Hunter Compendium 5.4

Hunter
Prev 1 4 5 6 10 Next
Do you recommend a guide / other forum that has a thread that focuses purely on Survival PvE (single target as well as AoE)?

I'm atm trying to do research and having a hard time finding accurate comparisons between Survival single target and BM single target.

I recently hit 90 (yesterday) and I find Survival to be my absolute favorite spec, especially since the spec just...... flows better. Not sure how to describe it, lol. Target switching is easier, less of a hassle dealing with pet, quick to switch between single target + a powerful AoE at any time. I'm just wondering if it carries enough single target damage (albeit behind BM, but enough so that playing the spec due to preference will not hinder my guild greatly).
02/09/2013 07:29 AMPosted by Bavok
I'm atm trying to do research and having a hard time finding accurate comparisons between Survival single target and BM single target.

SV closes the gap with BM in higher ilvl gear on single target fights. Also on fights where there is a lot of pet travel (Will of the Emperor and possibly Stone Guard), SV can be more beneficial. SV is always preferred in AoE situations (5 man heroics and AoE raid fights like heroic Sha, normal (and even heroic) Windlord, and Tsulong depending on your group makeup.

There is an elitist jerks SV guide that is nice (note, it was written pre MoP during testing but the core is still there):
http://elitistjerks.com/f74/t130605-mop_survival_hunter_guide/

You can look at worldoflogs.com and see the comparisons on 10m normal fights between SV and BM.

At the end of the day, play what you enjoy. The numbers aren't so huge of a difference that you are completely gimping yourself out of free DPS.

I am sorry that I do not have an all out SV guide. I do try to touch on it as much as possible. Maybe with 5.2 around the corner we will see more information.
Cheerio.

Perhaps now I'll do it right. =D
Could anyone explain in detail how the Pandaren is tied with the Troll in race DPS?
02/20/2013 12:03 AMPosted by Leon
Could anyone explain in detail how the Pandaren is tied with the Troll in race DPS?

The double food buff is nearly equivalent to having a third profession. Professions provide 320 Agility, the Pandaren racial provides 300 Agility. Everything I've seen has shown that Trolls are ahead of Pandaren by less than 100 DPS. On Beast bosses, Trolls will be far and away better, but in general the benefits of Berserking are approximately equal to that of Epicurean.
I went looking for a buff/debuff guide for hunters for the current content, and not finding one, I wrote one. As a hunter you bring the attack power buff, and can bring everything else with a pet (though some only as BM). Pets you should have, or at least know what to pick up if the raid buff/debuff isn't otherwise accounted for:

5% magic damage debuff - Dragonhawk
4% physical damage debuff - Boar or Ravager / [BM]: Worm/Rhino
Mastery - Cat / [BM] Spirit Beast
5% crit - Wolf / [BM] Qillen (also battle rez)
10% physical haste - Hyena or Serpent
12% armor debuff - Tallstrider or raptor
Spell Haste - Sporebat
Bloodlust - [BM] Corehound
10% Stamina - [BM] Silithid
Spell Power and 5% crit - [BM] Water Strider
Kings - [BM] Shale Spider

Situational:
Mortal Wounds -25% healing taken - [BM] Devilsaur. Better than having to cast Widow Venom if no other source is available (encounters such as Illidari Council, Twin Emps, Anub'arak, Halazzi back when it was a 10 man, or future encounters of this nature).

Weakened Blows -10% physical damage dealt - Bear or Carrion Bird. In fights where add damage is going to be completely unavoidable, this debuff can help out the healers, particularly in encounters with mind control away from the tanks. For the Sha of Anger world boss, a bear can save lives by quickly debuffing a stray mind control or a lot of angry adds targeted on a ranged player away from the tanks (often yourself).

Slow casting 50% increased cast time - sporebat / fox / goat [BM] Corehound, if they ever bring back an encounter like Reliquary of Souls (and yes, the slow casting debuff was very helpful on that fight when that content was relevant).

Battle Rez [BM] Quilen. Try to bring one if running the fight as BM. Never know when you're going to be the last one with a brez. If that means dismissing your current pet to bring him out (because you needed to provide a different buff), that's better than a dead DPS for two minutes, or not having a tank.

