How to do a proper shatter combo?

Mage
Can someone explain how to do a shatter combo? I don't care about how to avoid eating one, but how a decent shatter combo is executed.

I play 2v2 for points with 2 separate partners: a resto shaman friend, and my brother (a frost mage).

With the shaman, we definitely are improving our game, and every time we lose, we know why we lost.

My brother on the other hand doesn't seem to grasp basic mage mechanics. My games with him in 2v2 go like this:

1) He gets tunneled, I'm allowed to free cast, I blow up people with CDs and Chaos Bolt, we win. In case of healer/DPS combos, I fear the other dps and/or their healer till their burst CDs are down, then we blow up whoever we can (mostly me with CB and cds again)

2) I get tunneled, in which case we lose literally seconds after my survival cooldowns are spent. He is completely unable to CC, and/or chooses the worst possible moments to do so (like polymorphing someone who's feared and almost dead, or trying to freeze a warrior who JUST popped Avatar pre 5.1)

So since he's unable to control anyone while playing a mage (yeah, I know, he's new to the game) I'd like instead to teach him to be a killing machine. So I can tell him "kill X" and he can just pop CDs and hopefully kill someone or create enough pressure for the other to leave me alone.

Since on my holy paladin any mage can shatter combo me for literally 50% of my health, I figured I'd ask here: How can I turn my noob brother into a killing machine? Also if you can, please let me know the stat priorities for pvp frost mages so I can adjust his reforges/enchants/gems as well.

Thanks!
200 games a week
I'm still trying to figure out how to shatter with the 1 sec taken off deep, but pre 5.1 if I was on a team like yours where I would use Deep Freeze offensively it would go like this.

Frozen orb in the direction the kill target is
Pop cd macro IV/Badge/Images
Cast frost bomb
pet nova as soon as bomb is on
deep
fireblast -> FFB proc -> IL until deep is off (or if their teammates are cced/unable to counter you Frostbolt -> fireblast -> FFB -> IL)

Stat Priority
Hit to cap 6%
Pvp Power
Int
Mastery
Crit
Haste

Also have him change the glyph of silence and get the fire blast one.
11/28/2012 09:31 AMPosted by Lokthen
Since on my holy paladin any mage can shatter combo me for literally 50% of my health, I figured I'd ask here: How can I turn my noob brother into a killing machine? Also if you can, please let me know the stat priorities for pvp frost mages so I can adjust his reforges/enchants/gems as well.

Revolves a bit of timing and proper use of trinkets.

Optimally you want to have whatever trinkets procced that you can.
Then use your PVP trinket / icy veins macro
Cast frost bomb
Frost orb on that same target
Use the FoF proc to use deep freeze
Frostbolt + Fireblast (Glyphed)
Frostbolt if time, if not ice lance
Frostfire bolt once the person is out of deep freeze

You'll want to provide some control on the enemy healer while you do this, as it's all invalidated with one dispell or trinket.

For stats it's:
2 PVP power > 2 Mastery > 1 Int = 1 PVP Power > Mastery > Haste > crit
At some point PVP power becomes better than int, but shouldn't make much of a difference in your gearing.
A "Shatter Combo" is just simply the name given to the instance where 2 or more spells all hit a target that is considered "Frozen" and thus benefit from the massive crit chance bonus as well as the damage boost from Mastery. Ideally, the spells will all hit within the span of a GCD to give the combo the necessary burst damage.

There are multiple ways to pull it off, and each has their place depending on the situation.

-The classic version is: Frostbolt -> Pet Nova shortly before Frostbolt finishes casting -> Ice Lance
Unfortunately since most of our burst was shifted to Frost Bomb, this only sees limited use nowadays. It's can still be used if your Frost Bomb and Deep Freeze are on cooldown and you absolutely need burst right at that moment to score a kill.

-Another version is: Frostbolt -> Pet Nova shortly before Frostbolt finishes casting -> Fireblast -> Deep Freeze -> Ice Lance -> Ice Lance -> Ice Lance
The only real difference between this one and the one above is that your Deep Freeze is not on cooldown. If you manage to pet nova more than 1 target so that you have 2 FoF charges, then replace Fireblast with Ice Lance. This is still not particularly bursty, so you should opt for this only when your Frost Bomb is on cooldown.

For either of the above 2, if you get a Brain Freeze proc, don't use it until the very end since Brain Freeze treats targets as Frozen. The idea is to have a big upfront burst in a GCD followed up by high sustained damage.

The most damaging combos are those that involve Frost Bomb. I would highly recommend that your brother gets Glyph of Fireblast. It not only gives you more control over your burst, it can mitigate the effect of healers dispelling Frost Bomb.

If the other team has no dispels (or is currently unable to dispel):
-Frost Bomb -> Frostbolt -> Pet Nova slightly before Frostbolt finishes casting -> Fireblast (Glyphed) -> Options
Tthis is the most damaging burst available to Mages right now. Frost Bomb, Frostbolt, and Fireblast will ALL go off pretty much simultaneously, all get Shatter/Mastery bonuses, and deal terrible terrible damage.

If the other team can dispel, then all you have to do is truncate the Frostbolt from that:
-Frost Bomb -> Pet Nova slightly before Frost Bomb finishes casting -> Fireblast (Glyphed) -> Options
Note that you have to wait a split second before using your Fireblast for the Frost Bomb debuff to appear before you can detonate it. This does less damage than the first combo, but has the distinct advantage in that enemy healers have virtually no time to react and dispel Frost Bomb. This is because the Frost Bomb and Pet Nova are on the target for only a split second before you Fireblast and break them all.

For the "Options" parts above, you will have a BF and at least 1 FoF proc left over. From here you have lots of options:

1. Deep Freeze -> Ice Lances until Deep Freeze ends -> Frostfire Bolt. This option gives you extra control and is preferrable in most cases.

2. Brain Freeze -> Ice Lance. Don't do this unless your Deep Freeze is on cooldown and/or the target is very low and you think you can score a kill with just those 2 spells.

3. Deep Freeze on Healer -> Frostfire Bolt on target. This is a great way to follow up a CC chain.

4. If you managed to get 2 FoF procs from Pet Nova, then you will have a full load of procs and you could opt to use Alter Time, and start spamming 6 straight instants.

Basically there's a lot of ways to go about it depending on the situation.
11/28/2012 10:06 AMPosted by Yaktonite
200 games a week

Yeah for some weird reason it's showing that. I'm 100% sure we didn't play 200 games this week lol. I capped my points this week with the shaman and we went something like 10-1 or 10-2 because last week the mage and I tanked our rating to ridiculously low levels (something like 10-25) and for now we only play to cap. If you check the mage's armory he's not even fully honor geared yet.

Thanks for replies guys, I'll try and make sure he understands those concepts. Since I don't play mages (i have a level 85 one that I use for gathering professions but that's it) I find some concepts hard to explain.