Fool's Cap terrible after spawn nerf

Professions
Also i didn't say the game itself had digressed I said this thread had...the game has always revolved around gold, but even more so recently - i.e. the Brawler's Guild tickets - How about rewarding toons with a ticket based on hours played - or number of lvl 90 toons or by achievement toons etc. rather than how much gold they have? Anyhoo - i do agree with you and your point is well taken

I actually like the idea of being invited to the guild rather then just being allowed to do it, so I don't mind BMAH invitations, though I have no plans to buy an invite either.

I do like your thoughts on alternative ways Blizzard could have implmented the system, keeping it rare, but not requiring gold.
If you're farming herbs to obtain a Darkmoon Deck - you are doing it wrong.

Do you consider your time valuable?

How do you think those card get into the AH in the first place?

Someone has to go out and farm herbs in the first place.

Otherwise there are no herbs for the scribe to mill into in, and thus no ink to create the cards.

Do you understand how manufacturing of products works?

I bet you think cars and computer grow on trees in real life too instead of the materials and produced their production.

12/05/2012 08:02 AMPosted by Neró
My final remark - The spawn rate is terrible for all herbs - it has nothing to do with Fool's Cap only - i have a huge circuit I farm from Kun lai to dread wastes - the spawn rate for all the herbs is horrific - that being said - i won't be farming herbs until it gets better, and i won't be buying herbs on the ah because they're going to be too expensive and i feel like it's a waste of gold - so I just will quit making the cards and find something better to do like leveling my two pandas - Back to Octaevian's point - it is simply a waste of time to farm herbs right now, and that has wider reaching consequences than me making my own cards.

It's not just herbs. Mining is having the same problem. A circle of the opening portion of Jade Forest (from Honeydew Villiage to Grookin Hill to Dawn's Blossom and back back to Honeydew) used to net me about 3-4 stacks of ore in. I've been lucky to find 10 nodes in that same path and timeframe as before.

And it is vastly more than the 50% reduction Blizz claims it is supposed to be.
Just farmed 3 stacks of Fool's Cap in about 15 min and got two golden lotus out of the spawns. Have fun on your high pop server. :)
High pop is irrelevant with CRZ.

3 stacks is nothing, scribes buy stacks by the hundreds

Prices have skyrocketed, thats a combination of a bunch of things,scarcity, DMF, and overall feeling of being nerfed. Give it 2 weeks after DMF and you will see prices still above avg but that is expected with 50% herb nerf
If you're farming herbs to obtain a Darkmoon Deck - you are doing it wrong.

Do you consider your time valuable?

THIS! For the love of god, this!

People, if herb prices rise, you need to raise the prices of your DMF cards. That is the appropriate market response to a decrease in supply or increase in supply cost so long as demand for the cards stays the same[1].

If you can not profit from buying the herbs and creating cards, then the effect of the herb nerf has not *yet* (the yet is important!) been relayed to the inscription market on your server. The most likely scenario is that scribes bought herbs pre-nerf and are still making a profit off of their now extremely cheap cards, or there are a number of scribes that farm their own herbs on your server and they are unaware of the increase in market prices for herbs.

What you do in this situation is either buy their (now) cheap cards and re-post them at current market prices (cost + desired markup), or you wait until the market stabilizes and you only post your cards once the price for cards is greater than the cost of materials by your preferred markup amount.

[1] - As is always the case with DMF trinkets, demand will fall over time, but luckily the folks at blizzard have put in a few mechanics to delay this decrease in demand. Specifically, I am referring to the gating of the DMF to one week per month. You will never see DMF trinkets spike to the prices they were in the first few weeks of the expansion, but there is a constant demand for the trinkets as folks level Alts, new players reach max level, and casual raiders fill out their gear sets.
12/05/2012 01:07 PMPosted by Playoffs
High pop is irrelevant with CRZ.

CRZ is not present in end-game content.
How do you think those card get into the AH in the first place? Someone has to go out and farm herbs in the first place. Otherwise there are no herbs for the scribe to mill into in, and thus no ink to create the cards.

