Big Book of Nelves: Now seeking RP Profiles!

Moon Guard
Post Limit:
I'll get to work on it... eventually

Got dailies to do, and getting a hair cut today
I'll get to work on it... eventually

Got dailies to do, and getting a hair cut today

Hair cuts should be another topic!

But don't worry about when you finish. The realm does not have an immediate need for the Big Book of Nelf Fanon. We can take out time and have fun with it.
Done with my spiel

Waiting on your email reply
Sent in the diet thing last night. E-mail was acting up, so I was later in sending it than expected. Revised it a bit, still making minor changes here and there.
Done with my spiel

Waiting on your email reply

I have replied. I got the email, but I didn't see anything attached.

12/07/2012 12:27 PMPosted by Falkoen
Sent in the diet thing last night. E-mail was acting up, so I was later in sending it than expected. Revised it a bit, still making minor changes here and there.

It looks very good! I am going to throw a blogish thing together so we can post all the articles.
12/07/2012 12:48 PMPosted by Pylsur
It looks very good! I am going to throw a blogish thing together so we can post all the articles.

Sweet. If I get the urge today, I'll write on Draenei/Night Elf relations.

Sweet. If I get the urge today, I'll write on Draenei/Night Elf relations.

Excellent!
I am now also looking for a short blurb for Night Elf-themed guilds that would like to be listed as a Nelf organization. If you are a GM and would like your guild put in the Guild Index, please follow this template:

IC Name: Guardians of the Cabbage
Guild tag: <Nelves in Hats>
Theme: Military/Sentinel
Story: Guardians of the Cabbage are an elite unit of Sentinels under the command of Vespasia Autocorrect.... ((try to keep to a 50 word limit)).
Looking for more Nelf guilds.
There you go.
Woo, graduated
12/08/2012 03:18 PMPosted by Mistreaver
Woo, graduated

Congratulations!
Thankies. So exhausted ><
12/08/2012 03:18 PMPosted by Mistreaver
Woo, graduated

Well done! I'm jelly. Won't be graduating with my AA until next year... Then off for 2 more years to get a BA. THEN I can start teaching.
I'm gonna try and get straight into my Master's. My goal is to teach at a university.

Screw highschool
I'm gonna try and get straight into my Master's. My goal is to teach at a university.

Screw highschool

What is your subject?

Screw highschool

What is your subject?

History

What is your subject?

History

History...

It never gets old!

History

History...

It never gets old!

Yesterday is history. Tommorow is a mystery, but today is a gift. that is why they call it the present.

-Master Oogway
Modern Night Elf Military Tactics

"They almost look like elves, but they are far too tall and far too savage."
-Grom Hellscream

This now-familiar quote perfectly describes the Night Elven philosophy. The Night Elves do not practice warfare the same way most of the other species on Azeroth do; rather, they rely almost exclusively on the "strike fast, strike hard, no mercy" tactic, something that has served them very well over the last ten thousand years. Recent developments, however, have brought to light the limitations of this form of warfare, as well as the challenges still facing the Night Elves in a changing world.

A Brief History

Prior to the Sundering and the War of the Ancients, the Night Elf military effectiveness had deteriorated immensely due to the lack of any outside threats. So efficient had the Night Elf military been in securing the Night Elf people and eliminating any and all threats that service in the army was no longer a matter of defence of the realm but rather a matter of status, especially for officers. Due to this lack of battle experience and basic military tactical knowledge, the Night Elves were almost completely unprepared for the coming of the Burning Legion at the start of the War of the Ancients, and this very nearly resulted in the complete annhiliation of the Night Elves and a new base of operations for the Burning Legion. Only fortunate circumstances, bickering within the Legion's ranks, and the presence of powerful and competent individuals withing the Night Elf ranks prevented a victory for the Burning Legion.

This near-loss resulted in wide-spread changes within Night Elf society, which are well-known and outside the scope of this particular subject. However, because of these societal changes, the Night Elf military was also dramatically restructured in two fundamental ways. The Night Elf Army, up to now a nearly useless organisation, was replaced by the Sentinels, a group of warrior priestesses originally charged with the protection of the Sisters of Elune. These women were chosen, trained, and promoted through the merits of their abilities alone, and not through their political or social connections. This merit-based system was arguably the reason why the Sisters of Elune were able to survive the War of the Ancients relatively intact, as the Sentinels performed their tasks admirably. In fact, of all the groups involved in the fight, the Sisters of Elune were the only organisation to come out of the War relatively intact, and this is due entirely to the martial training of the Sentinels.

The other major change of the Night Elf military was the disbandment of the Moon Guard, the spellcasting soldiers tasked with the protection of Night Elf society. When arcane magic and its practise was banned by the new leaders of the Night Elves, most of the mages left Kalimdor with the Highborne to form the High Elves (now, Blood Elves). Those few who remained, however, turned their attention away from the arcane and towards the new discipline of druidism. These new druids formed the Cenarian Circle, and while a formidable fighting force that can be called upon when needed, they are not a formal part of the Night Elf military. As a result, other than the powers granted to the priestesses of Elune, the Night Elves are unique in all of Azeroth as having the only military that does not use magic as a major part of its arsenal. This lack of magic is the key to the modern Night Elf military tactics.

Recce and Initial Contact

The innate ability of the Night Elf to shadowmeld seems to have almost predetermined what their fighting style would ultimately be. This same ability also allows the Night Elf Sentinel to be able to observe an enemy force with little to no chance of being observed in turn. As such, a Night Elf scouting party will be able to gather an invaluable amount of intelligence on any group for essentially as long as they wish to continue observing.

A senior commander with 7th Legion once quipped, "Whenever you're in Night Elf territory, just assume you're being watched. You'd probably be right." While this is obviously an exaggeration, like with all myths and legends there is an element of truth to it. Clearly, there is no way that an invading or trespassing party can be immediately observed by Sentinel patrols. However, in their role as the self-appointed guardians of natural balance over the last several millenia, the Night Elves have amassed a great deal of knowledge and experience at recognising changes within their territories. While an invading or trespassing party will not be instantly noticed, any Sentinel patrol that comes upon their path will instantly know that someone is in the area. With the frequency of Sentinel patrols along the borders of Ashenvale and Feralas, this discovery will occur within three days of entry into the Night Elves' domain.