Adjust Prayer of Healing?

Priest
Hello Priests! I'm sure you know what issue I'm about to address.
With Prayer of Healing, you heal only your party members. Now in Dungeons, this is acceptable. But when it comes to (R)BGs or raids you wind up overhealing people in your party with full health, it might be more appropriate to heal the players with the lowest health (like atonement). As for range, I guess 30-40 yds would be satisfactory.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I'd like to hear your feedback.
Maybe for Holy (but they have CoH so not really)

Disc needs the group limitation to have any kind of decent control over DA.
You're asking for PoH to be a smart heal. Not only would it be nerfed, but Disc would lose its ability to accurately preempt damage by blanketing Spirit Shell/DA. That would be terrible for any raiding priest.

I also don't know that much about PvP, but I've never heard of anyone using PoH regularly, if at all, in normal BGs—let alone RBGS—and I'm pretty sure it's not because of the party restriction.
For PvP, if you get time to use this in RBGs, you should be dispelling or MDing, healing those that need it the most. The only time I can see myself use this is from behind LoS. (Since it is an LoS heal).
/PVE_derail

I know that Ghostcrawler has said they like that PoH is a skill based heal and not another chain heal or wild growth... but there other ways of updating Prayer of Healing without making it too powerful or wasteful should it not hit enough players.

I've had my raid leaders adjust groups so people stay together... or have 1 melee per group to hit anybody spread as long as they stay near the melee pile, but some fights this doesn't keep it hitting everybody. A 40yd radius would really help on many encounters, but some places, it just doesn't measure up as a "skilled heal" when it's the only AoE heal you have as discipline.

Sha of Fear for example. This heal feels "smart" in 10m where likely 3 of the 5 taken to a platform will be in the same group... and it feels stupid in 25m where it's likely no more than 2 will be in the same party. This gives 25m a much "harder" approach to healing the group than 10m, despite the balance between the raid sizes dev's are so proud to mention (which on many encounters, it's true).

Without making a smart heal (which most agree when the impact to absorbs is mentioned is a bad idea), how about something else?
What might be a nice change is have Prayer of Healing's strength be based on how many it hits. If less than 5 targets are within the radius of the targeted person, make it hit each 10% harder per player missing for example.
This could be adjusted, but at this rate, the 80/60/40/20% effectiveness currently seen for decreasing players would become instead 88/72/52/28%
The idea isn't to make it more powerful in raw HPS than current PoH to 5 targets, but just to make it not hurt our healing when say someone is far away or dead. For disc, it would probably need to adjusted in the Divine Aegis area, but again, this is just a suggestion on a way to "modernize" in a way that doesn't make it just another chain heal.

This would allow for a skill factor of picking the right person to hit without as strong penalty on fights where large radius spreading is needed.
PoH's "skill" factor currently relies on addons and raid organization. You need an addon to be able to effectively choose your primary target in each group for PoH unless your organization is so good that you know exactly who to target at all times, which is fairly unlikely. There is no reasonable way with the default UI to determine which person is best in any given group or how many players (let alone which players) you will hit when you cast it on any given one.

While a smart heal would not work for absorbs, that doesn't make PoH's design good, it simply means that a smart heal would be bad.
PoH's "skill" factor currently relies on addons and raid organization. You need an addon to be able to effectively choose your primary target in each group for PoH unless your organization is so good that you know exactly who to target at all times, which is fairly unlikely. There is no reasonable way with the default UI to determine which person is best in any given group or how many players (let alone which players) you will hit when you cast it on any given one.

While a smart heal would not work for absorbs, that doesn't make PoH's design good, it simply means that a smart heal would be bad.

I agree that it's dated, but unfortunately necessary.

At least Disc gained a smart heal this expac (Cascade).
Cascade isn't smart, it chooses targets based on range, not potential healing.
Well at least it hits everyone in 10m unless you have more than 6 pets/guardians?

I don't know.
Well at least it hits everyone in 10m unless you have more than 6 pets/guardians?

I don't know.

You seem clueless about the spell, but it's meh in PvP.
I think that Disc should get a separate new spell or bubble effect to deal with AE healing issues, PoH should stay the way it is.

Maybe something based on the Wrath bubble Disc lost in Cata: Renewed Hope.

I would reduce the damage received by 3%. Have all PoMs and PoHs proc this effect on targets. This would mitigate the overhealing aspect of the latter and make the former a more desirable spell to keep on cooldown.

I don't know.

You seem clueless about the spell, but it's meh in PvP.

I've used it, I'd rather have Halo for the stealth break + higher burst heal.

I was just under the impression that Cascade was smart, my mistake.
I've rarely used PoH during PvP combat. Rarely are there enough people in my group in range to justify using the mana on it, and it is just another risk at getting locked out of spells. Healing people up after wiping the enemy, or while safely LOSing would be the only time I'd use it.

I love Cascade, though. It's awesome when in Serenity and Renews are rolling on everyone in range. I love the graphic, as well :)
Considering the state of spirit shell right now stacking DA isn't really necessary. As such here is an easy fix to the whole situation. Change POH into a smart heal. Upon using spirit shell prayer of healing is no longer a smart heal and instead heals people in the same party. This way you are still allowed to stack your absorbs but have a smart heal during the rest of the time.
And we still have the same problems whenever we need healing the most. I prefer the idea of compensating for players out of range either by increasing the power of the heals on the targets it hits, or causing a bonus smart heal for each missed targets.