That Warm Fuzzy Feeling

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
Hiya forms!

Just a real quick question because I've heard all sorts of things with this one and I wanted your guy's opinions? Do Death Knights have emotions? Not just anger and rage but others as well?

Do those big baddies actually have a heart under there or is it just solid ice?
They do but they're extremely muted and in most cases drowned out by other things.
Not this again!!! (groans)

Can't you do a search and look for Death Knight rp? This topic has been beat to death and there are so many conflicting opinions!
Not this again!!! (groans)

Can't you do a search and look for Death Knight rp? This topic has been beat to death and there are so many conflicting opinions!

We know for a fact that Death Knights have emotions.

We also know that for the most part they're muted and nulled by other, stronger emotions.
Ok I did some searching and found this, I think its a pretty good guide

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2504881097?page=1

I read through it and I think its pretty good.

They asked one question, not for an entire guide. =p

As the old adage goes about fish and fishing, this not only answers the question about emotions, but how a Death Knight works.

I am so tired of DK falling in love with a living person, getting married to that living person, and not one living person thinks this is wrong. How could any priest find it within themselves to marry this kind of abomination!

Get a clue. You are UNDEAD, stop playing DKs like they are some super warrior, they are undead.
I posted the guide because it is relevant. If someone has no clue as to how a DK works for rp then they need this. So stop already with the criticism.
11/27/2012 01:58 PMPosted by Sydric
I posted the guide because it is relevant. If someone has no clue as to how a DK works for rp then they need this. So stop already with the criticism.

Criticism of... what? I made a silly.

They made no mention of having no clue of how a DK works for RP. They asked about emotions. That's all.
well, when you finished the shadowmoorn( sorry if messed that up) quest line, morgraines father appears and the talk about some stupid stuff about thier past, but at the end morgraine says "father, for you I would die a thousand times"
Paladin-turned-Death-Knight 'father' figure of Ellywicket still loves her like as his own, and only, daughter.

You don't forget things you had in life. At least not the stronger things. It's actually quite hysterical the way the Ebon Blade members who took sides after Wrath talk to each other, and if you know the stories of how they became Death Knights, they pretty much just go along with whatever is the current status quo for that point in the plot and question nothing about it. Mainly cause they can't, but the exchange between the two in Andorhal is nothing short of hilarious.
Yep. Our Generation of death knights were made to be Cannon fodder, so it's not impossible for some death knights to be raised...unstable, so to speak. Like one, after being released, finds that since he no longer has loved ones, may feel lonely, or would want to try socializing to fill a gap in the heart or summat.

Or turn out like the world's most dangerous Tsundere.
"I-it's not like I WANT to have social contact! I'm only hanging a-around because there's nothing going on! STOP SAYING THAT! /sword'
I've been under the impression that DK's, since they retain the memories of their past lives, can indeed foster emotions other than rage and hate, just not as...enthusiastically as living people.

You have to remember that at the end of the day you're still an undead abomination that was created for the sole purpose of causing pain. I very much doubt a DK could fall in love, nor would they have any interest in getting married. Now, does this mean a DK is incapable of feeling *any* good emotions? Not at all.

DK's can still feel kinship towards those they consider (or at least considered when they were alive) friends, family, and brethren. This also means that you don't have to play your DK as some sort of emotionless/silent/completely devoid of personality killing machine (I know from personal experience how boring such a character can be when trying to RP).

While DK's will never be able to escape the dark aura that surrounds their nature, that same dark aura shouldn't be viewed as a sort of metaphorical straight-jacket for how one should RP the class. It should be more of a guideline; DK's may be undead and they may be viewed by many as monsters, but there is still a lot of possibility within that dark framework.
Yep. Our Generation of death knights were made to be Cannon fodder, so it's not impossible for some death knights to be raised...unstable, so to speak. Like one, after being released, finds that since he no longer has loved ones, may feel lonely, or would want to try socializing to fill a gap in the heart or summat.

Or turn out like the world's most dangerous Tsundere.
"I-it's not like I WANT to have social contact! I'm only hanging a-around because there's nothing going on! STOP SAYING THAT! /sword'

I laughed so hard that I woke my neighbors. Just letting you know.

