Rogue spell idea.

Rogue
I was thinking, currently rogue's main problem is survivabilty and mobility. So I was thinking, why not put ShS as baseline, and then replace the empty talent slot with something like this.

Umbra Shuffle: Teleports you to a targeted location (10-20 yards away?) and puts you in stealth for 1.5-2 seconds (It wouldn't allow stealth only abilities like cheapshot however, just make you invisible). 30 second cooldown.

It would work like herioc leap and priests mini stealth combined pretty much, this would increase our mobility by obviously teleporting towards the target, and increase our defense by mini vanishing incoming burst. Warriors already have a 12 second charge (ours is 24 seconds) and herioc leap, ferals can shapeshift out of roots and charge.

Rogue's have been wanting ShS baseline since the expansion began, and also gives incentive to pick preparation without being to heavily punished for it. It also would make the class more unique and feel more like a shadowy theif (something I feel the class has been missing for a while) and make the class seem less outdated compared to the other classes and their fresh new feels. And of course make the class more fun and bareble to play.
11/29/2012 09:35 PMPosted by Sekahn
It would work like herioc leap and priests mini stealth combined pretty much,

You got it wrong.

OTHER CLASSES get shiny new versions of rogue skills.

Rogues do not get shiny new versions of other classes skills.
You got it wrong.

OTHER CLASSES get shiny new versions of rogue skills.

Rogues do not get shiny new versions of other classes skills.

This is what happened.

Also i dont want shiny new versions of another classes skill. I want a rogue unique skills.
11/29/2012 09:35 PMPosted by Sekahn
Umbra Shuffle: Teleports you to a targeted location (10-20 yards away?) and puts you in stealth for 1.5-2 seconds. 30 second cooldown.

I like it. Stealth for 3 seconds (or untargetable by ranged attacks), 20 yards range and a 45 second cooldown, assuming now that all Rogues would have Shadowstep.
Rogues just need Poison Nova, or a way to throw down poison vials on the ground for people to slow or deal damage, or what not.

Hell, just allow us to use our poisons on the ground as an aoe effect.
Don't think it could give us real stealth, since a rogue stealthing is a lot more significant that any other class (but maybe druids) stealthing. Also I'd rather have this ability baseline and keep SS in the talent tree. Real stealth would also buff PvE by a lot.

Edit: That said while this ability would be cool and great I'd kinda rather something unique too, but it'd have to be equally interesting.
Displacer beast for us? In blizzard's eyes, that will be too much of a change for a rogue.
11/29/2012 10:10 PMPosted by Haileaus
That said while this ability would be cool and great I'd kinda rather something unique too, but it'd have to be equally interesting.

Saw this in another thread

Penumbra: Instant - 30 second cooldown.
The rogue momentarily slips into the shadows, leaving a Shade Clone to fight in their place for 6 seconds. Critical strikes on finishers have a chance of reducing the cooldown by 3 seconds up to a maximum of 15. (Like a vanish that lasts only 4-8 seconds and does not remove you from combat.)

Sounds cool but perhaps OP.

Credit goes to Tareanne for the idea.
Penumbra: Instant - 30 second cooldown.
The rogue momentarily slips into the shadows, leaving a Shade Clone to fight in their place for 6 seconds. Critical strikes on finishers have a chance of reducing the cooldown by 3 seconds up to a maximum of 15. (Like a vanish that lasts only 4-8 seconds and does not remove you from combat.)

Wait so where does the rogue go in this scenario, and how does it prevent making rogues too strong in PvE? Seems cool otherwise, and I guess they could always nerf some PvE stuff. 30 sec CD seems a bit low.
Wait so where does the rogue go in this scenario, and how does it prevent making rogues too strong in PvE? Seems cool otherwise, and I guess they could always nerf some PvE stuff. 30 sec CD seems a bit low.

Was thinking it might act like priests vanish-like thing, except the thing we leave behind attacks. Or we could just go alongside it and not even enter stealth. Perhaps put the CD up to 1m with critical strikes on finishers removing 3s on CD (to a maximum of 15/30s).

In other words changing it into

Penumbra: 1m cooldown
The rogues shadow momentarily joins the fight, lasting 6 seconds. Critical strikes on finishers removing 3s on CD (to a maximum of 15/30s).

However the shadow's damage would have to be decent since it only lasts 6 seconds. Trying to redo it so it doesn't give rogues an edge in PvE, however I don't PvE much, Any ideas on how to keep it a useful spell while at the same time not making us strong in PvE?

Also I don't see why not 30 second cooldown, a lot of other classes have much better abilities with that cooldown.
The difference is, Priests do not have "stealth only" abilities, so 30 seconds on their vanish isn't too short.

Displacer Beast breaks instantly on damage, like from DoTs, so without a Cloak of Shadows-type cooldown or even a true Vanish, Ferals would have to perfectly time the ability inbetween ticks as well as gauging the distance to actually be able to use a stealth-only ability. 30 seconds seems fair.

Monks have Transendance which was an ability I had hoped to see for Rogues since Warlocks had it. I feel like the pool of unique abilities has grown very shallow, with Rogues not having any of them.
I'd say yes to this if it's called Umbrella Shuffle instead.
The difference is, Priests do not have "stealth only" abilities, so 30 seconds on their vanish isn't too short.

Displacer Beast breaks instantly on damage, like from DoTs, so without a Cloak of Shadows-type cooldown or even a true Vanish, Ferals would have to perfectly time the ability inbetween ticks as well as gauging the distance to actually be able to use a stealth-only ability. 30 seconds seems fair.

Monks have Transendance which was an ability I had hoped to see for Rogues since Warlocks had it. I feel like the pool of unique abilities has grown very shallow, with Rogues not having any of them.

Well, I was thinking it just makes you invisible, not give the ability to use stealth only abilities.
So basically you want displacer beast.