Armor or stamina?

New Player Help and Guides
I'm a level 26 Restoration Druid. I'm tossing up between two different pieces of armor. They have the same stats except:

One has +10 stamina

One has +39 more armor then the above item

Which is better, 39 armor or 10 stamina?
Resto druids really shouldn't worry too much about either of these stats, their focus should really just be intellect and spirit.

However, armor should never be much of a consideration for any character other then a tank, stamina would have higher preference.
As a Resto Druid, neither Stamina or Armor are "better" for you....they are both subpar.... You want to stack Intellect. That is your most important stat hands down.
Armor mitigates physical damage only. Stamina mitigates both physical and magical damage.
Guys, I'm not a total noob, I understand intellect is the most important attribute. I asked, out of the two, which is more important.
12/06/2012 04:57 PMPosted by Evinety
Guys, I'm not a total noob, I understand intellect is the most important attribute. I asked, out of the two, which is more important.

Which we answered, but if you understood how important intellect was you wouldn't be asking this question, because neither stats really mean anything to your resto druid while leveling.

Don't be insulted if we try to answer your question more thoroughly, we have no idea where you're coming from and don't know how much you know about the game. It's pretty strange for us to just assume you know one thing and not know another.
The answer being, unless you're the sort of person who likes crunching the numbers himself, to not care because you'll get something newer and shinier by the time someone else is arsed to figure it out for you.

Really, unless you're going for a twinking bracket (with expac cutoffs like 90 counting as "brackets"), it's not worth worrying about things you'll be outleveling shortly anyways.
12/06/2012 04:57 PMPosted by Evinety

And the answer is - 'whichever one has the most Intellect'.

If the Intellect is the same or around the same...then flip a coin. You'll replace it in a day or two anyway.
All other things being equal, Stamina's generally preferred for PvP use as well -- after 40 however, armor specialization should also be considered.
I'll just toss out stamina then to answer your question; however, to satisfy the the others posting here - assuming both pieces you're choosing from have equal amounts of intellect / spellpower values.
Evinety, the question you are asking is really this one: "Which piece of gear is going to improve my gear more - you can't directly compare X to Y!" The answer is which ever causes the most improvement, but that is sometimes hard to tell.

When it isn't clear which piece of gear is better, and you have to guesstimate quickly and generally which is going to have more impact to determine which is more valuable to you, one thing you can do is to take off a piece of gear that approximates the change in the other direction in some manner that lets you determine roughly which is going to add "more" to your existing gear as a percentage of whatever it affects.

For example, your gloves have 10 stamina and 87 armor.

If you remove your gloves, how much does that change the "reduces damage from attacks" percentage reported on the character screen? The 40 armor will add about half that much if you don't change anything else, so you have now have a percentage of "how useful it is" to judge it by.

How much does it change the amount of health you have have? You'll add about that much - if you convert that to a percentage of health, you also have a percentage of "how useful it is" to judge it by.

The rest - evaluating which impact is more valuable to you - is still a judgement call that you are really the only person who can make (or make well). But knowing that 10 stamina adds 2% health while 40 armor adds less than a 1% damage reduction (or whatever it works out to be) makes it a lot easier to judge which is more useful!

And of course you still have to know which stat affects what - an equal percentage change in health and damage reduction is still heavily "weighted" toward the stamina, since it helps with survival of both physical and magical attacks as pointed out.

<S>
Evinety, the question you are asking is really this one: "Which piece of gear is going to improve my gear more - you can't directly compare X to Y!" The answer is which ever causes the most improvement, but that is sometimes hard to tell.

When it isn't clear which piece of gear is better, and you have to guesstimate quickly and generally which is going to have more impact to determine which is more valuable to you, one thing you can do is to take off a piece of gear that approximates the change in the other direction in some manner that lets you determine roughly which is going to add "more" to your existing gear as a percentage of whatever it affects.

For example, your gloves have 10 stamina and 87 armor.

If you remove your gloves, how much does that change the "reduces damage from attacks" percentage reported on the character screen? The 40 armor will add about half that much if you don't change anything else, so you have now have a percentage of "how useful it is" to judge it by.

How much does it change the amount of health you have have? You'll add about that much - if you convert that to a percentage of health, you also have a percentage of "how useful it is" to judge it by.

The rest - evaluating which impact is more valuable to you - is still a judgement call that you are really the only person who can make (or make well). But knowing that 10 stamina adds 2% health while 40 armor adds less than a 1% damage reduction (or whatever it works out to be) makes it a lot easier to judge which is more useful!

And of course you still have to know which stat affects what - an equal percentage change in health and damage reduction is still heavily "weighted" toward the stamina, since it helps with survival of both physical and magical attacks as pointed out.

<S>

Thank you!!