I'm not going to address whether or not Death Knights are capable of feeling certain extremes of emotion form a magical or biological point of view. Instead:

Imagine your house was suddenly broken into, and you were kidnapped and taken away, and all that you owned and loved was destroyed. Imagine that, when you awoke, you were told that you had to prove that you were worth keeping around, and that the only way to do that was to kill another who had been kidnapped. Imagine you were set loose upon some no-name town with weaponry and with others of your type and forced to slaughter the valiant, surprised defenders and the helpless innocents alike. Imagine that you found out that you were being used as nothing but cannon fodder, despite being given better gear and higher praises as time went on. Imagine how absolutely horrific all that would feel to a normal person, to have freedom and choice revoked and to murder countless perfectly innocent individuals.

Now imagine this scenario, but instead of being kidnapped, you were killed, and when you awoke, you found that your soul was jammed in at all the wrong angles, and that the flesh was rotting from your bones, and that some dark, corruptive power which felt as a stain upon your soul was flowing through you. Imagine that, instead of being forced, you were -willed- to do these things; you had autonomy, but whereas resistance would have been met with death before, resistance would simply be impossible now, and continued mental exertions against the will which forced your hand would result in mental capacities and power being stripped from you. You would serve, one way or another.

Now imagine that you're let loose into society with all that power and all that horrific experience and all that psychological and emotional pain. Could you honestly say that you would feel the same towards -anything- after committing vile acts of defilement, mutilation, and base slaughter?

Now imagine that you -liked- it all, despite yourself, because you were wired that way, and that you had to continue to carry out those cruelties or face utter insanity. Imagine that constant pressure and guilt.

That's a Death Knight. Even barring any other factors, going through all that -will- change a person, and will likely do so drastically. Every surviving Death Knight is a being of exceedingly strong will (They had to be; the weak were culled quite early in the process), but they were sentient beings of emotion and logic just like we are IRL once.

And now their existence defies logic and offends emotion, never mind what they've done. For a Death Knight to retain the full repertoire of emotional response after such trials and after such conditioning would be practically impossible (not in the least because retaining such compassion and love for fellow beings would likely have resulted in aforementioned stripping of mental faculties and of power long before freedom was achieved).

Death Knights do not wish for each other to 'suffer well' without good reason; it is as much a teasing jest or a mocking jab as it is a sincere statement between fellow Knights, and this is the case with good reason.

'Suffer well' is actually possibly the pinnacle of Ebon humor, but that's a digression and an opinion, and possibly a long-winded and over-wordy treatise for another time.
Now imagine this scenario, but instead of being kidnapped, you were killed, and when you awoke, you found that your soul was jammed in at all the wrong angles, and that the flesh was rotting from your bones, and that some dark, corruptive power which felt as a stain upon your soul was flowing through you. Imagine that, instead of being forced, you were -willed- to do these things; you had autonomy, but whereas resistance would have been met with death before, resistance would simply be impossible now, and continued mental exertions against the will which forced your hand would result in mental capacities and power being stripped from you. You would serve, one way or another.

Now imagine that you're let loose into society with all that power and all that horrific experience and all that psychological and emotional pain. Could you honestly say that you would feel the same towards -anything- after committing vile acts of defilement, mutilation, and base slaughter?

Now imagine that you -liked- it all, despite yourself, because you were wired that way, and that you had to continue to carry out those cruelties or face utter insanity. Imagine that constant pressure and guilt.

That's a Death Knight. Even barring any other factors, going through all that -will- change a person, and will likely do so drastically. Every surviving Death Knight is a being of exceedingly strong will (They had to be; the weak were culled quite early in the process), but they were sentient beings of emotion and logic just like we are IRL once.

And now their existence defies logic and offends emotion, never mind what they've done. For a Death Knight to retain the full repertoire of emotional response after such trials and after such conditioning would be practically impossible (not in the least because retaining such compassion and love for fellow beings would likely have resulted in aforementioned stripping of mental faculties and of power long before freedom was achieved).

What about someone who was a gleeful sociopathic murderer before they were a death knight?(Serious question by the way.)
Short version: Yes.

Long version: Yes, but... sort of.

Ask yourself this: Would you be the same person if forced to slaughter and torture hundreds of people?

I didn't think so.
Would you be the same person if forced to slaughter and torture hundreds of people?

Willingly or unwillingly?
12/06/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Maoseitun
forced
12/06/2012 01:16 PMPosted by Liquidgore
forced

Am I in complete knowledge of my actions or am I performing them unwittingly?