Scribes do not have the ability to gather herbs. The herbs they gather all come from herbalists. Yes, those herbalists might be on the same account or even the same character as the scribe, but it is herbalism, not inscription, that is profiting from the gathering of herbs.

Do you understand how manufacturing of products works?

I bet you think cars and computer grow on trees in real life too instead of the materials and produced their production.

Do you understand how manufacturing works? Do you really think that Ford has mining and refining operations throughout the world to manufacture the parts for their vehicles? Do you think that Dell is manufacturing the Intel and AMD chipsets used in their PCs?

No, they are buying the materials they need for building cars and computers. Crafters in WoW are the same way, the successful ones are buying raw materials off of the AH or arranging supply chains with players who enjoy gathering.
i buy the herbs, i mill them, i make cards, i make decks, i sell them.

imo theres only 3 reasons to farm herbs/ore. 1. there is non available and you need it immediately 2. you enjoy gathering 3. you literally have no gold to buy them.

4. The AH price of herbs is high enough that it's a more efficient use of your time to farm the herbs than it is to generate the gold by other means to buy the herbs.

If you are lucky enough that your server has a legion of players (or bots) who love to farm herbs every day and sell them for reasonable rates -- and not enough scribes to compete for herbs and drive up the prices -- then that is a great environment for sitting by the AH and cranking herbs into gold via cards.

If your server is low on active gatherers and has tons of scribes trying to be like Zachfu, it will be hard to turn much of a profit just sitting by the AH (because high deck prices drive away many customers and their alts), whereas gathering will make a mint.

It all depends on your server economy.
Back to the point, I agree spawn rate sucks, 2 herb gatherers, 2 alchs, 3 scribes, 2 chanters,1 jc, 1 lw, 1 tailor, 1 bs, 1 skinner, 2 engineers, 2 miners and a partridge in a pear tree.
Ore seems to be ok, but herbs are few.
12/05/2012 01:59 PMPosted by Sounder
It all depends on your server economy.

technically true but every time someone says that about darkmoon decks i look at their servers AH and conclude I would be doing exactly as i do. Ive yet to see a herb to deck price ratio that would make gathering superior to buying(including shadow council horde)
ive made close to 150 decks this expansion and made well over a million gold doing so(after putting all of my efforts to getting my entire guild decks the first fair free of charge) and have not farmed a single herb.

as for foolscap farming i suspect what people are experiencing is similar to what has happened with fishing in the past. All the herbs share the same spawn rate so everytime the game decides its time for an herb to spawn in a zone it might be a tea leaf it might be a fools cap, well tea leaf has a higher rate so if you only farm foolscap then the zone will be piled with tea leaf. Im almost positive this is whats happening because almost everyone that posts saying they got like 1 stack or only 4 herbs in 2 hours mention that they didnt see anyone else.

150 Decks? WOW! You've "made" that many? Do you mean by buying most of the cards off the Auction House? Because if not I am curious how you made 1200 individual cards, (assuming you got no duplicates etc.) in just 72 Days (launch Date was Sept 25th) when you can only "make" 1 scroll of wisdom (1 required for each card) each day. The most cards any player in the game could have created to date with their own mats is roughly 72 73 cards. That only comes to 9 Decks with no duplicate cards. So if you bought, most of the cards why are you posting an opinion regarding spawn rates for herbs? Even if you bought every herb on every server you still couldn't have "made" 150 Decks yourself - Please explain! I'm confused -

150 Decks = *1200 individual cards *with no duplicates (8 cards per deck x 150 = 1200 cards)
1200 individual cards = 1200 Scrolls of wisdom = 1200 days (3.2 years)
Time since launch = 73 days
12/05/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Psilo
Just farmed 3 stacks of Fool's Cap in about 15 min and got two golden lotus out of the spawns. Have fun on your high pop server. :)