Spirit Beast Heal [BM] Spirit beast. This should never be on autocast, but rather you should macro this to heal either the tank, yourself, or your mouseover. In a raid with 4-5 BM hunters, you can conceivably scratch a healer (this is often how DPS records are set).

Tallstrider: Far superior to the raptor in most cases, as the sunder is not only an instant three stack, it's applied in a 10 yard radius. Nothing else in the game does this as well. This is the most important pet to bring to an encounter with heavy AoE, as your multishot, glaive toss or barrage, and the entire melee DPS team will benefit.

Worm/Chimera AoE: Still haven't seen the math on either of these. Anyone have any idea how good they are?
Updated with some more specific information for normal and heroic bosses.
02/25/2013 01:19 PMPosted by Mezasu
Updated with some more specific information for normal and heroic bosses.

You could also add using wyvern sting for lei shi, allowing a hunter to CC two of the spawns during protect.
02/25/2013 07:40 PMPosted by Luol
You could also add using wyvern sting for lei shi, allowing a hunter to CC two of the spawns during protect.

I completely forgot about this. Thank you :)
Just wanted to mention something on the Quilen Brez, last time I tested it, it DOESN'T reset the cd after every fight like every other long timer CD. So if you're gonna be relied upon it, bring multiple Quilen.

Interestingly, albeit this would rarely happen, this makes Hunters the only class who can use multiple Brezzes in 1 fight using multiple quilen in a 25m raid or open world boss.
I would like to add, that has helped me since BC and up. As for me I hate the fact of button pressing or clicking just to cast cobra shot or steady shot. So what i did was bound my mouse wheel up and mouse wheel down to my number 9 key. Then putting cobra shot or steady shot into the number 9 slot. Scrolling the mouse wheel up and down will cast cobra or steady shot making it easier to maneuver around and cast at the same time.

Also could anyone add about Lock and Load. I have been looking all over for some specifics on the topic and people seem to just leave it out in guides. When using lock and load does one wait for the ticks to fall off for example

Lock and Load occrus .... Explosive, arcane, explosive, arcane, explosive...continue rotation? Or quickly spam explosive. Ive read that you dont want to waste the ticks and over write them with a new explosive.
just found this

Lock and Load

Thanks to http://elitistjerks.com/f74/t130605-mop_survival_hunter_guide/#Lock_and_Load

This section is a bit of a legacy because our behavior when we get this proc should be very straightforward - spam three Explosive Shots. Past behavior, however, was significantly more complicated so it is worth mentioning what has changed and weird behavior you might notice. In Cataclysm, Lock and Load was changed so that it could only be consumed by Explosive Shot and not arcane shot. This allowed us to weave in arcane shots between Explosive Shots, but we were still concerned about Explosive Shots overwriting each other and causes us to lose one tick. An overall change to damage over time mechanics enabled us to shoot the first two Explosive Shots back to back and not lose a tick unless we shot the third Explosive Shot. If we instead fired three consecutive Explosive Shots we would only get 8 ticks. In Mists of Pandaria, the Explosive Shot DoT now functions under a revamped Piercing Shots/Ignite mechanic. It will still only do 8 ticks but the damage of one tick will get rolled into another, doing the same amount of damage as if we had 9 ticks neatly spread across time. This means that all we need to do to optimize Lock and Load procs is: Explosive Shot -> Explosive Shot -> Explosive Shot.
Working on updating this for 5.2

Please be patient. :)
Will do, also whose the idiot that reported your post? was it because its no longer up-to-date? or is it because they wanted to troll, either way there is no reason for your post to have been reported in my opinion.
Will do, also whose the idiot that reported your post? was it because its no longer up-to-date? or is it because they wanted to troll, either way there is no reason for your post to have been reported in my opinion.

Some people report the post to get it stickied instead of hitting the sticky button.
At least that's what I'm going to assume.
So it was reported originally to get it stickied, or has it been reported since this got sticky status because they didn't realize it was already a sticky?
Reported to be a sticky before it became a sticky.
Added Shado-Pan Assault rep items and what we believe to be some of the BiS pieces for this tier.
Will work on the hunter related strats for the ToT bosses when I get more caffeine in my system.

Edit: Added boss loot list.
Working on the Marksman section later.
question why crit>mastery>haste? other guides go crist>haste>mastery. Just want to understand why