Curtailing bad behavior

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
I think the frustration stems from the fact we never know what, if anything was done to the player.
Personally, on Silvermoon I don't see tons of it. I've reported one or two people over the 7 or 8 years I've played off and on (One named themselves Kristallnacht and was playing a person that looked as close to !@#$% as you can get in game. It was disturbing). The groups in LFR are another issue entirely. I don't know if it's the fact it's cross realm groups or what but oh my god.

Hah, they censored what she looked like! That's kind of funny. Blond haired, blue eyed delusion of being ubermensch people.
One other thing I would like to state is that Cross Faction harassment has become extremely prevalent. Horde often scream GO **** and other swares when they see alliance. Is all cross faction communication banned? Or only that which constitutes harassment? Is spamming sit and stand on a players corpse considered harassment?

You are definitely right about the numb comment. I mean eventually you get so used to seeing something that you just regard it as normal , even if it isn't at all.

There was a Hordie that liked to spam that stuff during TB matches. I reported him pointing out that he was A) spamming, B) using offensive language, and C) circumventing the language barrier (I also reiterated that what he was saying only read as something offensive to the opposite faction because I know when the GMs read the logs they'd probably just see gibberish).

I can't say for sure that he was actioned as a result of this report, but I never saw him do it again after I finally reported it so I'd encourage you to do the same. : )

Ignore is a great feature, but make sure you open a ticket and report the person before you ignore them.

Don't open a ticket. That will just get you a "you should should use the right-click-report feature" response.

Use the right-click-report feature. It both reports the player and puts them on ignore for the rest of your play session, and it also only takes a couple of seconds to use.

Edit just to add: OP, please do report those players so they can be dealt with. It will help towards cleaning up some of those problems you mention.

Between doing this and reporting naming policy violations, nothing gets done. Ever.

Been a guy on one of my old servers named after a brand name narcotic pain reliever that's heavily abused for YEARS now and guess what.. he still has the name. I reported him for the final 8 months I spent on that server. Hes still got it to this day.

They *don't* care. They say otherwise, but the simple fact that not a single name I have reported, or jackwagon I've reported has had ANYTHING done to them since BC tells a lot. A LOT.

I must strongly disagree with this sentiment. Just letting it slide simply allows the in-game environment to become more toxic. We've provided the tools to allow each realm population to help shape its environment. It's important to use them, and use them consistently.

The big problem, honestly, for me with CRZ is this. It almost completely eliminates the possibility of each realm shaping its environment.

The inability to easily report is one thing, but the instanced and impermanent nature of each particular CRZ strongly encourages the worst of LFR-style behavior.
12/05/2012 06:00 PMPosted by Daxxarri
What is Blizzard doing to curtail bad behavior in their playerbase?

Harassment is a serious issue, and we've dedicated significant resources toward dealing with it. In fact, we have a large support team, and we've (comparatively) recently implemented faster tools to deal with harassment.

If you're experiencing harassment in-game, there are a few steps to take.
  • Don't respond, or get involved in an argument. Stooping to using language that violates our policies simply opens yourself up to suspension, and doesn't accomplish anything. Seriously, don't do it.
  • Use right-click Report Harassment on their name next to any lines of text that contain offensive language--the appropriate category should be Language.
  • Use /ignore to close the lines of communication.
  • If your harasser by-passes the /ignore feature and contacts you on an alternate character, immediately place that character on ignore, then open a support ticket to report Ongoing Harassment, and include that phrase, as well as the offending player's name, realm, the exact phrase that they used to harass you and that they by-passed the /ignore feature to do so. Please be detailed, our Support team works hard, but they aren't wizards. Mostly.

On the forums, just mouse-over the offending post, then click the 'downvote' hand, then select the 'Report' option.

You won't receive notification when another player receives any kind of disciplinary action due to our privacy policies, but rest assured that we like to make sure that everyone is on the same page regarding what constitutes acceptable conduct in-game.

