Mage portals

General Discussion
Alright, I wanted to ask a general question regarding common courtesy when it comes to mage portals. I've had situations, where I've posted in trade for a portal to get to a place, get a tell from someone that says "alright let me log onto my alt" and then i get a tell from a mage that's already online, offering to take me to the place I want to go, so usually I've gone along with that. Then when I get a tell from the other mage, they blast me for making them log over to their alt for nothing.

I am curious as to your thoughts and opinions on this, was it wrong of me to just take the person who could get me to where I wanted to be fastest (to me that's the whole point of taking a mage portal, to get to where I want to go now, and not later)? Is there an unspoken rule or norm in this game, that if a mage offers you service, even if they are taking 5 whole mintues to get back to you, if they offered the portal to you first, you should just sit there and wait?

It was a HUGE problem for me in cata really, as I'm an impatient person that tends to want to whoosh my way through things. Thank GOODNESS there are portals to every city at the shrines now, as this will no longer be a concern. Though I am considering buying the service of a level 90 mage from both factions, to get all of my horde and alliance alts to the shrine if possible, simply so I don't have to rely on mages, ever again for portal service.

But seriously, what are your opinions on this? Is is it the case that it's an unspoken norm in wow, that the first person that offers you service for a portal somewhere is who you accept it from, even if the clock is ticking and you're in a hurry to get to where you want to go, or am I perfectly in the right, being the impatient person I am, to accept whoever is ready to serve me right now?
You can either tell the person switching to an alt that that is not necessary or wait on them. It doesn't take that long to switch. It really is not nice to basically interrupt another players time and then not needing them.
Don't use mages. set up a tactical hearthstone in a place like the shrine and choose which portals you need to use and in what order.

Say i need to go to stormwind, i go to dal on my way there through a portal at the shrine just incase i need to stop by somewhere in dal.

Engineering helps with the wormhole generators although i rarely use them.

Just know your cities and be practical, i have never used a mage port.
First off... I don't think it takes someone 5 minutes to insta log out and log into their mage.

If someone is willing to offer me a port and they need to switch toons, generally I'll wait, because they are using their time to give me a port, because half the time I'll spam trade for 10 minutes and not get a single mage wanting to port me. (Lazy mages....)

Was it kind of a douche move on your part? Yea I'd think so... but if you're that impatient to get somewhere in a game, do what you want.

The only exception is if they literally and I mean LITERALLY take more than 2 minutes to log back in & you have another mage pst you. In an inn or city it's an instantaneous logout, relogging in on another character takes roughly 15-30 seconds unless your computer is complete crap.
I think it's kind of rude, yes.

Many players do the portals just to help out, mages aren't exactly rolling in cash because of giving people portals.

So when you take advantage of that and waste their time, it's kind of a slap in the face to them... and then in the future they are less likely to try to give portals.

In fact, it's why I don't on my mage anymore. It's just not worth my time to and my "free love" meter was drained dry there.
Yes, that's what I intend to do, to use the shrine at all costs.

12/04/2012 06:58 AMPosted by Littledeer
You can either tell the person switching to an alt that that is not necessary or wait on them. It doesn't take that long to switch. It really is not nice to basically interrupt another players time and then not needing them.

Yeah, I'm the most impatient person I know, so if it ever become necessary to advertise in trade for a portal again I will put in brackets (first person that ports me somewhere gets the gold) or something to protect myself from that problem, because usually by the time I'm trying to tell someone don't worry, I've got the portal I needed they showing as offline. But in all seriousness, because I know how impatient I am in getting to places around Azeroth, that's why I make a point to open every single portal in the game I possibly can, like I always did as much as I can of the cata quests, to at least get the portals open, so I don't have too many issues. The cata quests will be easy to get back to now for the portals, at level 90, to give me more access to the rest of the world on my alts.
It's like calling a cab company and having them send a cab for you, and while you wait you see another cab driving on the street so instead you get in that one and take off, leaving the cab you called to sit and wonder were you were. It's a waste of time and it's rude.
its nothing major in the actions to click a bittun, wait 19 seconds, then invite and port..but barefones that, he might have needed whatever you where gonna offer himn for the port, and when he cama back you where gone, yeah, that can be a bummer. he switchd to help, but got stuck..it happens

Many players do the portals just to help out, mages aren't exactly rolling in cash because of giving people portals.