What's your point? 3 stacks? you couldn't mill enough misty pigment out of three stacks to make 10 Starlight inks. Also if you want to test the spawn rate you need to go back over the same area and see that nothing has respwaned
its way more terrible after the nerf , i laugh at guys who say they don"t gather herbs but make cards , what you think those herbs magically appear on the AH do ya? , someone is out there getting them and they are now super rare to find , i say to all gatherers increase your prices 100% or 1000%

i don"t get why Blizz does the super nerf everytime instead of just tweaking it , maybe 25% nerf and lets see what that does , instead they beat and beat and beat it till its dumb , 3 months from now they'll be like oh wait we goofed , herb and ores now respawn faster

bah !
Just spent 15 minutes flying around Briny Muck and no foolscap in sight.

They nerfed the foolscap spawn rate in order for herbalists to make more gold, but I'm not sure how I am to make any gold with no foolscap available to sell.
150 Decks? WOW! You've "made" that many? Do you mean by buying most of the cards off the Auction House? Because if not I am curious how you made 1200 individual cards, (assuming you got no duplicates etc.) in just 72 Days (launch Date was Sept 25th) when you can only "make" 1 scroll of wisdom (1 required for each card) each day. The most cards any player in the game could have created to date with their own mats is roughly 72 73 cards. That only comes to 9 Decks with no duplicate cards. So if you bought, most of the cards why are you posting an opinion regarding spawn rates for herbs? Even if you bought every herb on every server you still couldn't have "made" 150 Decks yourself - Please explain! I'm confused -

150 Decks = *1200 individual cards *with no duplicates (8 cards per deck x 150 = 1200 cards)
1200 individual cards = 1200 Scrolls of wisdom = 1200 days (3.2 years)
Time since launch = 73 days

i have 10 scribes(had 11 for about half) and i pay people for their scrolls of wisdom. Ive bought some cards when they are super cheap but not very many(28 according to my accounting mod). I also make quite a few 2 for 1 trades.
I'm still laughing at everyone bemoaning Fool's Cap in the Briny Muck.

Try picking tea leaf in Four Winds. Hell, if you're a scribe then go pick desecrated herbs. There's more than one farming spot in the entire continent, y'know?
12/05/2012 01:59 PMPosted by Sounder
4. The AH price of herbs is high enough that it's a more efficient use of your time to farm the herbs than it is to generate the gold by other means to buy the herbs.

If the price of herbs on the AH is to high to make cards with, then you should be SELLING the herbs you gather and not making cards.

If you cannot buy the mats for a crafting profession and turn a profit...you shouldn't be making the item.
I'm still laughing at everyone bemoaning Fool's Cap in the Briny Muck.

Try picking tea leaf in Four Winds. Hell, if you're a scribe then go pick desecrated herbs. There's more than one farming spot in the entire continent, y'know?

Tea Leaf by itself isn't going to make a Mogu potion. That was all I used Fool's Cap for. Since the patch came out I've farmed two Fool's Cap nodes. The nerf is ridiculous. It will take them months to roll it back to something reasonable. I crap on them for stupidity.
12/07/2012 08:06 AMPosted by Dyrick
Tea Leaf by itself isn't going to make a Mogu potion. That was all I used Fool's Cap for. Since the patch came out I've farmed two Fool's Cap nodes. The nerf is ridiculous. It will take them months to roll it back to something reasonable. I crap on them for stupidity.

I am willing to bet that there is plenty of fool's cap on the AH right now for your alchemist to buy. If your herbalist is your "source" for herbs, then you need to adapt and gather the most herbs per hour to maximize your gold, then sell those herbs to buy the mats you need for alchemy.
I like how it's mostly card makers complaining. The respawns aren't as terrible as they're being made out to be. The past three days I've come home over my lunch break and in about 20 min have farmed 5-6 stacks. Keeping in mind I'm on a very low pop server with no competition. I also had to change my route from just the little bog in Townlong to both Dread Waste and Townlong. My guess is the problem is people are seeing herb prices sky rocket and are working extra hard to pick them as soon as they spawn.