Selling Challenge modes?

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Has anyone achieved a level of success doing it yet? I've still seen very little of it posted. I've seen some mention the prospects of trying it but no one actually doing it yet. I know it'd be super easy to sell silver to even the most pathetic and mediocre of dps specs. It might even be possible to sell gold for really exceptional groups of 4 people and a 5th person (buyer) who isn't too terrible.

Also, before anyone asks (after looking at my achieves). Obviously i wouldn't be the seller. I'd be a buyer of a said run. I would also make every effort to make the most suitable dps set possible as well.
The issue you run into is, the price of selling golds is astronomical to be worthwhile for the sellers. I've looked into it and people just don't seem to be willing to pay what 5 people's time is worth. Silvers on the other hand are easy breezy.
It's very easy to sell Bronze/Silver to anyone but for Gold you need a good setup + the buyer still needs to be able to do some DPS.
After completing CM's the desire to go back is very low because they are very frustrating at times. However for the right price it does seem worth it but because you're going to be splitting it between 4 people the price is going to be quite high.
I think you'll see it more later in the expansion when players have more free time, like around that same point you see people doing transmog and random achievement runs. Whenever people do start selling them, I'd expect it to be on the Achievement forum. I haven't been on there lately, so I don't know if it's already going on.

The questions whether or not there's a market for it given the likely high price to justify the time investment, split 4 ways. If somebody just wanted a cool transmog armor, they might opt for T3 from the BMAH instead.
Yeah I'm really not sure how much of a market there is. All silvers might have a market since you can pretty easily so the price would be pretty reasonable. However all golds even if doable, which I suspect it is with some effort and a decently skilled buyer is probably too expensive to be worth it for most people. You are probably looking in area of 1 mil for a full set of gold runs and I'm not sure at those prices it isn't just worth creating your own group for most people.
You can transfer a gbank with gold to transfer up to the gbank cap of 1 million.

I think the biggest issue with selling cms in the lack of barrier of entry. For most raid sales part of the value is that most people can't just go out and set up to get this themselves because putting together 9 other people for a roster and gearing them is a non-trivial process. For CMs all you are selling is experience, the gear requirement is minimal and 4 people isn't hard to find.

At the same time however the cost is going to be astronomical since the time commitment is probably higher then most raid sales and it isn't a pure carry. The combination of these things make me suspect there won't be a particularly big market for CM gold sales.
I plan on finishing the last two I need tonight/tomorrow and never looking back. I'd probably be willing to sell silvers to a players at a reasonable price, but the thought of attempting to carry a person through some of the tougher golds is not something I would want to do without the price being crazy high.
11/23/2012 09:01 PMPosted by Bragg
I plan on finishing the last two I need tonight/tomorrow and never looking back.

It's unfortunate but I see that with the majority of gold-attaining players. It seems as though the leaderboard thing never really caught on.

Here's a random idea, perhaps Blizzard could reward the players posting the top 5% of times each week on a realm or region. Maybe 2k gold to account for consumables, one of those satchel type bags, or something else. Golds not bad because it'll cover the consumable cost. Like every week is like the end of an arena season of sorts with rewards being mailed out and what not.

Blizzard thinks the VP reward is incentive enough to keep players coming back, but perhaps this idea could augment it. I come up with a lot of random ideas but I really like that one, provided it's not too straining on the servers to do that every week.
11/23/2012 09:01 PMPosted by Bragg
I plan on finishing the last two I need tonight/tomorrow and never looking back. I'd probably be willing to sell silvers to a players at a reasonable price, but the thought of attempting to carry a person through some of the tougher golds is not something I would want to do without the price being crazy high.

I fully expect a crazy high price.

Blizzard thinks the VP reward is incentive enough to keep players coming back, but yeah, maybe something else like that would be good. I come up with a lot of random ideas but I really like that one, provided it's not too straining on the servers to do that every week.

it's really not. not when you get 450VP a week just facerolling LFR with far less time and effort. 400VP a week just clearing the raid content. This only leaves you 150VP short of weekly cap, and you are forced to do 90 charms of dailies a week anyways, which assuming 2 per, is 45 dailies a week, or 225VP from that. Basically. sure you could do challenge modes instead of LFR, but why would you do that? as for the other two, you're going to do both of those anyways so whether challenge modes are faster than them is entirely irrelevant since it's not either or scenario. It's merely LFR vs challenge modes and LFR wins for time/reward efficiency. The math clearly spells out challenge modes is just a flat out inefficient way to earn VP unless your desire is to cap very early in week and then be earning no VP for rest of week (which some would do. But the majority will choose the simplest and most efficient grind available to them). Alternatively, there may be challenge mode groups who don't raid but that's a rare breed. If you're capable of challenge modes you're likely a raider.
All silvers (and thus bronze as well) can realistically be obtained in ~3 hours, so finding a deal for the pheonix mount and the title shouldn't be too hard. Gold medals, on the other hand...