Also, as harsh as this is going to sound, some people need to buck up and get some thick skin. Yes, there is racism. Yes, there is sexism. That doesn't make it okay, but those jokes have been around since cavemen and will probably be around until we discover an alien species to hate more than ourselves... and the sexism will probably stay even then. Point being, it's there. Either deal with it, learn to laugh at the harmlessness of most of it, or just start using your /ignore list.

I must strongly disagree with this sentiment. Just letting it slide simply allows the in-game environment to become more toxic. We've provided the tools to allow each realm population to help shape its environment. It's important to use them, and use them consistently.

As fine and dandy that is, what are you guys planning on doing about people being douchebags?

And I'm not referring to chat. I'm talking about the guy following you killing your quest mobs because he's bored, or the guy being really obnoxious wiping out your quest hub(PvE server issue, PvP servers you're expected to kill him), or the moron wiping out huge swaths of NPCs just so you can't kill anything?

Every other game I play that's called "zone disruption" and gets you booted out of game for several hours.

This one? nope. You encourage unsporting behavior in a game in which Mr Street even says he wants people to cooperate. Tell me how letting people act like jackwagons is encouraging cooperation?
To bad you can't right-click report folks from different realms in CRZ areas. . .
I think the main reason harassment is so prevalent nowadays is because of the lax penalties.
Not from Blizzard, but from players. In Vanilla, if someone was a Jerk, they would quickly become an outcast on the server, and garner a bad reputation. Now people know they won't ever see the CRZ/RBG players again, so they feel free to spout whatever they want. Even if they are blacklisted, they can just realm switch, change faction, or name change.
12/05/2012 06:53 PMPosted by Cylarana
One named themselves Kristallnacht

Coming from a West German family, I can assure you that those kinds of 'jokes' don't fly.

My West German cousins (most under the age of 30) are deeply ashamed of their nation's history.
As fine and dandy that is, what are you guys planning on doing about people being douchebags?

And I'm not referring to chat. I'm talking about the guy following you killing your quest mobs because he's bored, or the guy being really obnoxious wiping out your quest hub(PvE server issue, PvP servers you're expected to kill him), or the moron wiping out huge swaths of NPCs just so you can't kill anything?

Every other game I play that's called "zone disruption" and gets you booted out of game for several hours.

This one? nope. You encourage unsporting behavior in a game in which Mr Street even says he wants people to cooperate. Tell me how letting people act like jackwagons is encouraging cooperation?

This will never happen. You can't prove that player wasn't on a quest. He could have been farming mats, reputation, grinding. It could be a bot. Or he could be annoying you. Maybe he is bored. Should he really be penalized for PVE'ing?

Dishonor existed for killing NPCS for a while, it was met with such hard opposition from players that Blizzard promptly removed it. Frankly , it is idiotic. Is their any lore that would stop me from killing an NPC? I guess we should remove killing City Leaders as well, we wouldn't want players being unable to turn in their quests.

Alot of things people can do legally are annoying, that doesn't mean you put them in jail and throw away a key. If you come across someone doing this activity, you can just log off or go on another alt. Most trolls get bored fast when they have nobody to bother.

For the record that kind of activity should never be against TOS, IMO.
I think the main reason harassment is so prevalent nowadays is because of the lax penalties.
Not from Blizzard, but from players. In Vanilla, if someone was a Jerk, they would quickly become an outcast on the server, and garner a bad reputation. Now people know they won't ever see the CRZ/RBG players again, so they feel free to spout whatever they want. Even if they are blacklisted, they can just realm switch, change faction, or name change.

