servers up, no new pets?

Pet Battles
Prev 1 7 8 9 Next
11/29/2012 07:52 AMPosted by Tyburn
The more I play this mini-game, the more I think no wild battle-pet should be just a rare spawn. If you want to introduce grind/heavy effort it should be in the hunt for rare quality. The wild pets should either be a rare spawn with a chance at being secondaries zone wide, or they should have high spawn rate and an decreased chance for being rare quality. Then everyone can get a pet and have multiple options to getting a rare one - fighting a lot of their spawns or pursuing the upgrade path.

Personally, I think pets like minfernal and the scourgling absolutely NEED to have a chance to spawn with other pets in the entire zone. There's no reason people should be encouraged to afk in one spot for hours on end.

Also, I want some variety- I'm getting tired of rat/frog/rat or frog/moth/frog etc.
12/10/2012 06:45 AMPosted by Jujubiju
Also, I want some variety- I'm getting tired of rat/frog/rat or frog/moth/frog etc.

There are zones outside of felwood..
Personally, I think pets like minfernal and the scourgling absolutely NEED to have a chance to spawn with other pets in the entire zone. There's no reason people should be encouraged to afk in one spot for hours on end.

Wrong and wrong. There are HUNDREDS of pets out there free to capture whenever you want with a plethora of variety contrary to what you think. Blizzard is not hindering anyone in participating in pet battles - or prompting anyone from having a large collection. If you're a completionist (that really should be a word) and absolutely must have everything out there in a matter of a few hours, you're not going to find that in an MMO. Did that belt you want in *insert raid or heroic dungeon here* drop the first time you killed that boss? The second, the third? No one is forcing those people to camp there for, as you said 'hours and hours on end' - that's their choice. Some things in WoW are harder to obtain than others. This is WoW and the MMO genre 101.
No one is forcing those people to camp there for, as you said 'hours and hours on end' - that's their choice. Some things in WoW are harder to obtain than others. This is WoW and the MMO genre 101.

It literally goes against Blizzard's whole "WoW time is fine, but make sure to have a real life" saying (or "All things in moderation".)

For four days in a row the same gnome mage was in the one spot in Felwood- four days. He was even there at 3 in the morning all four of those days. I'm not exaggerating.

This is exactly why these spawns need to have a random chance to spawn with the other mini's.

As for being a completionist, no I'm not- but we all know folks who are. The current spawn rates are encouraging unhealthy behavior.

And, no there isn't any true variety as far as pet battles go. The most common spawns in a majority of zones are: critters, aquatic, flying, or beast. The least common spawns are elemental, undead, dragons, mechanical, humanoid, and magic (we are talking actual pet battle spawns- not random drops/created). Why do you think Bliz added in the new pets?

12/10/2012 07:07 AMPosted by Fly
There are zones outside of felwood..

Don't troll. If you bothered looking at the pets I have, you'd see I know this.
It literally goes against Blizzard's whole "WoW time is fine, but make sure to have a real life" saying (or "All things in moderation".)

Um, your point? Again, no one is forcing you to camp anything - it's your decision to play in moderation or not. Blizzard is just reminding you to play at your own risk. It's not like the game has a play time limit or governor or anything.
12/10/2012 07:51 AMPosted by Jujubiju
Don't troll. If you bothered looking at the pets I have, you'd see I know this.

If you knew this then why post the comment I quoted earlier? Pet battles is a new system with hundreds of pets to catch, I would consider what blizzards done so far to be great variety for something new to the game.

I'm sorry you are not having as much fun as the rest of us and want everything handed to you, good luck.
Hey, uh, Blizzard has had that moderation statement on the loading screen since I don't know when. Possibly vanilla, definitely BC. I chuckled when I saw that being used as an argument.

I agree with others here, no one is forcing anyone to camp anything. Are spawn rates horrible for some of the pets? Absolutely. But a conscious decision is being made by anyone who decides to sit in one place for hours at a chance to capture a pet.

I personally prefer the "capture by chance" method, as in when I happen to be flying by I'll take a sweep through. If nothing, I keep going. It took me awhile to get quite a few of the pets, and yes, some of them were a pain, but it wasn't horrible.

More variety in zones is something I whole heartedly agree with. The zones do come across as awfully bland. I find it hard to believe that not one critter or beast lives in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. It's all aquatic and flying.
11/27/2012 06:37 PMPosted by Bashiok

Is "some" realms rather than all the realms working as intended? Which special realms are these so I can go make alts on them?

They're random, so they're not going to spawn on every realm at the same time. So yeah, working as intended.

This is great! Finally someone who is casual can randomly run into a new pet without being forced to hunt for server restarts along with other campers.

Wrong and wrong. There are HUNDREDS of pets out there free to capture whenever you want with a plethora of variety contrary to what you think. Blizzard is not hindering anyone in participating in pet battles - or prompting anyone from having a large collection. If you're a completionist (that really should be a word) and absolutely must have everything out there in a matter of a few hours, you're not going to find that in an MMO. Did that belt you want in *insert raid or heroic dungeon here* drop the first time you killed that boss? The second, the third? No one is forcing those people to camp there for, as you said 'hours and hours on end' - that's their choice. Some things in WoW are harder to obtain than others. This is WoW and the MMO genre 101.

Except that there ALREADY exist a large number of "difficult to obtain" pets, outside of battle pets. The Fox Kit, the Sprite Darter Hatchling, the whelplings, the Hyacinth Macaw, the Black Tabby - these are all rare drops that can take months of farming to get. Even with the Fox Kit being available for TB tokens still takes weeks of doing dailies. The Argent Tournament pets require a significant amount of time doing dailies - you need 440 seals to own every AT pet and that takes weeks to obtain. Same with the Darkmoon Faire pets.

