5.1 Thought we could solo old content now?

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 5 6 7 12 Next
12/04/2012 11:42 AMPosted by Brennvin
Moving forward, though, we do not plan to adjust encounters for tougher raid bosses to be solo’able by all classes and specs.
So not everyone gets to farm the new pets?

Nice.
12/04/2012 12:19 PMPosted by Thortok
What we did change were encounters that were mechanically impossible for one person to accomplish

It's mechanically impossible for me to generate ice damage to solo Viscidus.

I was actually able to solo the twins after 15 minutes because I did just barely enough dps to do more than they heal for. But I can't do Viscidus solo. It's mechanically impossible.

You keep using that word, "impossible." I do not think you know what that word means.
I'm on a solo crusade right now to try out what's possible and what isn't. Thus far, I've beaten all the classic, all of bc except for vashj (idk how it would be possible for a warrior since you can't stop her from getting to max giant snake lady size) and obviously Sunwell, Naxx done and I'm burning through Ulduar and currently working on mimiron after that its the general and yogg.

The beauty of the changes and hotfixes is that it doesn't make the bosses changed "easy" it just makes them possible. Every boss is a challenge, you have to burn through junk avoid junk figure out how the mechanics work when you're alone etc. SO much fun. Thorim was especially fun and tricky.

For those that seem confused:

first BWL boss- channel as SOON as the start adds are dead WITH ONE CLICK and do not attack any of the adds with the boss/if you HAVE to sleep the dragonkin. Start with the eggs where the channel kicks in and work your way to the farthest point then inward. after the first channel runs out veeery quickly aoe the adds near you and start the channel again before the boss gets to you. All about how efficiently you can get to those eggs before he dies, on the attempt before I got him I got the last egg at the exact same moment he died and it wiped me, that's how close it can be. You will wipe a few times, just keep refining your strategy.

AQ40- Bring frost oil for the slime, twin emperors are simple now just burn your appropriate boss with your back to a wall, C'Thun is also simple now just kill him/adds until you're in the stomach and kill whatever is in there=you win.

Black Temple- Reliquary of souls... oh how I hated this boss in the past. Very simple now, doesn't necessarily require interrupting the stun anymore even you just have to take it verry slow and don't blow yourself up with the reflect. Illidan... I had never gotten to him alone before so I don't know if it was fixed in any way. The fire adds killed me once, just have to burn them and use defensive cds.

Naxx- I'm unsure as to what exactly was fixed as I couldn't do this previously in lesser gear anyways, so I'll just say something about the more tricky ones.
Gluth- Burn him, ignore the zombies. They won't outheal your damage. It's a race to beat his blow you up thing.
Thaddius- The starting add phase is reeeally difficult, damage is high. Pick a side and beat on the add, but do not kill it. When the other makes it to you beat on it. Then kill them both at the same time and jump to the platform. It will scare you and damage you for awhile but after a few seconds it stops and he activates.
Four horseman- I was worried about this one but it wasn't bad. Go to the back and start it. AOE the 3 on your side, go over and kill the other. Low damage.
Instructor Razuvious- Dudes a beast, he very nearly killed me. MCing one of the adds is pretty much a waste of time, he just throws crap at you and the add does weak sauce damage to him. Run in there and aoe them down and BURN him.

Ulduar- Nothing was changed. It's hard. Lol.

If you have difficulty with any of these it's more than likely you just need to come back when you're able to pull more dps through gear or getting better or whatever it is that has you too low. You CAN do it though :D

I'm sure I forgot some, if anyone needs help feel free to make a toon on my server and throw me a whisper I'll be happy to work through the fight with you. I realize people have been doing this since cata but for non dks it was still very difficult until the panda patch gave the rest of us decent healing :) .

Happy hunting.
"RAID CONTENT"

Nuff said. It isn't meant to be solo'd. I wish Blizzard would force a minimum size of like 10 people to even enter these raids.
12/04/2012 01:40 PMPosted by Greef
Moving forward, though, we do not plan to adjust encounters for tougher raid bosses to be solo’able by all classes and specs.

Nice.

Learn the mechanics and come prepared. There's nothing stopping anyone from getting these pets besides themselves.

Worst case scenario, either grab a friend to help you out, or level a character more suited to soloing old content. A vast majority of the classes should be perfectly capable of farming every boss pet, and some are going to be better at it than others simply due to how their class works. Roll a monk or a Death Knight, those can solo every boss that drops one of the pets.
12/04/2012 01:40 PMPosted by Greef
So not everyone gets to farm the new pets

Farm and sell the ones you can, buy the ones you cant.
You can solo the twinks you need only out dps the healing they do the teleport is nothing more then a small issue just power on through although i haven't beaten cthun yet he instant kills me when i am in his stomach
12/04/2012 02:06 PMPosted by Susanorasu
You can solo the twinks you need only out dps the healing they do the teleport is nothing more then a small issue just power on through although i haven't beaten cthun yet he instant kills me when i am in his stomach

He doesn't do that instantly anymore, it takes him several minutes. Try it again and you should be able to accomplish it.
Does any1 have a work around for hunters? As normal enchants like deathfrost cannot go on the weapon...
What we did change were encounters that were mechanically impossible for one person to accomplish

I was actually able to solo the twins after 15 minutes because I did just barely enough dps to do more than they heal for. But I can't do Viscidus solo. It's mechanically impossible.

