Solar Beam-1; Shaman-0

Shaman
Prev 1 7 8 9 Next
Maybe they did. But you. Didn't.

No, i was the RL carrying them clowns through.

I was the one teaching them the fights, reteaching them the fights, leading the raids, carrying the DPS

i wasnt on this shaman. i was on my Mage.
Considering PM had the top 3's team in the battlegroup with Garbagmanx's RMP (until that account was banned :'( ) i find what you say... completely moronic.

and PS also had the top team in 2's and 3's for a while as well. Sandmon/Apparition/(i forget who was their third..)

Sounds like PVP is hurting more than PvE these days if that's the case. If morons like that can take top spots, PvP is officially dead.
Just wondering, but when is your next QQ thread planned?

I believe this is the second so far in a week.
12/02/2012 05:59 PMPosted by Platform
I believe this is the second so far in a week.

Depends on work schedule. working every day this week for 12+hours til my show closes on saturday... probably wont be posting much.

so. ill make up for it next week.

12/02/2012 05:58 PMPosted by Mist
Sounds like PVP is hurting more than PvE these days if that's the case.

Yes, that is absolutely true.

12/02/2012 05:58 PMPosted by Mist
If morons like that can take top spots, PvP is officially dead.

you must have a main in butt-hurt <The Crew> or <Zergship of the East>
12/02/2012 05:53 PMPosted by Jkspiritlink

Link its armory
12/02/2012 05:24 PMPosted by Jkspiritlink
Disagree. i raided H DS with several very high rated pvp'ers last season and they were awful.

He's not saying that they're automatically good at one just because they're great at the other. He's saying that the same basic skill set is required to perform at a high end level in both, and that because of that they're able to perform adequately with a little application. If you're great with one, it does not take much beyond learning the details of the other to be strong at the other.

Situational awareness, the ability to communicate and coordinate, and a strong knowledge of at the very least their own class (though the highest end of pvp requires a good understanding of every class, not just your own) are the basics required for each side. Everything else is just building things upon those skills.

12/02/2012 05:53 PMPosted by Jkspiritlink
No, i was the RL carrying them clowns through.

Having RL'd both 10s and 25s, I can say I share your pain. RLing is one of the more stressful things in this game.

12/02/2012 06:02 PMPosted by Rude

Link its armory

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/Rayn%C3%B3r/advanced

Do you even chrome rude? >.>
you must have a main in butt-hurt <The Crew> or <Zergship of the East>

I haven't been on ED for like almost two years now.
12/02/2012 06:05 PMPosted by Gistwiki
If you're great with one, it does not take much beyond learning the details of the other to be strong at the other.

I agree that sounds correct, but in practice, i've played with multi glads for months in heroic dragon soul.. they never had a night where they didnt make stupid mistakes.

couldnt tell you why they failed so miserably at pve when they were all so good at pvp, but they did fail miserably at pve. And i agree there are probably some people who are great at both, much like there are some athletes who can do good at multiple sports.... and some who cant.

the ones ive seen, cant. Definitely, cant.

also this is my mage.
I remain... unimpressed.
12/02/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Rude
I remain... unimpressed.

mage isnt impressive atm.

i dont play him. havent even gotten him a full set of honor pvp gear.

PVE the class got destroyed. combustion was the only thing fun about it, and it was brutally murdered...the class still does very high damage, but just isnt fun.

pvp, its too polar. you either one shot something. or get one shot. there really isnt much of a middle ground.

also mage transmogs suck .

so... i play shaman. sort of.
If you're great with one, it does not take much beyond learning the details of the other to be strong at the other.

I agree that sounds correct, but in practice, i've played with multi glads for months in heroic dragon soul.. they never had a night where they didnt make stupid mistakes.

couldnt tell you why they failed so miserably at pve when they were all so good at pvp, but they did fail miserably at pve. And i agree there are probably some people who are great at both, much like there are some athletes who can do good at multiple sports.... and some who cant.

the ones ive seen, cant. Definitely, cant.

also this is my mage.

I linked the armory already for ya. You didn't have to do that <3

The statement in question is more of a "generally this is the case because of x/y/z" rather than a "because of A, B must be true" kind of a thing. If they have the skill set required to succeed in high end pvp, they have the skill set required to succeed in high end pve. However the two are different enough that the transition isn't super easy, and if you aren't interested in putting at least a bit of the level of effort you gave for the one you won't succeed with the other.

Basically, it's a part of the reason why my ratings are balls right now, but were decent back in S6-7 when I actually put in the time to figure out what I was doing in pvp. I don't put the effort I should be into doing well in pvp because I don't care all that much about it, but I did put the effort in when I wanted to prove to the world back at the start of S7 that Holy Pala/Ele Sham/Arms Warrior was a legit 3s comp (we made it to ~2250 before the warrior quit the game, which was #3 with that composition worldwide at the time - Yes, I kept tabs on it >.> ) and did fairly well with it.

