Windwalker PvP Guide (5.1)

Monk
Hello, Welcome to my PvP guide for the Windwalker class. Updated to patch 5.1

This guide is not a set in stone way to play Windwalker in PvP, however it is my recommended setup. Feel free to post your opinions/what works for you!

I've been doing pretty good with monks, and a lot of people think they are very bad. I am here to prove those people wrong!

Contents:
1. Stats
2. Reforging
3. Gems & Enchants
4. Talents
5. Glyphs
6. Important abilities
7. General tips
8. Macros
9. DW or 2H

1. Stats:

The stat priority that I've been using for monks, that I think is a good setup is:

Expertise (3%+) > Melee Hit (3%) > PvP Power > Agility > PvP Resilience > Crit > Haste > Mastery

You definitely want to cap Expertise and Hit. I like to stack as much PvP Power as possible. I'm still in the midst of getting more, but I'm at about 50% atm. I like to get Agility after that over Resil. I think we get enough from gear, and gem bonuses to survive comfortably.

I like crit over haste because I like having that huge damage increase for RSK, but the main reason is that I find that If I prioritize haste over crit, then I get too much haste and have more energy than I need, which means wasted stats.

2. Reforging:

Same setup as stat priority:

Expertise (3%+) > Melee Hit (3%) > Crit > Haste > Mastery

Check for expertise and melee hit, then optimize secondary stats: crit, haste, then mastery. I feel that Mastery for ww is very weak atm, which is why I don't care for it.

3. Gems & Enchants:

Very straight forward section, should be the same gemming and enchanting for everyone.

Gems:

Meta: Agile Primal Diamond
Prismatic: Stormy River's Heart
Blue: Stormy River's Heart
Red: Assassin's Imperial Amethyst
Yellow: Radiant Wild Jade

Enchants:

Shoulder: Greater Tiger Claw Inscription
Cloak: Enchant Cloak - Superior Critical Strike
Chest: Enchant Chest - Super Resilience
Bracers: Enchant Bracer - Greater Agility
Gloves: Enchant Gloves - Greater Haste
Belt: Living Steel Belt Buckle
Legs: Shadowleather Leg Armor
Boots: Enchant Boots - Blurred Speed
Main Hand: Enchant Weapon - Dancing Steel
Off Hand: Living Steel Weapon Chain

4. Talents:

Tier 1:

The most optimal choice here is Tiger's Lust. Momentum can be good for RBG's, but Lust gives you more mobility and ability to get away from movement impairing effects without blowing your PvP trinket.

Tier 2:

Chi Wave. That's all I need to say, good healing for you and/or your arena partner, and puts some damage out at the same time. Zen Sphere is OK at best, but dosn't heal for enough to be a viable choice.

Tier 3:

This tier is whatever you feel like. I like power strikes as it is more constant. Ascension isn't really needed for me because I find I almost never run out of energy anyways, and have energizing brew if I need it. Chi Brew is good, and take it if you want, but I prefer power strikes because it is more constant, and one less thing I have to worry about.

Tier 4:

This tier has been driving me crazy because I can't decide between Deadly Reach and Leg Sweep. I like the extra aoe stun that leg sweep gives you, but Deadly Reach is so nice to have because what I do is ill be dpsing their guy, roll behind their healer, paralyze him, and keep dpsing, but if I roll past the healer, I have to step into him to use paralysis. So what I would say for this Tier is go with whatever you want (don't pick Charging Ox Wave though, it's not good enough compared to the other two).

Tier 5:

This tier is all preference. I originally was using diffuse magic, but found that the 1.5 min cd wasn't good enough for me to use in Arena, so I am currently using Healing Elixirs. I like the extra heal every 18 seconds. Dampen Harm is very good against a burst heavy team/god comp. Like I said, I like Healing Elixirs, but go with whatever talent best suits your playing style.

Tier 6:

Xuen is your only option for WW. Very good dps and cool looking as a bonus, Rushing Jade Wind, and Chi Torpedo aren't good enough for me to give up Xuen.

