mouse/keybind help

Games, Gaming and Hardware
TL;DR at bottom.

Long version: I have been using a thumbwheel mouse for awhile and I have been using 1-0 and f1-f0 for spells. Tab targeting. It was ok but I really struggled to get past 6 or f6. Tab targeting isnt really great. All of my movement was done by the mouse so no strafe and trying to run/turn and mouseover anything or click anything was a no go.

I finally bit the bullet and got a gaming mouse, a Logitech G600. I reset binds to default. I'm trying to figure out the best way to use this thing. It has 12 side buttons that default to 1-=. It also has a nifty ring finger button that doesn't seen to do anything. I tried binding to it and using it in combination with other keys. I assume I have to change something in the mouse software?

I think the ring finger button could make a nice shift modifier. Also, I'm so used to using 1-5 and f1-f5, I think keeping them as keybinds would be fine. My only concern with 1-5 and f1-f5 is using wasd for movment. wasd feels fine and natural as tab/shift/ctrl are right there too. It doesn't seem like I can get to 1-5/f1-f5 while using wasd. I can but it's a mess lol.

Tl;DR:
Whats the best way to use a gaming mouse? Shoudl I forget about 1-= and f1-f12? Should I rebind movement to something else? I know some of this is personal preference but I'd like to hear from other players.

Thanks in advance.
I can't offer you additional information, as I'm kind of in the same situation as you. I'm on the verge of getting a new mouse; one with a thumb button. From my end, all I want is to bind alt and/or shift to the mouse.

If you bind one or both of those buttons, you can put everything as 1-5, F1-F5, plus modifier. You should still be able to use WASD as movement.
I believe that "ring finger button" is meant to be a shift-button yes.

It's certainly showing what looks to be a picture of that with this text:

"Double down with G-Shift

Assigning the G-Shift function to a button on the G600 doubles the functionality of the other buttons on the mouse – giving you massive configuration power and flexibility.
"

I don't have one of those, so I couldn't tell you how to configure it.