The other part of the reason my ratings are balls right now is because I've stubbornly stuck with pvp Elemental, which is like early WoTLK boomkins for pvp at the moment >.>

12/02/2012 06:14 PMPosted by Jkspiritlink
mage isnt impressive atm.

Well. He was likely more talking about the pve achievements ^.^
I linked the armory already for ya. You didn't have to do that <3

you linked it while i was typing. and *shudder* it felt gross putting that avatar up. why do mage transmogs suck such monkey nuts?

12/02/2012 06:17 PMPosted by Gistwiki
If they have the skill set required to succeed in high end pvp, they have the skill set required to succeed in high end pve

idk, i do think of it as a professional athlete. Having the skill set to be a professional baseball player and having the skill set to be a professional cricket player share alot of commonalities. things like coordination, accuracy when throwing a ball, accuracy when hitting a ball in a similar manner, speed while sprinting, etc. etc.

but i dont think that being a professional baseball player will make you even a halfway decent cricket player, it might put you at an advantage over someone else who is also picking up the new sport for the first time, but its still very very possible to be insanely good at baseball and not get cricket.

Elemental, which is like early WoTLK boomkins for pvp at the moment >.>

Which just got even harder to deal with due to the nerf, and interestingly, brings me back to my title of the thread, how boomkins' solar beam is soooo ridiculous against shaman.

Well. He was likely more talking about the pve achievements ^.^

was still the best mage on ED and FW for pve. i had some really great parses despite never getting higher than a few off peices of heroic DS gear.. i think i had 3, + DTR. still parsed top 10% or higher on most fights even when placed against players in full heroic DS gear.
12/02/2012 06:24 PMPosted by Jkspiritlink
but i dont think that being a professional baseball player will make you even a halfway decent cricket player, it might put you at an advantage over someone else who is also picking up the new sport for the first time, but its still very very possible to be insanely good at baseball and not get cricket.

All about the time you put into it imo. It's possible that you're unable to pick it up to be sure (some people just have trouble with certain specifics that make it difficult I guess,) but I firmly believe that if you put the same amount of effort into the other as you did the one, you'll do well. Perhaps not as good as you were at the first one, but still more than good enough for the majority of it.

why do mage transmogs suck such monkey nuts?

Was there never a really good mage tier set?

Which just got even harder to deal with due to the nerf, and interestingly, brings me back to my title of the thread, how boomkins' solar beam is soooo ridiculous against shaman.

Think that thing ended with a "yeah, it really does suck atm." My guess is that what happens on the blizzard end on this subject will happen in the next 2-3 weeks:

1) If they like how the change turns out, they'll include the why in an upcoming dev watercooler or general response to one of our more reasonable threads in Healing/Arena/GD forums.
2) If they don't like how the change turns out, they'll quietly make a change to the change in the next content patch (yeah, unless it's worse than your hype I don't see a hotfix forthcoming) that alleviates much of the pain brought on by the change, and we may or may not hear about it at all.

Just a guess.
12/02/2012 06:49 PMPosted by Gistwiki
Was there never a really good mage tier set?

Heroic 25m ICC was freakin' amazing. i still have it in my mages bank

I really enjoyed timelords regalia from DS, kept that one too...

and the challenge mode gear looks pretty sweet. giant wizard hat, yes please!

but shaman gear is just so much better!

ulduar.... vengeful... brilliant sets. there are others too but those are my personal favorites.
You know after reading all 8 pages of this the only thing I learned is that jkspiritlink can make himself look like a jackass and that he should prolly stop making threads.
12/03/2012 03:57 AMPosted by Ganen
You know after reading all 8 pages of this the only thing I learned is that jkspiritlink can make himself look like a jackass and that he should prolly stop making threads.

Pretty sure I said that on EDrama at some point.
/popcorn
This is the thread where I come in and start bashing random people cause I'm mad right?
12/01/2012 05:52 AMPosted by BipstThey brought what they had before because it is still strong now at the highest level of play.Dear god no. Shadowplay is crud. its so ridiculously gimped its only a tribute to their skill that they took as high as 4th place. And like i say, if someone had brought a kitty cleave, would have demolished everything and everyone. Team EG brough Shadowplay because thats what Team EG is.

Figured I'd go ahead and put forth the effort to disprove you here with actual numbers instead of just conjecture (on both our parts).

http://www.worldofwargraphs.com/stats-compsrepartition-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0---0.html

Sample of 24,000 arena comps above 2200 rating.

Kitty cleave

-win% with hpal 64.1
-win% with rsham 65.1
-highest ranked comp 2502

Shadowplay

-win% 74
-highest ranking 2512

Also kitty cleave is about 6x more popular as a comp. 3x if you only include rsham as the healer.

Shadowplay was viable in cataclysm and still is. You can't argue with numbers.

I also find it funny that you think pros don't know this kind of stuff. I'm about as casual a player as you can get and I know this stuff.

Bottom line the teams brought what they thought could win. I'm sure part of it had to do with them being comfortable with the specs that they qualified with, but at the end of the day the pros knew that the comp they brought had a great shot at winning given its relative strength to other comps and thats why they brought it.