Actually, Priests have it easier than most classes. We can Mind Spike, it's considered shadowfrost damage and it will freeze him, I just did it last night. Now, what I couldn't do was shatter him once frozen, I don't hit fast enough to do 30 hits in 30 seconds. Reading this thread has given me some ideas like a potion of speed, Barov Peasant Caller, etc. I'll try again this week.

Nice.

You can solo virtually every boss from Molten Core to Naxxramas, but some will require more effort than others (like Vashj). The only two bosses I found were not possible were Kalecgos because the portals wouldn't spawn, and High Astromancer Solarian because she still mind controls you and then resets.

Mind Spike is Shadowfrost damage and works. The harder part is meleeing it enough times.
12/04/2012 02:17 PMPosted by Vèngeance
Does any1 have a work around for hunters? As normal enchants like deathfrost cannot go on the weapon...

You can still equip melee weapons, you just can't equip a ranged and melee at the same time.
It is mechanically impossible for his finger to push these buttons
12/04/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Gabath

Me sad :(

Me too . . . so what lucky classes will be choosen for the honor of soloing bosses? Will all classes have an opportunity to have at least several bosses available or will it only be a few classes with that privilege?
We believe there was a lot of confusion when we originally announced this change and we're certainly at fault for said confusion. The original patch note was very vague to the point of being misleading. It was never our intent to weaken old raid boss encounters to allow anyone to have a chance to solo them, regardless of class, spec, or skill.

What we did change were encounters that were mechanically impossible for one person to accomplish, solely for the purpose of ensuring players have easier access to the hunt for the new rare companion pets -- the drop rates of which are actually set to account for a group of three players, not one.

No, your original notes were pretty plain to the educated, I understand you have to dumb it down for people because education is in the toilet. But yes, for those of us who arent failures, we understood it meant that you no longer needed 2 people to summon a boss.
I'm highly disappointed in this. I was hoping old content WOULD be made soloable so that I wouldn't have to inconvenience other people by asking them to come do this stuff with me because I can't do it on my own.

Well, there goes THAT novel plan.

Agreed. This is disappointing. I mean, it's old content that nobody runs anymore, so I don't see the harm in tuning it to be possible via solo play to get cool things like transmog gear and pets. While it's just a guess, I don't think it would really take that much time to tweak a few of the outlier encounters to be possible via solo play while still remaining challenging. As an additional thought, implement a "tank" buff that removes critical strikes for characters X level above the intended level of the raid dungeon so that tank classes dont have an inherent advantage.

Meh.
We believe there was a lot of confusion when we originally announced this change and we're certainly at fault for said confusion. The original patch note was very vague to the point of being misleading. It was never our intent to weaken old raid boss encounters to allow anyone to have a chance to solo them, regardless of class, spec, or skill.

What we did change were encounters that were mechanically impossible for one person to accomplish, solely for the purpose of ensuring players have easier access to the hunt for the new rare companion pets -- the drop rates of which are actually set to account for a group of three players, not one.

So did you make it so I can solo gunship? Or are you being full of it?

Pretty disappointing, I can't solo Viscidus because I play a Priest (can't melee fast enough for the shatter).

"RAID CONTENT"

Nuff said. It isn't meant to be solo'd. I wish Blizzard would force a minimum size of like 10 people to even enter these raids.

It's outdated content. We're going to outgear it eventually. Forcing a minimum size of 10 people to enter is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen proposed.
I'm highly disappointed in this. I was hoping old content WOULD be made soloable so that I wouldn't have to inconvenience other people by asking them to come do this stuff with me because I can't do it on my own.

Well, there goes THAT novel plan.

Agreed. This is disappointing. I mean, it's old content that nobody runs anymore, so I don't see the harm in tuning it to be possible via solo play to get cool things like transmog gear and pets. While it's just a guess, I don't think it would really take that much time to tweak a few of the outlier encounters to be possible via solo play while still remaining challenging. As an additional thought, implement a "tank" buff that removes critical strikes for characters X level above the intended level of the raid dungeon so that tank classes dont have an inherent advantage.

Meh.

Agreed, I mean they did make some tweaks and improvements, but there is still some other stuff that just needs a little fix.They don't have to re-write an entire encounter, just remove the insta-kill, stunlock, and group only mechanics.

I don't mind at all if it's hard, but I thought solo meant...you know....solo.