It's not only a matter of time investment. I can see exceptional groups carrying an average player through some of the easier challenges, such as Scholomance, but for the harder ones, like Stormstout Brewery, that fifth player really needs to pull his own weight or the group will never make the gold time.

Nevertheless, I anticipate that such groups will sell the transmo set, and that the price will simply be proportional to the number of attempts required — a compensation for the buyer's learning curves.

Oh, and for the record, with 3 golds yet to grab, the players I run with are interested in running challenges again just to beat our times (we know we can do better in all of them) but we don't plan on selling runs.
There was a guild selling them for 250k per instance in the achievement forums. That thread was deleted.
We tried to sell silvers but nobody was really interested in it. Most of the people interested in these are solely interested in golds, and outside of a few of these instances we don't believe we could reliably sell gold to a run of the mill player inside of these. A few of the easier ones, sure but it's still not certain.

The problem is the time commitment is rather large for achieving these and it depends largely on the player. Most of the good quality players that are interested in golds can probably do it themselves. The players who want gold and aren't so good might buy them, but at what cost? It's a lot easier to carry deadweight in a 10/25 man heroic raiding environment (when things are on farm) than it will ever be in 5 man CM. 20% of your group is this player and outside of knowing what to do, your gear is roughly the same as the first time you went into them.

Full silver I'd do around 75-100k because those are pretty easy for people who know the instances inside and out. Gold on the other hand would be pretty hard and not worth the price tag/time unless you physically were playing that persons account (which you aren't allowed to do).
I think you'd need to sell over more than one day, yeah, and that doesn't work well when selling. The Ancestral Phoenix mounts are nice but don't exactly floor people either. You can buy the Alani mount for around the same price.
Yeah my group of 6 sellers (we rotate people in) have sold two people full gold and have made almost 200k per person. Selling full silver also is extremely easy and quick money.
11/23/2012 08:30 PMPosted by Fierydemise
Yeah I'm really not sure how much of a market there is. All silvers might have a market since you can pretty easily so the price would be pretty reasonable. However all golds even if doable, which I suspect it is with some effort and a decently skilled buyer is probably too expensive to be worth it for most people. You are probably looking in area of 1 mil for a full set of gold runs and I'm not sure at those prices it isn't just worth creating your own group for most people.

11/24/2012 12:59 AMPosted by Juicyjc
Yeah my group of 6 sellers (we rotate people in) have sold two people full gold and have made almost 200k per person. Selling full silver also is extremely easy and quick money.

And this is why it's not worth it for most people. a million gold, 200k for TWO sets of gold runs per person? That's a LOT of work for very little reward. A Rag run could net you 20k per head in just a few minutes of work. A set of silvers can get you close to 100k a person for AT MOST 2-3 hours. Golds? Realistically it's going to be a lot more effort and time and a million gold split 4-5 ways is just not that much money. I think it would have to be at least 1.5 to be a worthwhile endeavor, so when people are doing it for less that sounds even less appealing. Learn to value your time better! :/
Some people I know are selling the full gold 9/9 for like 250k. I personally think they could do better, but the price varies by server pop.

For example, Mimiron's head on my server sold for less than 150k on BMAH.
I would suggest a flat-rate model that also has pay-per-hour tied in with it.

Example: 100k per gold + 25k/hour after the first hour, tallied every 15 min.

So if scholo takes 45 min but brewery takes 3 hours, the total would come out to 250k.

But I would imagine that half the reason for charging both arms or legs for 9 golds would be to dissuade people who can't be carried. Most people who would have that kind of money would either bot, control their servers' AH, or do tons of GDKP/mount sales.
11/24/2012 07:07 AMPosted by Faderoll
Some people I know are selling the full gold 9/9 for like 250k. I personally think they could do better, but the price varies by server pop.

That is an absolutely incredible price. Assuming it takes 5+ hours to sell all golds at 250K you are making at most 10K per hour per person and that just doesn't seem like enough to be worth it especially given the content isn't trivial.