Any tips for Garalon?

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
My guild isn't what you'd consider hardcore but we're not bad either. We just don't put in all that much time per week, but we're happy with the rate we're progressing. We're about to start on Gara'lon tonight and I've heard quite a bit that he can be a bit of a roadblock to some guilds.

My question is this: Are there any tips or tricks to getting enough damage on him?

Group comp:

Tanks:
Prot Warr OS Arms
Prot Pally OS Ret

Heals:
Holy Pally OS Ret
Resto Druid
Resto Shaman OS Ele

DPS:
Frost dk OS Blood
BM Hunter
Frost mage OS Fire
Shadow Priest
Ele Shaman OS Resto

Given this group comp is there anything special we should make sure we're doing? I don't anticipate pheromone kiting to pose much of an issue, we're pretty solid mechanic wise :)
2 healing along with using 3 kiters sounds like a recipe for a Bad End.
3 heal, no tank, use 4 kiters (2 "tanks" + 1 healer + mobile ranged) or 5 kiters (healers, "tanks")
do not use 2 healers with your composition unless you cannot make enrage. Most guilds who 2 heal this have a disc priest and/or a monk healer and monk tank. Use 3 healers and have the ele shaman in offspec heal the person kiting the pheromone. Have the main spec healers focus on keeping the raid up. Use 4 kiters and make sure everyone's HP is at high health before you swap and cause crush (order - tank1, tank2, range dps, then healer). As stacks build higher while kiting make sure the tanks and/or dps have personal cds so you can swap as late as possible without causing the kiter to die. If the kiter never dies and you are ready for crush damage its simply a mechanics and dps check.
Can you explain what you mean by no tank but using 2 "tanks" as kiters?
you don't really need a tank at all for this fight. The tank takes pheromone but doesn't really attack the boss, you just continue to kite in a square around the room. When the stacks are at 20 (I think), you swap to the next person in the kiting order. There is no aggro table other than he goes after person with phermones. Technically whoever has the pheromone is the tank. you do need at least 1 tank and 1 plate melee (or 2 tanks) soak the frontal cone damage he does.
anything with +300 health plate user or a rogue using feint should be capable to stand in front of the cleave and not get completely owned. We used 2 tank and 3 heals and killed on berserk. What also helped was taking the pheremone past 20 to 25-28. The extra second add up.
My team was having the same problem. how to get enough dmg to kill the boss. we tried the many MANY things but what we ended up doing worked, and ill try to be short in my explanation.

we had 2 ranged dps and 2 healers kite the pheromones. go in order heal-dps-heal-dps, swap at 19-20.

we kite the boss counter clockwise, pulling him back toward the door, and then right (as you look at him from the door)

we had 2 'tanks' (pali tank and our dk was in dps spec with half tank/half dps gear) soak all of the cone aoe attacks, and constantly on the front left leg. if they can both be dps spec and soak cleaves it would be better.

2 melee dps on the inside legs (front right and back right) as much as they could. Ranged dps on boss at all times.

(biggest thing i think) - we TOTALLY IGNORED THE BACK LEFT LEG. range dps it to ~10% and when we got close to killing him we just swapped for a fast 3% boss hp. This is important because if this leg doesnt die, the other 3 legs (which are easier to hit) will respawn instead and have higher uptime.

this strat alone took us from being 50-60 mil hp when he hit enrage to beating enrage by 30-40 seconds. if there is any part that i didnt explain well enough let me know. this boss is a complete !@#$%.

edit: i would recommend the sham/hunter dps and druid/shaman heals kite the pheromones, have your war go arms and soak with the pali (ret if he can). also i would designate one ranged dps to act as 'melee' and be on legs as much as possible (running into the 100% buff zone).
I like the idea about ignoring the back-left leg.
12/03/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Pwnsaucè
Can you explain what you mean by no tank but using 2 "tanks" as kiters?

have your tanks go dps spec but they can still kite

you can also assign 2 people to each leg and if their leg isnt up they should be on the boss eliminates alot of moving but also gets more uptime on the boss
My suggestion on what I would try if I were you:

1. Have the Prot warrior go arms and cleave the legs/boss.
2. Have the Holy Pally stand in front of the boss with the Prot Pally and soak the frontal attack.
3. Have the Prot Pally take pharamones first, the Holy Pally second, and the hunter third. (I can't remember if you need 4 people in normal mode... have the priest or mage take it 4th if necessary)

The main things you'll need to work on are:
- Positioning the pools so you don't fill up the room too fast/awkwardly.
- Avoiding gibs from the frontal attack when passing off Pharamones.
- Along with 1 and 2 above, not getting boxed into corners.

If you find you are hitting the enrage and need to drop down to 2 healers, then have the Holy Pally go Ret and keep doing the same job, also have the Prot Pally go Ret.
We used the "ignore the back-left leg" and were finally able to down him. It was a most epic kill as we ALL (including the boss) died as he struck the floor on enrage.

I hung my head thinking wipe until I saw the message box for the option for an extra loot roll.
2 melee dps on the inside legs (front right and back right) as much as they could. Ranged dps on boss at all times.

(biggest thing i think) - we TOTALLY IGNORED THE BACK LEFT LEG. range dps it to ~10% and when we got close to killing him we just swapped for a fast 3% boss hp. This is important because if this leg doesnt die, the other 3 legs (which are easier to hit) will respawn instead and have higher uptime.

wouldn't the inside legs be the front left and back left? and then you would ignore the back right?
It was a most epic kill as we ALL (including the boss) died as he struck the floor on enrage. I hung my head thinking wipe until I saw the message box for the option for an extra loot roll.

We got our first kill tonight exactly like this. We didnt ignore leg, but even me and the other heals were casting spells in the last few seconds. He enraged and killed us but he died as well. Kind of sloppy but I will take the kill. lol
This is a little old but I'll throw in some advice. Have the tank with better off-spec dps gear go dps and the tank that remains tank spec should switch to as much dps gear as possible. This alone will be a large dps contribution to help with enrage. The tank that went dps will take a lot more damage but with 3 healers it shouldn't be a big problem and, as I said, that dps can be vital to downing the boss before enrage wipes you.

You'll want 4 kiters and each should go to 20 - 22 stacks before passing. I'd suggest using 2 healers and 2 mobile range dps (fire mage, ele shaman, hunter) and setting the switch order as healer, dps, healer, dps so that 2 healers are not occupied with pheramones on a switch and out of range of the most of the raid. Our guild uses 3 healers back to back on the pheramones and it gets really difficult to handle the healer hand-offs to the point that we needed 2 monk healers (paladin had to switch to his monk) revivals for safety reasons.

Other then that make sure range dps are staying close enough to the boss so that healers don't want to go insane while trying to keep everyone in range. If possible dps could try to stay near eachother when not kiting to make it easier on the paladin and shaman healers. Positioning can be difficult to negotiate on this one. Blow hero in the beginning of the fight after your pheramone kiter gets pheramones and your melee dps get into position. Kill the first 4 legs immediately and then handle each leg as is comes. After the first 4 range should help out melee when they can but not if they need to move a ton to get into the leg circle