Glyph of Shadowbolt for Affliction

Warlock
Post Limit:
****************************POST EDIT*************************
For the TL;DR folk, I just want the minor glyph to change the appearance of MG from the Purple Soul Stream, to a Channeled Shadow bolt spell, Like Arcane missiles or Penance. Ultimately I don't want the mechanics of MG to change, I like the 50% bonus tick, I like how it's set up, I'm just asking to tweak a glyph to change the appearance of a spell

The rest is just lead up for me lamenting for Shadow bolt.

I do miss our old Shadowbolt, so I wondered if it can be worked into bringing it back
MG is channeled, and not a hard cast, as well having the effect of causing our dots to tick.
I wondered how this could be over come, a 2 second cast with the same effect, 1.5 with a decreased effect, just wondering if it could ever come back and be balanced.
Then I leveled an Arcane Mage for a little bit, and I saw it
Arcane missles is a channeled spell, and does damage about every one second as it lands.
So why not have a cosmetic change to have the MG turn into a channeled Shadow bolt barrage, It can do the same amount of damage, have the same effect, and is even in the same cosmetic school of magic (shadow), none of the mechanics have to change. The animation is even present in the game for a multiple shadow bolt spell with the demonology. The only thing that may hinder it is the Logic stand point (If I'm launching Three mini shadow bolts convening on one target, how come it only registers one hit) but hey, every robe I find is shocking low cut, and is tattered for my hip bones, and fleshless joints, and I can live with that.

Thoughts?
Feedback, comments, criticism . . .
Maybe just a bit of love?
I couldn't agree more. Not to say that MG is bad looking by any means, but I do miss SB as affliction.
I feel Lame for bumping this, but unlike all the other QQing most people do (Including myself =D) I think this is entirely viable in game, since everything is already in place.
They have a glyph for it, they have the animation, and the mechanics won't be changed. I think the largest change is having some spells for affliction changed to "Shadowbolt" from "Malefic Grasp" but since SB changes to MG when specced Affliction, how big of a change could it be?
If you want to cast shadow bolts, why don't you play demonology?
I'm not a fan of the stance dancing, or being overreliant on a pet. I enjoy playing affliction, I am just requesting a cosmetic change for the sake of nostalgia, Shadow bolt was you're first spell, and was a staple until this last expansion.
I'm not asking for an overhaul of the mechanics, or replacing MG entirely (Though not to long ago I was) Having a channeled shadow bolt spam, like arcane missles, where it does damage at the same amount, at the same intervals as MG, with the same effect seems like something that be added with a minor glyph, that already exists. The animation exists in game, and wouldn't change anything in our output or rotation.
Just take the Demo's tri-shadowbolt, loop it and make it last 5 seconds.
I know that it's not as cake as that, and will require some work under the hood, adding "shadowbolt" to the code that affects MG, but it's a small suggestion to see an old friend
You're not "overreliant" on your pet as demonology.

He attacks whatever I attack, he never dies unless I do, and every minute I press one button to use his superability. It's really like he's not even there, I don't understand when people say they don't want to manage a pet. There really is almost zero management.
12/06/2012 12:48 PMPosted by Dancemacabre
I am just requesting a cosmetic change for the sake of nostalgia

How is asking to change a channeled spell that affects how your dots work for a casted spell that doesn't is "just a cosmetic change" ?

There's no way to make shadow bolt do what malefic grasp does, because one is a channel and the other is a casted nuke.

It would make much more sense to ask for shadow bolt to replace haunt (since both are casted nukes).

What you're asking is something like "replace healthstone with mage portals, just a cosmetic change". wat?
12/06/2012 01:36 PMPosted by Lokthen
There's no way to make shadow bolt do what malefic grasp does, because one is a channel and the other is a casted nuke.

Have you ever seen Arcane Missiles? Something like that is what the OP is suggesting. Make every tick fire a shadow bolt.
OP, I love this idea. Just wanted to let you know that, even though it will never happen, because Blizzard will never make their coders do extra work for something like a minor cosmetic change for one class that will only please a few players. Be glad that all classes got cool cosmetic minor glyphs (well, except Warlocks arguably) in the first place.
12/06/2012 02:48 PMPosted by Insanovich
Be glad that all classes got cool cosmetic minor glyphs (well, except Warlocks arguably) in the first place.

Glyph of Soulwell would like a word. Also Glyph of Nightmares (which is not only cosmetic). I'm ok with our cosmetic glyphs actually :D

Have you ever seen Arcane Missiles? Something like that is what the OP is suggesting. Make every tick fire a shadow bolt.

Yep, indeed.

12/06/2012 02:48 PMPosted by Insanovich
OP, I love this idea. Just wanted to let you know that, even though it will never happen, because Blizzard will never make their coders do extra work for something like a minor cosmetic change for one class that will only please a few players. Be glad that all classes got cool cosmetic minor glyphs (well, except Warlocks arguably) in the first place.

I know it's an incredible long shot, and the cynics will say "If they haven't worked on a Female Meta Form, Green Fire, or flying mounts, what makes you think they would even work on this!" but I guess trying to drum up support, and how to best approach implementing it, while holding out hope.

Plus you never know who might be scanning and lurking in the forums.

Also there is a way to enter suggestions in game, through the "Help" option in the System Settings Menu. At the bottom, under Create Ticket, and Bug Report, there is a "Suggestion" submission option, where it encourages the community to add ideas. There is a legal mumbo jumbo saying that by submitting an idea you are in no way entitled for compensation, and so on. I think if a vocal minority would press this, respectfully, through the assigned avenues , it can be done.
And again, I don't believe it would require too much tinkering, since Shadow Bolt turns into Malefic Grasp when you spec into affliction, and hit level 40ish, but I'm not a coder, and that's just me throwing spit on a wall.
Nope, I'm fine with MG. In fact, I kinda like how every spec has it's own personal filler. when I miss shadow bolt, I go demo.
Nope, I'm fine with MG. In fact, I kinda like how every spec has it's own personal filler. when I miss shadow bolt, I go demo.

Hes asking for a glyph, that would be cosmetic, it would still be MG in application but look like a barrage of SB. While personally I might not use it if they did implement it, it still sounds cool to have.
I love how MG looks, but I like this idea even more. Machine gunning Shadow Bolts?! Yes!
Combine this with the current glyph of shadowbolt. Guaranteed to scare this !@#$ out of anyone.
I love the idea OP and i think they could just add the effect to the current Glyph of Shadowbolt, kind of like how Glyph of Verdant Spheres works, it does one thing for Afflic and one thing for Demo
Exactly. I feel that everything in already in the game for it to be implemented.
But again, lets not just talk about it, lets be about it.

Again under the Help menu, it opens up a customer support, and there is a button for "Suggestions" where it states:

"Player feedback helps the World of Warcraft team find opportunities to improve every aspect of the game"

So don't feel guilty for making a suggestion through the proper channels. if you want to see it happen.
Again, the glyph is optional, no one has to pick it up, keep the Eye of Kilrogg and subtlety.
To say one persons thoughts, should speak for a community, it's like me saying that I don't care about Green Fire and should scrap that.
But I understand there is a huge desire for it and am not saying scrap one mechanic.

Anyway Green Fire is coming, maybe 5.2, I believe from data mining, and through some interviews done, the quest line and items exist; I can't speak so surely about the Female Meta Form (which is something else I would love to see.) Hopefully it's included with the new character models.