5. Glyphs

Right now I am using:

Major:
- Glyph of Sparring
- Glyph of Touch of Karma, and;
- Glyph of Fists of Fury

These are my optimal major glyphs. Other viable options are:

-Glyph of Touch of Death
-Glyph of Afterlife
-Glyph of Expel Harm, and;
-Glyph of Fortifying Brew

Minor:
-Glyph of Blackout Kick
-Glyph of Spirit Roll, and;
-Glyph of Water Roll

The other minor glyphs aren't worth talking about and are all preference.

6. Important Abilities

Rising Sun Kick:

Your main damage ability. Learn it, Love it, Live it. Use it whenever it's up and keep the debuff on targets.

Touch of Karma:

Will save your life over and over again. Very good ability, and main defensive cd, as soon as they focus you, pop this, and your good. They will switch targets pretty damn fast.

Expel Harm:

Your best heal, and ranged chi builder, love this ability so much! Make sure to use this whenever possible.

Chi Wave:

Good heal, and decent (at best) damage. I suggest making macro's for this (covered in macro's section), and making sure to keep this on cd at all times.

Tiger Palm:

Not much needed to say here, keep that debuff up on your target, 30% more dmg is a lot!

7. General Tips

Off the start of an Arena match, I like to pop xuen on my target, leg sweep them, tiger palm, and rising sun kick for debuffs, then fists of fury. A lot of the time, we can kill a target in the first few seconds of the game (if I have a good burst like warrior or mage) it's really a good setup.

When dpsing someone, I like to roll behind their healer, pop Paralysis, and roll back into the fight and dps some more, good move.

Do not underestimate Spinning Fire Blossom, if you are using the glyph of blackout kick, and have the dmg dot on them, don't hesitate to use fire blossom in blackout kick's place, it does the same or more damage against mail/plate users.

8. Macros

My main macro's:

TIGER'S LUST
#showtooltip
/cast [@playername] Tiger's Lust

CD's
#showtooltip Tigereye Brew
/use 14
/use 10
/cast Tigereye Brew
/cast Energizing Brew

Depending on my talents, I like to not use Tigerseye Brew and Energizing Brew together because if I take Healing Elixers in the 5th tier, I like to always have a Brew available to heal up, so if I can brew and heal, but say Tigerseye Brew is still on CD, I can use Energizing Brew.

Manjbisk's Chi Wave macro:
#showtooltip Chi Wave
/use [@target,help,nodead] [@player] Chi Wave

CANCEL AURAS
Also important macros, these make you stop channeling your Spinning Crane Kick or Zen Meditation if you notice you need to do something else.
#showtooltip
/cancelaura Spinning Crane kick
/cast Spinning Crane Kick

FOCUS MACROS
I prefer separate focus macros for my CC's but you could also bake them in the main buttons:
#showtooltip
/cast [@focus] Paralysis

OR

#showtooltip
/cast [@arena#] Paralysis

(where # is 1,2,3,4, or 5 depending on the arena target you want to cast it on)

Check out this thread: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794731470
For more macro ideas!

9. DW or 2H

Duel Wield is the best option here. It's not a huge difference, but if you're like me and like to have the most optimal stats than take duel wield. You get an extra enchant, more tiger procs.

Thanks for reading my guide! If you have any input/want to share your own ideas, please don't hesitate to post! I love reading your comments!
switch glyph of fists of fury for touch of death
12/05/2012 06:23 PMPosted by Doublejab
switch glyph of fists of fury for touch of death

Thanks, I actually forgot about this one, I have added it to other viable glyphs because I believe that fists of fury is still more important to have than touch of death. Because let's assume the target has 350k hp. At 10% of their hp, (35k) it's not even worth using, I can easily double this damage with a RSK, even a crit blackout kick can reach this damage with ease.
Seems like a lot of this was copied and pasted off of http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pvp/monk/windwalker/stat-priority.

What's your reasoning to Crit vs Haste?

If you're going to provide an in-depth PvP guide at least put out all the reasons to what you choose.
Minor:
- Glyph of Blackout Kick
The other minor glyphs aren't worth talking about and are all preference.

