Ever wonder if...

Story Forum
I'm wondering how much different the story would have been if back in Vanilla WoW the Night Elves and Orcs reconciled their issues with lumber and managed peaceful co-existence and eventually joined forces as the Horde

On the other side of the pond, the Alliance showed sympathy to those who had been in the Lich King's grasp and had broken free and brought them in the fold of the Alliance, rebuilding Lordaeron for the living above while the undead worked below.

Not asking if this SHOULD have happened, just playing around with how the story would have been different for both sides with those changes.
I'm wondering how much different the story would have been if back in Vanilla WoW the Night Elves and Orcs reconciled their issues with lumber and managed peaceful co-existence and eventually joined forces as the Horde

On the other side of the pond, the Alliance showed sympathy to those who had been in the Lich King's grasp and had broken free and brought them in the fold of the Alliance, rebuilding Lordaeron for the living above while the undead worked below.

Not asking if this SHOULD have happened, just playing around with how the story would have been different for both sides with those changes.

It was never the Night elves who needed to reconcile. If I remember right, there was a sort of truce after WC3 that was broken when the orcs began logging in Ashenvale again, but I suppose if the orcs tried diplomancy with their enemies for once, they could have gotten over that.

Also, It was the Forsaken who pushed the Alliance away. Even GARITHOS was willing to work with them, until they betrayed him and kept Capital city for themselves.
It was never the Night elves who needed to reconcile. If I remember right, there was a sort of truce after WC3 that was broken when the orcs began logging in Ashenvale again.

Likewise, It was the Forsaken who pushed the Alliance away. Even GARITHOS was willing to work with them, until they betrayed him and kept Capital city for themselves.

You quoted everything I put, but you obviously didn't read it.

I said it's not a question if this SHOULD have happened, it's a question of what if this is the way the story went.

In all honesty, there's little reason after WC3 that the Forsaken or Night Elves should be allied with anyone except themselves, they were shoehorned into both factions because the fan base wanted to play both races. The story could have easily gone the other way with those two races shoehorned into the opposite faction they are in now.
It would have been interesting in how the classes were divided.

Warlocks could have been limited to Forsaken Alliance side, but have Orcs and Trolls Hordeside.

Priests could be have been limited to Night Elves Horde side, but Humans, Dwarves and Forsaken Alliance side.

The Forsaken could have had paladins and the night elves could have had shaman.

Interesting thoughts.

The Forsaken could have been the Dark Edge of the Alliance, and the Night Elves the lighter side of the Horde.
12/04/2012 03:35 PMPosted by Tessa
It would have been interesting in how the classes were divided.

That's a good point and it didn't' even cross my mind.

Likely, the biggest issue with classes would have been druids. The tauren were easy to slip in, another nature loving race. Between Humans, Undead, Dwarves and Gnomes, who would get the druid tap?

Personally, the idea of gnome druids getting kitten and maybe some sort of honey badger shape shift form does sound funny.
12/04/2012 03:40 PMPosted by Draugjin
Likely, the biggest issue with classes would have been druids

Honestly? It doesn't need to be.

Paladins mirror shamans.

Priests mirror druids.

Organized religion vs. Primal Nature.

It also would have hammered in the civility vs. Primality themes for the two factions.
It was never the Night elves who needed to reconcile. If I remember right, there was a sort of truce after WC3 that was broken when the orcs began logging in Ashenvale again.

Likewise, It was the Forsaken who pushed the Alliance away. Even GARITHOS was willing to work with them, until they betrayed him and kept Capital city for themselves.

You quoted everything I put, but you obviously didn't read it.

I said it's not a question if this SHOULD have happened, it's a question of what if this is the way the story went.

In all honesty, there's little reason after WC3 that the Forsaken or Night Elves should be allied with anyone except themselves, they were shoehorned into both factions because the fan base wanted to play both races. The story could have easily gone the other way with those two races shoehorned into the opposite faction they are in now.

Btw, I fixed my top part of my most already before your post. I realized it lacked substace.

I disagree that the Forsaken could have fit with the Alliance. Like I said, the Forsaken burned that bridge when they killed Garithos.
Honestly? It doesn't need to be.

Paladins mirror shamans.

Priests mirror druids.

Organized religion vs. Primal Nature.

It also would have hammered in the civility vs. Primality themes for the two factions.

Lore wise, it sounds good, we all know how it would have ended game balance wise.

Or they could have done that and rebalanced classes with the following expansion anyway....seemed to work out for them in BC.
12/04/2012 03:45 PMPosted by Malodin
I disagree that the Forsaken could have fit with the Alliance. Like I said, the Forsaken burned that bridge when they killed Garithos.

Looking at just the end of WC3 and the beginning of WoW, sure. But five years took place between those two events. A lot can happen in five years, just ask anyone who had a 401k back in 2007.

Yeah, they screwed over Garithos, but I think that could have likely been reconciled one way or another. They managed to stick Elves and Trolls on the same faction, they could have found room for undead and humans. Besides the whole being dead thing they could have had a lot in common.
I would presume there would be some reason why Forsaken live in Capitol City. Perhaps the Plague has posioned the city and it's surronding areas, thus only the Forsaken can live there any way. And the Scarlet Crusade would be at war with the Alliance for allying with the Forsaken.

