Spec question

Warlock
Hey all!

According to what I've read here and in other sites, Affliction is the best DPS spec for raids atm.

I'm currently playing destro. I like the spec, but i'm considering changing to affliction. I never played as aff (well, I did in BC...), so I can't really say if I like it or not. I know that DPS depends on the player too, but the spec helps a bit.

What are your thoughts on affliction? Is it clunky? Viable for raids? Is the DPS worth the change? I'd like to know your opinion before I make a decision, since I've been playing destro since Cata.
Nothing?
Affliction is easier than ever this expac. You can apply all your dots at once (with shards) if you prefer not refreshing things manually. Everything I hear about affliction suggests that unless you're completely incompetant at it you'll do significantly more DPS under it than the other specs in raids.
Affliction is pretty simple. I haven't done any raiding but I use it for heroics.

Check http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/warlock/affliction for rotation and such, but it's generally something like:

Soulburn + Soul Swap (Applies Agony, Corruption, and U.Affliction)
Curse of Elements
Haunt
Maelific Grasp if target is above 20% HP, Drain Soul if below.

Don't let your dots fall off and you'll be fine. With Pandemic, you don't have to worry as much about refreshing dots before they're fully done. In general, once a dot has 2-3 seconds remaining, I'll refresh.

Also, you never want to have full soul shards because of Night Fall procs. If you find yourself with 4 shards, burn one on Haunt.

There's not too much more to it than that. Once you're comfortable with the spec, you can check out an addon called AffDots which helps manage DoT power which is sort of an "advanced" topic.

edit: fixed link
12/07/2012 10:30 AMPosted by Xandrie
Affliction is easier than ever this expac. You can apply all your dots at once (with shards) if you prefer not refreshing things manually. Everything I hear about affliction suggests that unless you're completely incompetant at it you'll do significantly more DPS under it than the other specs in raids.

This is correct. It's very easy to be 90% as effective as you can be as affliction, and if you can achieve that you'll be beating the other specs on a lot of fights. The remaining 10% is pretty hard, but the only way you'll get there is through practice.

A nameplate mod like tidyplates is absolutely necessary. Affdots and drainsouler help.

You don't need to CoE if you have rouges.
If you like the destro spec then don't change it. Unless you're in a guild that will kick you from the raid if you don't play what's (sometimes wrongly) considered the top spec, then play what you enjoy. I tried affliction and didn't like it, some do. I enjoy destro and demo a lot more and that's what I play.

Also, it's almost never the case that one spec will be the best spec for all raid bosses. Demo is better than aff for AoE at the moment.
Affliction is easier than ever this expac. You can apply all your dots at once (with shards) if you prefer not refreshing things manually. Everything I hear about affliction suggests that unless you're completely incompetant at it you'll do significantly more DPS under it than the other specs in raids.


There is a huge difference between an aff lock and a good aff lock. Affliction is not an easy spec at all if it's being played correctly.
The difference is not going to be as big as Sims say so. This is due to the fact that it would require PERFECT pandemic management to hit that huge affliction number, which is nearly impossible due to human error.

Join the Conversation

Return to Forum