Spirit/Water roll are pretty vital for RBG's.

12/05/2012 05:26 PMPosted by Tèdril
Off the start of an Arena match, I like to pop xuen on my target, leg sweep them, tiger palm, and rising sun kick for debuffs, then fists of fury. A lot of the time, we can kill a target in the first few seconds of the game (if I have a good burst like warrior or mage) it's really a good setup.

Fists of Fury is a DPS loss if you can't get the full hits in. And if you're running with a Warrior or a Mage, it's not going to stun for longer than 1 second, and they can move out of the way. Complete loss of 3 Chi points.
Seems like a lot of this was copied and pasted off of http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pvp/monk/windwalker/stat-priority.

What's your reasoning to Crit vs Haste?

If you're going to provide an in-depth PvP guide at least put out all the reasons to what you choose.

Not copied and pasted at all. I believe you are referring to stat priorities being copied and pasted? They happen to be the same because they are what I assume to be the most optimal stats to take.

I like crit over haste because I like having that huge damage increase for RSK, but the main reason is that I find that If I prioritize haste over crit, then I get too much haste and have more energy than I need, which means wasted stats.

Spirit/Water roll are pretty vital for RBG's.

Yes, I take both of these, but I feel that they have such a low impact it wasn't worth adding, but since you said that I've gone ahead and added them.

Fists of Fury is a DPS loss if you can't get the full hits in. And if you're running with a Warrior or a Mage, it's not going to stun for longer than 1 second, and they can move out of the way. Complete loss of 3 Chi points.

I don't agree, FoF is an amazing ability and wins me games all the time. You may (or may not) be losing DPS, but you get to lock down the target while your partner destroys them.
shameless bump
I disagree with the stat priority. Expertise is our best stat in pvp so that we have more chances to line up tiger strikes with trinkets and tigereye as well as further guaranteeing that disable lands. Because we have no passive damage reduction outside of sparring (and we're leather based 26% armor at best) stacking res is vital, the 7-9% pvp power you lose from not gemming it is nothing compared to the resilience you will gain, especially now that it does not increase our heals. Our damage is so smooth that you will either be on your target long enough to kill it or you just wont so having that extra pvp power means almost nothing.
This guide is way off, might want to actually get some experience beyond killing bads in an opener at low rating lol.
ugghhhh another guy copying and pasting information that has been passed down for weeks. I understand people want their 15min of internet fame...

but

stop

being

redundant

+1 for time and effort - 51 for content
12/05/2012 07:26 PMPosted by Tèdril
FoF is an amazing ability and wins me games all the time.

At what? The 1500 MMR? Where people will stand there to let you literally pummel them into submission?

It's a stun that DR's with pretty much anything else in the game. You'll hit them for one whole second before they just waltz out of your range.
12/06/2012 06:56 AMPosted by Waterchild
Expertise is our best stat in pvp so that we have more chances to line up tiger strikes with trinkets and tigereye as well as further guaranteeing that disable lands

Expertise is our best stat up to 3%. After that, you're just gearing specifically for non casters/healers.
12/06/2012 07:40 AMPosted by Augiddin
This guide is way off, might want to actually get some experience beyond killing bads in an opener at low rating lol.

Please elaborate on your comment.

ugghhhh another guy copying and pasting information that has been passed down for weeks. I understand people want their 15min of internet fame...

but

stop

being

redundant

+1 for time and effort - 51 for content

Actually none of this was copied and pasted, all of the information came from my testing and skill. This is the most optimal way to max out your monks potential. If you disagree, tell me why, and give proof, don't just say it's wrong.

12/06/2012 08:38 AMPosted by Xiangyu
Expertise is our best stat in pvp so that we have more chances to line up tiger strikes with trinkets and tigereye as well as further guaranteeing that disable lands

Expertise is our best stat up to 3%. After that, you're just gearing specifically for non casters/healers.

Yes, this is true, reforging more than 3% expertise is a waste of stats.