Cdev Q&A- What happened?

Story Forum
Whatever happened to this? It was a great way for the community to learn more about the background of WoW as well as tie up any lose plot ends or clarify any confusion. Right now, the Starcraft 2 boys have a rather regular (weekly almost) one going, which is doing somewhat well in clarifying the SC2 story. It'd be nice to see something like this for WoW. Hell, I know I have a few questions to ask.
Cdev takes months to pick 30 questions out of 300 and mostly give us 'well we can't tell you about this yet' answers, I mean I'm all for them but they're a bit romanticized.
Still, there are many things that the Cdevs answered. Main thing is that it could possibly tie up some of the loose ends that are around WoW. For example, my burning question is whether the Order of the Silver Hand still exist as an Alliance Loyal aligned Organization, or if it is now entirely defunct after the formation of the Argent Crusade.
12/10/2012 09:21 AMPosted by Arieus
For example, my burning question is whether the Order of the Silver Hand still exist as an Alliance Loyal aligned Organization, or if it is now entirely defunct after the formation of the Argent Crusade.

Asked last time, got passed over despite the fact that it fell into the criteria of questions they could answer.
A lot of things were passed over. Sometimes for non-answers.
Honestly I'd rather Blizzard just stop doing Ask CDev entirely.

It takes them way too long just to come out and say "Okay, we're not going to spoil any future developments for you, so we'll just answer some stuff we answered from the last Q&A again and tell you a couple new things that we're just going to make up on the spot because really we haven't thought about it too much ourselves".

Realistically, Ask CDev's shouldn't even be necessary either. This stuff shouldn't be so damn ambiguous when it's revealed in-game or in books.

Alas, I would say it wasn't really until Cataclysm(or MoP) that Blizzard actually became "competent" with telling story in WoW. And that only means so much when they did such a horrible job in vanilla/tbc/WoTLK that people still scratch their heads about a lot of things. Or worse, they interpret certain facets of the lore in such crazy ways that it obviously doesn't jive with Blizzard's mind set.
The Lore didn't get touched up a notch until Wrath of the Lich King. Why it took them so long.....I have no idea.
WoTLK still had bad story telling. It just didn't seem so noticeable because the art team did an amazing job with the environments, and those told a great story on their own.

But the actual writing was horrible. This was the time when Garrosh became a huge jackass and no one was sure why. The Horde also took ambiguity to such a high level with their new architecture/themes it was utterly ridiculous.

About the only good things the writers got out of WoTLK was quest phasing. And even then, it was obvious in the quest design that they didn't actually get that tech put in until Dragonblight questing. And it wasn't until Cataclysm that they learned to do stuff like environment/object phasing, which they over-used.
I felt they went about the Argent Crusade the wrong way. The Argent Crusade should have been a temporary Alliance between the Blood Knights and the Order of the Silver Hand, mediated and overseen by the Argent Dawn. This would have kept the Silver Hand as an Alliance Specific organization, while at the same time given the Blood Elves some spotlight.
WoTLK still had bad story telling. It just didn't seem so noticeable because the art team did an amazing job with the environments, and those told a great story on their own.

But the actual writing was horrible. This was the time when Garrosh became a huge jackass and no one was sure why. The Horde also took ambiguity to such a high level with their new architecture/themes it was utterly ridiculous.

About the only good things the writers got out of WoTLK was quest phasing. And even then, it was obvious in the quest design that they didn't actually get that tech put in until Dragonblight questing. And it wasn't until Cataclysm that they learned to do stuff like environment/object phasing, which they over-used.

Then you'll have to learn to be disagreed with. I love the way it all went through. I thought it was very awesome and one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had. Only issue I had was "Always must be a Lich King."

Oh and I wanted closure with some of the Death Knights after Arthas' death, Muradin,

Varian got no closure(COME ON)

Then you'll have to learn to be disagreed with. I love the way it all went through. I thought it was very awesome and one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had. Only issue I had was "Always must be a Lich King."

Pretty much... What's keeping Bolvar from getting all the Undead out in the open, have them bombed to oblivion, then letting himself being destroyed for good? Doesn't that sound more appealing than being forever the jailor of the damned?

Pretty much... What's keeping Bolvar from getting all the Undead out in the open, have them bombed to oblivion, then letting himself being destroyed for good? Doesn't that sound more appealing than being forever the jailor of the damned?

