Coming back to WOW

New Player Help and Guides
i quit playing after WOTLK and now im thinking about coming back. Should i go through all the cata stuff or level and skip it. is there anything new i should know about and can someone help me with SoR. like how does that work and how do i get it?
You'll have to go through some of the Cata content to level from 80 to 85. (At 85 you get the quest to enter Mists of Pandaria content.) Unless you want to level 5 levels via cooking and fishing dailies, but trust me it takes forever and your gear will be terrible.

With the buffs to leveling speed, if you join a level 25 guild you could easily get to 85 through just 2 of the Cata zones, I would suggest Hyjal to start and see what opens up when you're done with it.

There is a SoR sticky at the top of this forum that provides links to all the official information as well as allows you to request a SoR.
One thing you should try and get used to is the Talents. most of them turned into set abilitys and will unclock as you level, there is also abilitys you can choose every 15 levels ranging from three choises each. As for the SoR if you can get a friend to send you an invite you can pick a charater and boost it to lvl 80 and even do a fration change but on the one charater. you will also get a free cata upgrade. For your friend who sends you the SoR they can get a unique mount.

sorry about the grammer. You can find a talent calc in the game guide section on the site as well.
Welcome back! If you can find someone who will Scroll you, go for it, but I really recommend leveling. Cataclysm changed everything from 1 to 60, the quests are all now really good and it doesn't take a long time at all.

You learn spells as you level up. Class trainers are now for dual spec and resetting talents. You don't need to train spells from them.

Talents have changed quite a lot too. You get a new point every 15 levels and you choose 1 of 3 spells. There are no better options, take what talent you want.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/talent-calculator here's the calculator
I recommend checking out the 1-60 content at some point, either on this toon or one or more alts, just to see the huge amount of content that was added. With this character, I'd suggest nuking a target dummy for a bit, then heading to either Mount Hyjal or Vashj'ir (most people find Hyjal easier to manage since Vash is underwater, and enemies are in every direction). You can get the intro quests for both from the Hero's Call board near the banks.
I took the SoR after taking about a year off, auto-leveled a toon to 80 but then deleted that toon because I wanted to experience the game again. I figured if so much has changed in 12 months starting at 80 would probably put me behind everyone else at that level, as I'd essentially have to learn to play again. The only other high level toon I have is an 85 DK from before I quit, but I wont touch him until I learn the ropes again.
I leveled through cata a bunch of times. IMO:

Mount Hyjal is probably the better zone to quest through until 82, and the story gets better as it goes on. If you get into it, by all means finish it out before going into Deepholm. Skip Vash'jir unless you need some more experience to get into Deepholm. Parts of it are pretty good, but it's not as good a zone as a whole.

Deepholm is worth doing every quest. They are painless and the story is ok. The main concern, however, is that Uldum is not interesting and a pain to grind through. I would stay in Deepholm until 84, and skip Uldum entirely.

Twighlight Highlands is pretty smooth for about half the level. You'll want to run the Crucible of Carnage for some easy experience. You should hit 85 before you finish the zone. MoP has better quests, better storylines, and much better 85 gear, so I would switch immediately.

You should also run each Cata dungeon at least once. The quest experience is very worthwhile.
I then heading to either Mount Hyjal or Vashj'ir (most people find Hyjal easier to manage since Vash is underwater, and enemies are in every direction). You can get the intro quests for both from the Hero's Call board near the banks.

Mount Hyjal is probably the better zone to quest through until 82, and the story gets better as it goes on. If you get into it, by all means finish it out before going into Deepholm. Skip Vash'jir unless you need some more experience to get into Deepholm. Parts of it are pretty good, but it's not as good a zone as a whole.

To each their own. I loved Vash'jir. To me it was the highlight of Cataclysm. Just an absolutely beautiful zone, and like nothing else in the game. Seeing the whale shark swimming in the distance, and the variety of detail Blizzard put into to creatures and plants is amazing. And if you're a mount collector you'll get a seahorse early in the zone. You can't use it anywhere else, but it counts towards the 'meta' achievement.

That being said, it's probably a bit too large (both in size and number of quests) and many people don't like being underwater. Leveling through Hyjal is quicker (on my alt I'll probably go through Hyjal) and the storyline fits into the overall Cataclysm story much better. And there's a trampoline, which is fantastic. I've heard Vash'jir described along the lines of "the most amazing zone that I never want to go through again".

Vash'jir isn't for everyone - but I think every WoW player should check it out at least once. Some of the underwater areas in MoP remind me of it a bit in a small scale. If you want to see how much the game has changed i - compare the 'vanilla' underwater areas with the Cataclysm and MoP ones.
^^^I would agree with Amandalynn with that you should try Vash'jir at the start. I personally thought it was an amazing step for Blizzard with being underwater and the whole 3-D aspect of enemies being everywhere, but one time through felt fine for me. The zone is a great experience for the first time but I can't force myself to go through it after that. Bottom line: Highly recommend giving Vash'jir a try your first time through and if you don't like it after that then go through Mount Hyjal til 82 or with alts since it's most similar to other WoW zones.