You seem to keep confusing being lucky/camping a spot with hard work. All of the above pets take time and dedication but no one complains about them. Plenty of people have ALREADY put in hard work to obtain pets. There's a difference between doing dailies/farming mobs and waiting in a spot, turning in circles, hoping you beat someone to the punch. Guess which one is more engaging and fun?

Please stop using the statement about putting in "hard work" to obtain rare pets - I have and my pet collection shows it. I'm willing to kill thousands of mobs for a chance at a pet. I'm not willing to try to be on for server restarts and stand in the same spot for hours.
Except that there ALREADY exist a large number of "difficult to obtain" pets, outside of battle pets. The Fox Kit, the Sprite Darter Hatchling, the whelplings, the Hyacinth Macaw, the Black Tabby - these are all rare drops that can take months of farming to get. Even with the Fox Kit being available for TB tokens still takes weeks of doing dailies. The Argent Tournament pets require a significant amount of time doing dailies - you need 440 seals to own every AT pet and that takes weeks to obtain. Same with the Darkmoon Faire pets.

You seem to keep confusing being lucky/camping a spot with hard work. All of the above pets take time and dedication but no one complains about them. Plenty of people have ALREADY put in hard work to obtain pets. There's a difference between doing dailies/farming mobs and waiting in a spot, turning in circles, hoping you beat someone to the punch. Guess which one is more engaging and fun?

Please stop using the statement about putting in "hard work" to obtain rare pets - I have and my pet collection shows it. I'm willing to kill thousands of mobs for a chance at a pet. I'm not willing to try to be on for server restarts and stand in the same spot for hours.

Except for the fact that the pets you listed do not need "hardwork" to obtain, I also have the pets you mentioned thanks to a 30 second stop at the AH.
12/10/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Fly
Except for the fact that the pets you listed do not need "hardwork" to obtain, I also have the pets you mentioned thanks to a 30 second stop at the AH.

This! I have no patience to farm lowbie mobs over and over again. I do have the patience to spend a few hours, give or take, each week using my professions and the AH to make the gold I need to buy what I want. Some people don't mind farming but don't want to "farm" the AH, everyone plays the game differently.
No one's arguing with you Phaedra. You're talking about farming pets and the topic at hand is wild pets - big difference.

As Sesamee points out in the post right after yours, that gold you freely spent in 30 secs on the AH still took some effort on your part to obtain. Doesn't matter if you play the AH - you still needed to put in time for the initial investment. Do you farm herbs or ore? Do you rock the inscription market? No matter what - you're still putting in an effort to make that gold to buy pets with.
12/10/2012 11:01 AMPosted by Seventizz
No one's arguing with you Phaedra. You're talking about farming pets and the topic at hand is wild pets - big difference.

Please explain, since my "farmed" pets can still do battle. I'll understand if you're arguing against the Argent Squire, Argent Gruntling, Guild Herald, Guild Page, inscription kites, or Ka'luk kite - but my Fox Kit and whelplings are still viable in battle.

You're the one arguing that some pets should take "hard work" and be "difficult to obtain". These pets exist. Heck, even with just the weather pets, seasonal pets, time-specific pets, and mob-tied pets, there are pets that are not commonly spawned.
That's what's great about this game. There's something for just about any style out there.

And it's nice to hear the grind farmer perspective - I didn't even know you guys speak English. ;)
12/10/2012 06:45 AMPosted by Jujubiju

And yet, for all of the repetition...a simple regular Frog can only be found in Ashenvale, and only if you clear out the Toads on the banks of the river. >.>
12/10/2012 11:01 AMPosted by Phaedra
As Sesamee points out in the post right after yours, that gold you freely spent in 30 secs on the AH still took some effort on your part to obtain.

I don't speak for everyone who runs the AH but for me it comes easy and takes little effort to make absurd amounts of gold. This is my only character on Illidan Horde (right out of the death knight zone) and it is just to bank on that server.

My comment was to you saying it takes "hardwork" to get those pets.. running the AH and then buying them was no hardwork on my end to obtain those pets.
There seems to be certain folks confused by what I mean:

I am talking actual pet battle spawns- not random drops/created. Random drops should stay rare (Azure Whelpling etc). World spawns- like minfernal and the scourgling- really need to have a chance to spawn with any of the other mini pets within the zone (unless those spawns require something special- like night time, for instance).

In fact, spawns that require special conditions are fine. To the best of my knowledge, minfernal and scourglings don't have these types of conditions, therefore it makes no sense why they can't spawn zone wide.

And, no there isn't any true variety as far as pet battles go. The most common spawns in a majority of zones are: critters, aquatic, flying, or beast.

The least common spawns are elemental, undead, dragons, mechanical, humanoid, and magic. We are talking actual pet battle spawns- not random drops/created.

Why do you think Bliz added in the new pets?
I don't speak for everyone who runs the AH but for me it comes easy and takes little effort to make absurd amounts of gold. This is my only character on Illidan Horde (right out of the death knight zone) and it is just to bank on that server.

I would say this was true for Cata and the end of Wrath but gold has been a lot harder to obtain this expansion. Unless you had a scribe when MoP first hit. As someone for whom 100k a week was a normal thing I can tell you it's no where close to that for a lot more effort. I wish I would have saved more and not given away so much gold to friends :/!!
12/10/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Fly

You are smart enough to know that the number of people that can afford to dump anywhere from 30k to upwards of 150k for pets on the AH, depending on economy, are the extreme minority, right?

Please tell me you're smart enough to know this.