I see that too. In Vanilla yeah, the stuff I saw the other day would have quickly been called out, reported, told to stop- he would have had a tough time getting much of anywhere on the server. Instead, several joined in the racism.
12/05/2012 05:20 PMPosted by Hothlo
I've seen the same people spouting racism for months in chat. Same person. I'll put them on /ignore, end up logging into an alt weeks later and notice that the same person is at it again.

a few years ago during wrath we had someone in my server looking people for their raid guild and used a hate group and wanted to look for people to dps and refer to those people like dpsing like so and so type of hate group people.

not gonna say what they said but what they were spamming out was a huge shock as to this player was looking for people and the way they went about it. i reported it at once and all i got was, if you dont like so and so have to say just put them on ignore. i was like dude this guy is in trade chat at the time when kids are playing spouting out a hate group reference and make it sound like its a joke. sad to say that player never got in trouble.
Are we talking about the same Brazilians that tax server resources with their 480+ ping, dial up 56kb connections and devalue the market by farming 24/7? It's not fun to play with them lagging all over the place (This game favors the laggers, not the players facing them)

Can Blizzard make Wow Region Restricted like Diablo 3 already?

Brazilians have dedicated Brazilian servers extremely close to them , were people speak Portuguese, are tightly meshed and have extremely low ping. Would it make sense if I played all the way in Brazil as an American?

Imagine if I was considered a racist for not wanting a player with a 5 second delay on my team or attempting to PVP as he telefragged across the map. It has nothing to do with nationality. In FPS games and in Strategy games people with 150+ ping get autokicked, why should this be any different?

did you REALLY just defend racism by generalizing people??

no, i mean.. seriously?

and Wrath/Cata, like i said.. were LONG before Brazilian Servers were around

wow, just wow

and nobody is calling someone a racist for "not wanting to play with someone else" .. you HAVE that option... you don't have to play with them..

But the endless "mud hut dwellers" and other crap that streamed out of every pre-tweens mouth when the server was predominantly BR (which, sorry to tell ya was as early as Vanilla.. a LOT of them were here longer than most.. Phoenix Exile was on Guru since Vanilla, and they used to be mostly BR)

seriously.. do some people even bother to THINK anymore before speaking?
12/05/2012 05:14 PMPosted by Hothlo
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/178650/League_of_Legends_Changing_bad_player_behavior_with_neuroscience.php

"Nobody wants to play a game with somebody who's mean," he says.

How do you explain Eve Online then? :p
12/05/2012 07:11 PMPosted by Wexlur
Coming from a West German family, I can assure you that those kinds of 'jokes' don't fly.

yeah. I was pretty angry, particularly given the look of the toon. And that isn't something that's really going to reference anything else either you know? I mean, I remember a fuss over a toon named Holocaust...which while I don't like it, it does have other actual meanings in common language that he could have been referencing. Kristallnacht doesn't. It refers to one historical event and pretty much nothing else.
Use the right-click-report feature. It both reports the player and puts them on ignore for the rest of your play session, and it also only takes a couple of seconds to use.
really does not do more than that imo...still waiting for that lovely troll who shouts N word, F word over and over about an hour each day to get some sort of punishment.
Without in game consequences for poor behavior i don't think things will ever change.

Trade trolling = banned from using trade chat at all for 12-24-48-hours ---> perm ban
Repeat offender afking in BG's = same deal ascending bans ----> perm ban from random BG's.\
Trolling groups in dungeon finder/LFR same deal you get the idea.

If a person behaves badly and 3 months later is feeling pretty damn bored because they're barred from almost every group activity and chat channel they will eventually get wise or leave, the current system of a warning email after 10 or more people report you at the same time is clearly not working and a bad joke of a system.

The toxic community that people have referred to is partially our fault but for the most part Blizzard is to blame for not enforcing their own rules letting people get away with murder just because their $15 a month is valued as much as a law abiding citizens $15.
There is no report harrassment feature.
Theres Spam, Language, Name, Cheating.
If none of the above is in that category.. i open a ticket, and therefore get rude responses from GMs occasionally about not using the right-click report option. There's not one for the type of harrassment i got in-game about not leaving an LFR because i wanted to stay and kill the boss instead of disbanning the group for a fresh. They refused to queue us to get more players (i wasnt the only one) and they when they did queue kept saying that we were purposely pulling the boss and wiping just to get me & some other healer kicked. That doesnt fall under and of those categories. So i opened a ticket.. took 3 tickets to finally get it settled. Fix it.