Over-used Characters.

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
Prev 1 19 20 21 25 Next
The only other thing that bothers me, and still somehow continues to seem lore abiding and completely logical, is healing.
People RPing with extreme healing abilities that counteract nature itself, for instance, healing a wounded soldier who's arm has been cut off, replacing the lost limb. This goes past the pre-determined boundaries of healing that we've seen in game. I've witnessed roleplays where a player had instantly healed their own severed leg in the midst of battle.

Agreed.

When I RP healing, its not an easy thing and no way can severed limbs be 'regrown'. The way I see it, she has to concentrate on what shes doing and she has to know in exact detail what she is healing; its not just cast a simple spell and walk away oh hell no, she has to force the healing energy to repair the bone she just reset. She has had to master anatomy and physiology so she doesn't screw up. Its very exhausting thing to do, both mentally and physically as she is literally pouring mana/life energy into what she's doing.

In my mind, the healing spells also numb the pain as it works, so the patient doesn't feel their body being forced to repair itself at an insanely high speed which sound very painful.

My healer is also what we in RL would acknowledge as a paramedic/combat medic/ER doctor in the fact she is trained in more then just casting a couple spells when healing herself or others - she also can stitch them up, reset bones, make poultices, ect.
Honestly, I've also let my lack of skill at playing as a healer server as part of my paladin's character. He was much more skilled at the martial aspects of his training than the spritual, though not to the point where he can't call on the Light at all. He's capable of mending relatively minor cuts and bruises and whatnot, but that's about it; he still can't heal broken bones or major bleeding/burning, which lead to his current mindset of protecting others from those wounds in the first place, and delivering divine retribution on those who would cause such injuries to the innocent.
So, curious, what are people's stances on DKs who are RPing just the Necromancer portion? For instance just wearing a robe, raising dead, etc? Friend of mine used to RP that in Wrath because of the lack of a necromancer class. :x
02/05/2013 05:02 PMPosted by Jayanne
So, curious, what are people's stances on DKs who are RPing just the Necromancer portion? For instance just wearing a robe, raising dead, etc? Friend of mine used to RP that in Wrath because of the lack of a necromancer class. :x

I personally have little problem with it seeing as death knights are currently the only ones who can raise dead things; perhaps the most important if not defining part of being a necromancer. I'm actually more annoyed at those who rp dks as, seeing as one could play an actual warrior. I just find rping playable classes as other playable classes difficult to accept, I suppose.
I once RPed a DK as a regular warrior because I already had a warrior toon and would rather not have two of the same class on the same realm. */shrug*
I'm a blind death knight, does that count as one of those overused blind hunter people?

Also; blind people aren't that overused.

And at least Svelis was born blind and had learned to fight blind, not just been blind for less than half of her life and already fights super well as a blind person.
From what I've read it can be okay so long as it is explained, also since it was from birth you've had more time to cope with it. The only problem a lot see is when blind people seem to be able to see just fine, if not better, than non-blind people.

Agreed. I often wonder the point some people see in giving their character handicaps and finding some instant magical work around or ignoring them almost completely. My Alliance pandaren is blind. She doesn't often bump into walls all the time, unless in a new place, but also doesn't get around like an average seeing person. I try to have her navigational prowess remain dynamic; have her cling to walls and follow sounds and other people, count the number of paces it takes to get from one frequently visited destination to another.
Blood Knights..
"Friendly" rogues... I do not mean rogues that are acting friendly but rogues who are always friendly...
Every single guy (yes guy cause only the guys do this) that plays a blood elf female and dresses em up to look like a hooker expecially the hunters.

Edit: Oh and also the pallies that wear tier 2 judgement armor who think there very "original" .
01/24/2013 12:24 AMPosted by Nupsi
On the server I am from, people pretending to be Dragons. I get it, you're hilarious for saying you are a Dragon, time to simmer it down a little bit.

Up to a point it's okay, but if they start saying that they are more than 500 years old and are second to their leader, that's godmodding
02/06/2013 05:22 AMPosted by Kaetrianna
Blood Knights..

*Gasp*

You wound me.

I hate cookie cutter characters that attempt to be unique. They urk me. If you are a cookie cutter knight kind of guy then RP it and be the best you can be and evolve him from that. Godmodders turn me off of RPing instantly. Also RPing with powers you know are beyond your character's capabilities. That makes me rage.

People think I'm weird when I tell them about the personality of Kien here. He's cautious and very cynical sprinkled with healthy doses of sarcasm to his allies and friends.
02/24/2013 10:24 PMPosted by Serphentoss
On the server I am from, people pretending to be Dragons. I get it, you're hilarious for saying you are a Dragon, time to simmer it down a little bit.

Up to a point it's okay, but if they start saying that they are more than 500 years old and are second to their leader, that's godmodding

Godmoding is an improper term to use to describe this situation.

... I don't see how being older than 500 matters. That's like saying no elf can be older than 100 years. Or no human older than 30.

Or something silly like that.

Not so good sir. Age has very little to nothing to do with godmodding. One's level of power and abilities is what defines a godmodder.
I swear, mute is the new blind when it comes to disability cliches, and it's so often portrayed to be 'cute' and 'endearing' by the player. Stuttering has become quite common as well, especially among shy female characters.

I also see a lot of mousey female priests, pack worgen who sit around the city all day, and frothing-at-the-mouth hyper-zealous paladins, usually of the human variety.

You know what I don't see very often? Serious gnomes and dwarves. I understand the appeal of playing up the inherent comedy attached to both races, but I'd like to see something different from already rarely played races...
But monks arnt the only ways of fighting that the pandaren know.
Been there I once met a paladin who said IN MY WORGENS FACE that the forsaken and undead in general WERE NOT BAD!
02/27/2013 10:40 AMPosted by Gomrond
Been there I once met a paladin who said IN MY WORGENS FACE that the forsaken and undead in general WERE NOT BAD!

IC or OOC?

If IC then I hope you clawed his face off. If OOC I hope you clawed his face off.
You know, looking at all these over used tropes/don'ts I feel kinda boring. My girls are just farm girls who want to join the war effort and in general get beat up a lot because they're just starting out.

I feel like I could have aimed so much 'larger'.
02/26/2013 12:02 AMPosted by Oaksong
I swear, mute is the new blind when it comes to disability cliches, and it's so often portrayed to be 'cute' and 'endearing' by the player.

All of this. I have a friend who RPs mute, and it's awful. He doesn't put a lot of effort into his emotes, so it's near impossible to have a conversation with him.

I don't play any mute characters, but my druid doesn't talk in her forms (I feel like it'd be weird since I doubt animals have the right vocal cords/lip muscles to form proper words) so whenever she's in one of her animal forms, I make her communicate entirely though body language. I think it's fun because it challenges me to put more effort into conveying things through my writing rather than direct words or "She looks at you as if to say 'How's your day been?' " That also drives me crazy. If you're going to be mute, don't cheat. If you're just going to tell us exactly what you're thinking/saying anyway, then it defeats the point of being mute and at that point you're just doing it for attention.