Let's say that Sylvanas didn't backstab the Alliance, but Garithos died during the Forsaken's attack on Detheroc. Instead, his second in command, perhaps Bolvar, would meet the Forsaken. His kindness towards the Forsaken causes them to not backstab them, but they discover the humans can't live there anyway. So Forsaken are the bulkward against the Scourge.

On the otherside of Azeroth, Thrall and Tyrande work out some treaty, perhaps giving them lodging rights in Azshara with the local Night elves gone.

Classes:
Humans: Warriors, Rogues, Paladins, Priests, Mages.
Dwarves: Warriors, Rogues, Paladins, Priests, Hunters.
Gnomes: Warriors, Rogues, Priests, Mages, Warlocks.
Undead: Warriors, Rogues, Warlocks, Mages, Priests.

Orcs: Warriors, Hunters, Rogues, Shamans, Warlocks.
Troll: Warriors, Hunters, Rogues, Shamans, Warlocks.
Tauren: Warrior, Hunter, Rogues, Shamans, Druids.
Night Elves: Warrior, Hunters, Rogues, Druids, Priests.

Five classes per race. Shamans and Druids are Horde only, while Paladins and Mages would be Alliance only.

The Kirin Tor and Argent Dawn would be Alliance Factions, while the Earthen Ring and Cenarian Circle would be Horde factions.
Zandalari trolls were like the first priests on Azeroth, how are you all saying trolls don't fit the class. Also, if the night elves made peace with the orcs perhaps they would teach them druidism and adopt shamanism.

It was never the Night elves who needed to reconcile. If I remember right, there was a sort of truce after WC3 that was broken when the orcs began logging in Ashenvale again, but I suppose if the orcs tried diplomancy with their enemies for once, they could have gotten over that.

Also, It was the Forsaken who pushed the Alliance away. Even GARITHOS was willing to work with them, until they betrayed him and kept Capital city for themselves.
No no no

Grom hellscream was logging in ashenvale efore they even knew that there actually were night elves. After the battle of hyjal there was a truce that jaina's dad broke
The Alliance would eventually roll the Blood Elves in and take over the entirety of the EK, maintaining relations with the Horde via Night Elves.

Horde take Kalimdor, maybe ask Alliance for help in booting out the Twilight Cult from Silithus.
12/04/2012 05:31 PMPosted by Snocterris
a truce that jaina's dad broke

Daelin can't break a truce he never signed.
I always thought the Night Elves should have been Horde, Forsaken been npc, and Blood Elves gone straight to Alliance in Vanilla.

No no no

Grom hellscream was logging in ashenvale efore they even knew that there actually were night elves. After the battle of hyjal there was a truce that jaina's dad broke

" after " makes all of the difference, friend.. Please re-read my post.
12/04/2012 06:12 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
I always thought the Night Elves should have been Horde, Forsaken been npc, and Blood Elves gone straight to Alliance in Vanilla.

This, with the exception that the blood elves woulda remained 'high elves'
12/05/2012 04:10 PMPosted by Ilthen

This, with the exception that the blood elves woulda remained 'high elves'

No, If the Blood elves wouldn't have gone Horde. They would have been Alliance. High Elves would have become some sort of NPC faction.
So the Forsaken don't kill Garithos (and troop support couldn't be sent to augment Garithos' forces because of Stormwind's and Ironforge's problems), meaning he has to, if begrudingly, accept the Forsaken's help to secure Tirisfal's borders. In exchange for their help, he allows them their own places to live. There's certainly mistrust but they're willing to work together against the Scourge forces (with a human organization in power, the Scarlet Crusade will possibly link up with them, meaning that the Argent Dawn never forms and the Scarlets remain a multi-racial organization, becoming the new elite force to replace the Silver Hand, not as a Paladin only force but just as a general elite guard).

The Capital is a military hub, where Sylvanas, Garithos, and Varimathras (Varimathras will probably have to disguise himself as an undead or he could stay out in a captured town/hub where the Forsaken center themselves at, possibly at the current Scarlet Ballista or even the Scarlet Monestary). The Forsaken starting zone has mostly Forsaken trainers but also a few Alliance delegates. Tirisfal is slowly being overrun with Scourge which requires the forces in the region to mobilize more quickly. This will eventually secure stronger ties with the Alliance forces, which leads to a semi-formalized partnership when we meet with the leaders at the capital. We're then sent to Silverpine to secure a land route to Alliance lands in Hillsbrad. We team up with the local Dalaran forces to push back the worgen infestation, culminating with the assault on Shadowfang to defeat the rogue wizard Arugal. Possibly we also kindle ties with some of the worgen packs after freeing them from Arugal, eventually leading to their joining of the Alliance some time in the future (or potentially forcing them to join the Horde if we simply go out of our way to eliminate them).

With Silverpine secure, we reach Alliance lands and get word to the south. Some time later the Forsaken receive an ambassador from the southern kingdoms and a truly formal introduction into the Alliance.