Are MMOs dying?

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Post Limit:
1 2 3 25 Next
Just read an article on XFire showing WoW's hours played down on the weekend 70% this year.

Even the numbers since MoP are down nearly 50% (from over 60,000 for a Sunday to closer to 30,000).

SWTOR and GW2 are both down more than 80%.

Are MMOs just done?
Either that, or xfire is.
12/10/2012 03:24 AMPosted by Dliver

Oh god people still play SWTOR? And GW2 is not a Sub MMO you can pick it up any time you like.
12/10/2012 03:28 AMPosted by Trickyrick
Either that, or xfire is.

I'm going to take a guess with this, I hardly hear about xfire anymore.
I'd say XFire is what's done.

People still use that? Yeesh.
doesn't matter if we play less as long as we pay the fee
The hell is Xfire?

Oh god people still play SWTOR? And GW2 is not a Sub MMO you can pick it up any time you like.

So then why aren't they picking it up more, not less?

The figures I saw showed 100,000 hours in the summer to 18,000 now.

Now granted there's a fade factor, but given that even MoP has gone from 60,000 to 30,000 since launch it's not encouraging. Even Cata had far more average weekend users, on XFire at least, at any point this year.

It could just be XFire of course, but then wouldn't we need to see other evidence to suggest it's become 80% less popular just among MMO users in the past year?
12/10/2012 03:33 AMPosted by Dliver

So then why aren't they picking it up more, not less?

The figures I saw showed 100,000 hours in the summer to 18,000 now.

Now granted there's a fade factor, but given that even MoP has gone from 60,000 to 30,000 since launch it's not encouraging. Even Cata had far more average weekend users, on XFire at least, at any point this year.
Where are these numbers you are pulling from first of all?

Second of all, I have Skyrim but I only play it when I want to not all the time, I mainly stick to wow.
Perhaps it's because of the season? You say everything has gone down from the summer, well it's almost Christmas! It's finals time! People arent playing much right now, they're busy! In the summer, they dont have anything to do, of course they're playing MMOs more!

Also:
12/10/2012 03:33 AMPosted by Ryooki
The hell is Xfire?
12/10/2012 03:33 AMPosted by Ryooki
The hell is Xfire?
I heard everyone who plays online games also runs XFire.
Maybe it's because it's the weekend and people are doing other things.
Well, in my case it's because I don't have much time since I have to work two jobs just to get by. Most of the rest of the time I spend doing basic things like eating and sleeping and doing laundry and whatnot.
What the heck is xfire?
idk, but right now MMOs are losing my interest
It does seem as if the genre has had its day. We've kind of gotten away from the point where families were doing interventions on addicted players and talk shows had it as a topic of discussion. Which that isn't such a bad thing I suppose... but whether it means less addicted players or that people are more accepting of MMO gaming these days I don't know.
I think for GW2, since it's free to play, players don't feel forced to play all the time; they can play whenever they feel like it.

In my opinion, for MOP, I think the throttling of progression has caused some players to give up. Mainly though, I think the bloom is off the rose. Numbers are always higher at the launch of a new expac.

Edited to add: I do see a shift in that players have a lot less patience for grinding and slow progression.

Players I personally know are playing alot less often now than at launch of both games. Will they continue this decline until they don't play at all anymore? Time will tell.