big heal for disc pvp

Priest
*He has a different opinion, he must be trolling*

Well, the idea that disc is pretty underpowered is widespread enough to be held by the vast majority of people with decent game knowledge, (check AJ for example), of all classes, including at this point blizzard themselves (recent interview with Tom Chilton). You're probably the only person with a 2.2k achievement that I've met yet who disagrees with it. The only people I see disagree with it is like a very small number of sub 1500 players who just can't comprehend what class is doing what in PVP.

So the most likely conclusion is you are trolling.
I say it is overpowered because I've only died once when a team trained me. (to be fair I wasn't taking the arena seriously, was laughing around). I can keep everyone on my team alive better than my shaman. We also go OOM faster (I've said this many times before), but it's a nice trade off for powerful heals. I don't go OOM as fast as people say we do, but I don't spam flash heal or bubbles when they are not needed.

I've played my Priest(s) in arena more than any of my other classes by a landslide. Even back in WotLK. I have a good understanding of mechanics, when I can cast, when to use PS and who needs heals, when to get fears out, ect.

So, I believe disc has a high skill cap but is viable (more-so than shamans right now). Sorry if this isn't coherent, only had 3 hours of sleep last night lol.
Obviously I can't know for sure but it feels like you are therefore not playing shaman or your other healers properly :/ I play other healers and then feel really depressed when I go back to disc, and I have less than probably 1% the experience on other healers than I do on disc (this is my most social char on the forums but not my only disc or even my first account).

I honestly don't know where you are finding the high skill cap. I can't think of anything to do that's actually good. Smite costs more mana than it does healing, I still use it, but it feels bad, and I don't think good use of it is as much of a key to being good as it used to be. Our CC hasn't changed much but all other healers got way more so their skill cap from CC has increased while ours stagnated. I don't glyph SW:D any more because I find glyph of penance better in general (could be wrong) so skillcap has dropped there also.

I feel like shamans and hpals, with their casted CC and more offensive options have an increased skill cap. Landing boss capacitor totems, shearing and grounding, predicting and earth shielding swaps (which is presumably still a thing even though on the forums people say it isn't) before you get CC'd, etc... just feels like they have so much more to do to distinguish themselves.
Some guy I am playing with is streaming, you can watch me play there.

http://www.twitch.tv/triangle91
We stopped but Im sure you can rewatch the videos later.

My priest is on Tich horde atm as well, not this one.
You're the guy who posted that '5.1 disc pvp' video or something weren't you? I've seen you play before.

Perhaps if you backed up your claim that disc is OP with something other than "I say disc is OP so it must be," then we might consider what you said as serious and not trolling.

So far, your proof of disc being OP is that you only died once when a team trained you. Grats, your partners understand how to peel, and do so successfully at a lower rating. That doesn't mean that disc is OP.
12/11/2012 10:05 PMPosted by Cybele
I feel like shamans and hpals, with their casted CC and more offensive options have an increased skill cap. Landing boss capacitor totems, shearing and grounding, predicting and earth shielding swaps (which is presumably still a thing even though on the forums people say it isn't) before you get CC'd, etc... just feels like they have so much more to do to distinguish themselves.

I must respectfully disagree with this Cybee, healing as a Disc requires much more effort/spells to get a decent output, because we're so weak the skill-cap so to speak (is there really any skill in wow?) is higher, to heal all these classes use is their instant casts (riptide/ES, shock/wog) and a lot of their clutch abilities (like grounding/capacitor) really aren't as special as Deathing a blind or scatter, or landing a fear on the entire enemy team, especially when there are cheat ways to land them (frost shock nova -> capacitor, for example).

Just my thoughts, of course.
I must respectfully disagree with this Cybee, healing as a Disc requires much more effort/spells to get a decent output, because we're so weak the skill-cap so to speak (is there really any skill in wow?) is higher, to heal all these classes use is their instant casts (riptide/ES, shock/wog) and a lot of their clutch abilities (like grounding/capacitor) really aren't as special as Deathing a blind or scatter, or landing a fear on the entire enemy team, especially when there are cheat ways to land them (frost shock nova -> capacitor, for example).

Just my thoughts, of course.

You are confusing skill cap with skill floor IMO. Disc may require better play to be at an equal level (as you said), but the very best disc isn't as much better as the great-but-not-best disc, as the best shaman vs a great-but-not-best shaman.

Half the discs out there aren't even using glyph of death any more either because they think penance is better for avoiding most CC (like me) or because against the two classes where glyph of death is the most obvious choice (pally and mage for repent and poly), MD is also best. Some other choices and reasons exist ofc (don't wanna ostracise anyones choices :p ).

That's just how I view it, could be wrong. But skill *required* is not skill cap, it's skill floor (by the definitions I have always heard), for the record.
I'm on your server now ha!

Also, your "skill floor" makes it sound like everyone is at this level. Which isn't true, you need to be at a certain skill level to be able to compete as a disc priest in arena. Which is why everyone rolled shadow because you have to "try to hard" to do nearly as much as every other healer. Hence the perception that discs priests suck was born.

Truth is, Disc priests bring a lot of utility with MD, grip, pre shields, PS, fears and damage. But they do not require the braindead ability to interrupt a cast or ground it. (It's not obvious when to go in and fear to many players while sacrificing your position and only using instants as heals OR when to pre-MD a block/bubble or how to use grip).

So yes, again Disc is viable, but many players complain too much because they can't be carried by class mechanics. (You never have to cast as a Hpal if you didn't want to, their instant CC is really easy to put out as well).
I'm on your server now ha!

Also, your "skill floor" makes it sound like everyone is at this level. Which isn't true, you need to be at a certain skill level to be able to compete as a disc priest in arena. Which is why everyone rolled shadow because you have to "try to hard" to do nearly as much as every other healer. Hence the perception that discs priests suck was born.

Truth is, Disc priests bring a lot of utility with MD, grip, pre shields, PS, fears and damage. But they do not require the braindead ability to interrupt a cast or ground it. (It's not obvious when to go in and fear to many players while sacrificing your position and only using instants as heals OR when to pre-MD a block/bubble or how to use grip).

So yes, again Disc is viable, but many players complain too much because they can't be carried by class mechanics. (You never have to cast as a Hpal if you didn't want to, their instant CC is really easy to put out as well).

As usual I have to point out that you can't look at our damage and CC as skill cap raisers any more since they are the lowest of all the healers more or less.

I don't personally find MD and grip and preshields to be that massive skill cap raisers. MD used to be decent but I can't try to preMD any more because if you screw it up you're on cooldown while they sit in an immunity, and it's too expensive to dispel around pillars 99% of the time. A lot of classes have similar mechanics to preshields (prehots for druid and rsham, preshield/beacon for pally).
I, too, have a difficult time agreeing with Priests bringing a lot of utility, as compared to what other healers can now offer. The fun part about playing a Priest in Cata was that they were a whole lot more dynamic than they currently are. Sure, you could probably get by humping a pillar and choosing not to play more aggressively, but that was something that differentiated a good Priest from a bad Priest.

Even if they buff our mana regen and our cooldowns it will never go back to what it was, especially with the recent change to PvP power. Now it just feels more one dimensional than it ever has. Sure, you can try to contribute to dps, but those 7k smites aren't really going to help a whole lot. It was nice being able to make well timed decisions about when you should be healing your teammates and when you should be contributing to their burst when it actually made a significant contribution.

I think it was a step forward that Blizzard chose to give other healers tools that allowed them to be more than just healing turrets, but I dislike that Priests were always the ones that were the most capable of being the aggressive healers and now we feel a whole lot less strong in that aspect in MoP.