So when you take advantage of that and waste their time, it's kind of a slap in the face to them... and then in the future they are less likely to try to give portals.

In fact, it's why I don't on my mage anymore. It's just not worth my time to and my "free love" meter was drained dry there.

Agreed. As a former mage this used to annoy the hell out of me. It was even worse when you'd get some random whisper from a lowbie that was stuck in Exodar or something and begging you to come port them so I'd stop what I was doing, port to Exodar and then find out he got a port from someone else 10 seconds before I got there and I just wasted that time for nothing.

Snowfox, I just wanted to say that if your mage is any of the servers I play, and I did that to you on one of my alts, I do apologize if I hurt your feelings. I just desire complete independence in this game outside of pvp and raids, much like I desire in real life, to try and rely on others as little as possible to get around the world. Now fortunately I have a repair mammoth on both my horde/alliance alts, and with the Shrines as a good spot, this will no longer be an issue for me. Maybe it's a character flaw of mine, but in most cases, the only situation where I will ask for a mage portal, is for an alt to get to Theramore for quick access to the Uldum quests, to open the Uldum portal, as sometimes it can feel a bit long to fly up all the way to the wetlands to catch the boat, this is because this portal is extremely handy to open, as it's close to AQ40, and the alliance cities on Kalimdoor are a long way from this area. So essentially, I would only ask for mage portals, so I don't have to ask for mage portals anymore and can go to where I want to in the world, when I want.

This all said, if anyone has a level 90 mage on my server, if you wanted to add me to btag sometime, so I could buy some portals for my alts to the shrines (horde and/or alliance) I do have some gold I could give you. And yes, it will be agreed, that I WILL wait for you in advance this time :).
Generally, if I'm not playing a mage, I find another way. If I MUST find a portal, I find a mage near me and ask them privately. I would never go to the general chat to beg for a port.

And if I get a lift from someone, I always tip.

The biggest thing is to stay off the general chat and you won't have that problem.

+1
I don't get annoyed easily, so if I log over to my mage to give a port and they used a different mage, my typical reaction is "okie dokie".
If you agreed to let the first toon help you, then you have made an agreement.

It is up to you to determine how valuable your agreements happen to be.
12/04/2012 07:07 AMPosted by Sarlicic
It's like calling a cab company and having them send a cab for you, and while you wait you see another cab driving on the street so instead you get in that one and take off, leaving the cab you called to sit and wonder were you were. It's a waste of time and it's rude.

Umm, someone I know does this ALL the time, because she has a physical disability and it's painful to stand on her legs for a long period of time, and its often a struggle to understand what half the people that run taxi's are saying anyway, due to their accents, I mean if the choice is waiting for 30 minutes and causing yourself unnecessary pain, and annoying someone a bit...well I simply don't know where I stand with that, personally, as to me it's a very grey area. I think that's a lot more grey than the situation I'm describing.

As an aside, I do actually have a mage, where I did switch over to give someone service, who no longer needed it, I remember being mildly frustrated at the time, but I just shrugged it off, probably knowing that I probably would have done the same thing.
Maybe I'm mean, but I've played a mage since vanilla and when I've been on alts I've never switched to my mage to port someone....
If you ask for a portal and I accept the request and then you stiff me...

I put your name on my list and you will never get a portal from me again...

ever.

I have 400 names and counting.

Snowfox, I just wanted to say that if your mage is any of the servers I play, and I did that to you on one of my alts, I do apologize if I hurt your feelings. I just desire complete independence in this game outside of pvp and raids, much like I desire in real life, to try and rely on others as little as possible to get around the world.

No worries - It wasn't you, at least not unless this was months ago.