Need some input on a build

Games, Gaming and Hardware
hey folks. with Christmas coming up, I figured now would be a good excuse to throw down some money on a new rig. my current one is some old jalopy I bought from Future Shop 6 years ago, 2 gigs of ram and an 8800gts that is (was) it's only redeeming factor. needless to say, it's time for something new.

that being said, I'm a little iffy on buying the parts and throwing my own together. as far as computer customization goes, the furthest I've ventured is putting in the aforementioned video card. what I came here to ask, is....with such little experience, is it possible for me to build my own computer, and then set everything up afterwards? (ie; installing windows and whatnot)

I took the forum's advice and threw something together on pcpartpicker.com. I've read through the guide that Kalganized posted, so I feel I have a decent idea of what to get and what not to. It matches my budget as well. either way, criticism is welcomed. [ http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rfvR ]

I also thought about purchasing the parts and just getting it assembled at a local PC shop. anyone have advice on that? I'm a bit worried that they'll mess something up just to bleed more money out of me.

thanks in advance!
Would you feel comfortable putting together a Lego set?

Then you can handle putting together a computer.

I don't know about your local PC shops, but they do run the gamut from honest places that wouldn't charge you for something they messed up to scam shops that make their bucks from little old ladies who don't understand how to get the cupholder to stay out.

Without knowing them, I can't say.

As far as your build goes...you have 3 sticks of RAM. You want to have them in sets of two, as that motherboard is dual-channel.

I'd also drop the sound card, your motherboard has on-board sound, if you don't like it, you can always add one later.

I don't know about your local PC shops, but they do run the gamut from honest places that wouldn't charge you for something they messed up to scam shops that make their bucks from little old ladies who don't understand how to get the cupholder to stay out.

fair enough! though I always had the issue of losing a few pieces and not being able to complete the set...guess I'll have to be careful.

Without knowing them, I can't say.

As far as your build goes...you have 3 sticks of RAM. You want to have them in sets of two, as that motherboard is dual-channel.

I'd also drop the sound card, your motherboard has on-board sound, if you don't like it, you can always add one later.

fixed the RAM issue, as well as the sound card per your advice. also changed up the motherboard as I read that the 970 Extreme3 won't support the processor. anyway, thanks for your response, helped a lot!
I don't know where you read that, it's on the CPU support list, you'd just need to update the BIOS. Which is sometimes a bit hard without a working CPU.

The Extreme4, by virtue of being a newer iteration would probably solve that problem by coming with an updated one in the first place.
I don't know where you read that, it's on the CPU support list, you'd just need to update the BIOS. Which is sometimes a bit hard without a working CPU.

The Extreme4, by virtue of being a newer iteration would probably solve that problem by coming with an updated one in the first place.

yeah that was my bad, in the excitement I misunderstood something
The only thing that will likely frustrate a novice PC builder is the frigginfraggin power-reset-hdd led cables. They're freakin' TINY and are probably going to be connected after you've mounted your board, so you may have limited space to work with. It's too easy to plug one into the wrong slot. Idk about other boards, but Asus' EZ Plug is, to me, the greatest thing since chocolate & peanut butter for it solves all my power-reset cable frustrations. Everything else is simple child's play. If you can match shapes then you'll be A-OK. Anymore (outside of internal SATA & USB connections), PC components really CAN'T be installed in the wrong slots.
The only thing that will likely frustrate a novice PC builder is the frigginfraggin power-reset-hdd led cables. They're freakin' TINY and are probably going to be connected after you've mounted your board, so you may have limited space to work with. It's too easy to plug one into the wrong slot. Idk about other boards, but Asus' EZ Plug is, to me, the greatest thing since chocolate & peanut butter for it solves all my power-reset cable frustrations. Everything else is simple child's play. If you can match shapes then you'll be A-OK. Anymore (outside of internal SATA & USB connections), PC components really CAN'T be installed in the wrong slots.

that has always been one of my main worries - connecting wires into the wrong spots. hopefully I can find a decent guide/the parts come with detailed instructions. I'm generally good with...working with my hands in tight spaces... so hopefully I don't have too many issues with space. thanks for the heads up!
12/06/2012 10:19 PMPosted by Mindquake
I'm generally good with...working with my hands in tight spaces...

*raises eyebrow*

In any case, NewEgg has a fantastic build-your-own tutorial that covers everything from the unboxing of the hardware to installation of Windows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

It's in three parts. It should direct you to parts 2 and 3 at the end.

With that in mind...it's pretty hard to plug something into the wrong slot. As Lyrenna says, it's much like legos, and your motherboard will come with a nifty little instruction manual that will tell you where to put everything.
12/07/2012 02:01 AMPosted by Liposuction
I'm generally good with...working with my hands in tight spaces...

*raises eyebrow*

In any case, NewEgg has a fantastic build-your-own tutorial that covers everything from the unboxing of the hardware to installation of Windows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

It's in three parts. It should direct you to parts 2 and 3 at the end.

With that in mind...it's pretty hard to plug something into the wrong slot. As Lyrenna says, it's much like legos, and your motherboard will come with a nifty little instruction manual that will tell you where to put everything.

bookmarked, thanks! this has definitely helped take a lot of pressure away from the situation haha. I think the biggest thing was the amount of money being thrown down + my inexperience with building. glad to know it's not too difficult of a task!