I prefer destroying the Helm of Dominion and when that happens a big explosion covers all of Icecrown/Northrend making all Undead(Excluding Forsaken) keel over. All the other Undead not connected to the Lich King(Ebon Blade, and Forsaken above) aren't affected and thus the Scourge is destroyed...utterly.

Bolvar ends up dead being unable to handle the soul torturing.
Why would the helm's destruction cause an UNdead-destroying explosion? 0_o
12/10/2012 01:09 PMPosted by Resileaf
Why would the helm's destruction cause an UNdead-destroying explosion? 0_o

It has all the power of the Lich King inside and all the Undead connected to it would feel the severing of that connection and thus cause almost a continent wide explosion. You could see it but it's kind of like fireworks. It's a lightshow and doesn't hurt it unless you were under the Lich King's control.

Plus it was an idea in my head during Fall of the Lich King due to me not knowing what would happen at the end and I wrote a little short story doing a sad little rip off of Arthas' storyline and the end of what happens for a writing class in High School.

I now facepalm that I ...kind of ripped of the Lich King >.>

Oh and I wanted closure with some of the Death Knights after Arthas' death, Muradin,

You need to start providing more back up other than "I LIKED IT SO THERE!" if you're going to pull that card.

He had a point. I liked Wrath too, but when you really analyze the storytelling, it was pretty bad.
I liked fighting the Scourge, encountering Arthas. I honestly considered the fact I lived as luck or a blessing. I just felt... very immersed in Northrend fighting the Scourge. I'm not sure how much more I can say Virsago.

The Storytelling wasn't as bad as you guys made it out to be.
12/10/2012 12:57 PMPosted by Resileaf
What's keeping Bolvar from getting all the Undead out in the open, have them bombed to oblivion, then letting himself being destroyed for good? Doesn't that sound more appealing than being forever the jailor of the damned?

Bolvar may not have that much control yet. Just keeping the vast hordes of mindless dead dormant might be taking all of his concentration.

12/10/2012 01:12 PMPosted by Valius
It has all the power of the Lich King inside and all the Undead connected to it would feel the severing of that connection and thus cause almost a continent wide explosion.

We've seen what happens when the connection between the Lich King and his minions is severed: they regain control over themselves. If the loss of that connection caused them to explode or fall apart, the Forsaken and Ebon Blade wouldn't have come into existence in the first place.

12/10/2012 01:37 PMPosted by Valius

I think the story was pretty good, but the way that story was told could have been handled a bit better.

We still get people asking "What made Garrosh hate the Alliance?" or "What happened to Ner'zhul?" or "Why was Arthas holding back?" or "Why did we need a new Lich King?". All those questions had answers, but they were mostly found in novels or comics or interviews, not within WoW itself.

I'm fine with being disagreed with.

It just so happens I know you have low standards o_O
I'm fine with being disagreed with.

It just so happens I know you have low standards o_O

No my standards are just fine Draile and thanks for that insult. I never say you have crappy standards did I? I just don't criticize every little thing and foam at the mouth.

We still get people asking "What made Garrosh hate the Alliance?" or "What happened to Ner'zhul?" or "Why was Arthas holding back?" or "Why did we need a new Lich King?". All those questions had answers, but they were mostly found in novels or comics or interviews, not within WoW itself.

Very fair questions but...I didn't think much of Garrosh, if that was who he was...then so be it.
I liked fighting the Scourge, encountering Arthas. I honestly considered the fact I lived as luck or a blessing. I just felt... very immersed in Northrend fighting the Scourge. I'm not sure how much more I can say Virsago.

Specifically? The Storm Peaks made no sense. It was entirely out of place. Think about it from a 3rd Person Limited point of view. We know about the Lich King. We know very very little about the Old Gods or the Titans. Why would we devote resources to a full-blown expedition when we know we have the Lich King barrelling down on us from Icecrown?

Does Grizzly Hills take place before or after the Wrathgate? Because you can go to the zone before you do the Wrathgate questline at all. If so, why did the Alliance act so surprised (Alliance see: Jaina) that the Horde wouldn't have it's people under control? What the hell happened the the vrykul? The farther you go inland, the weaker they seem to get? Ymirjar should've had an awesome questline to it, but it was pretty much ignored. The only cool thing was the Shadowvault questline and the Heart of Arthas questline.

Don't get me started on Scholazar Basin. It looked gorgeous, but my lord was it out of place.

I'm asking for specific analytics, not opinions. I loved the story to Wrath, but no because it was good. I loved it because I wanted to learn more about the Lich King, which I did, and I can say is probably the best part of the whole expansion, and something they failed to do in Cataclysm.