Agility on Plate Armor

Paladin
About when I hit level 58 I started seeing that plate has agility. Is agility any help or hindrance to a tank Pally?
Shouldn't affect you in the least other than to give a very tiny amount of crit. Left on old plate from old gearing mentalities.
The agility plates from Hellfire Ramparts and up are great for tanking. I think they're the first plates with sockets. I think the agility is a throwback from when dks needed it.
12/11/2012 04:10 PMPosted by Invincible
The agility plates from Hellfire Ramparts and up are great for tanking. I think they're the first plates with sockets. I think the agility is a throwback from when dks needed it.

Agility plate existed before DKs did.
Relics of days long gone

When the only way to get Crit was agi, and stats wernt as streamlined.
Glad to know they're OK. I was gonna start freaking out on where I would get gear otherwise. O_o

Thanks for the info! Happy Warcrafting!
Glad to know they're OK. I was gonna start freaking out on where I would get gear otherwise. O_o

Thanks for the info! Happy Warcrafting!

As long as it has strength and stam on it as well, which I think pretty much all of those do, your fine.

Just try to steer clear of the ones with no primary stats at all that start showing up in late BC and early LK, those were around before primary stats were the godly things they are, and are supremely terrible. Strength/stam---------------everything else in that range.
The mechanics of the game changed over the years and blizzard just left the items as they were (even when they made the stats on some pieces useless).

From vanilla to cataclysm, agility had an affect on plate classes. The stat increased dodge and crit. It acted as a reasonable hybrid stat on plate while leveling since it could be used for either.

When the MOP patch came, they removed all benefits from agility. It no longer boosts anything for plate classes, and in return they changed the base chance to crit (from 3%-5%) and made strength add parry rating to all plate classes.

Also keep in mind that if you tank and are not using an heirloom one hander, you will want to use the slow dps weapons since the old tank weapons were designed when tanks wanted fast swing times (they are now punished damage wise for fast swings).
12/11/2012 04:13 PMPosted by Grôgnárd
Agility plate existed before DKs did.

This.
Agility used to grant armor, right? I think I remember hearing that when I first started playing
Best thing to do if you want to know if agility has any use for you is to open your character sheet in-game and mouse-over Agility under your character stats. It should tell you that it "Increases Critical Hit chance by N%."

However, if you start thinking, "I should stack Agility then since it gives me more crit", you can do a filter on Wowhead.com and see that there is no gear added in MoP that is plate and has Agility (http://www.wowhead.com/items=4.4?filter=cr=166:21;crs=5:1;crv=0:0).

Plate wearers in MoP get plenty of crit primarily from +crit rating stats on their armor and from gemming or reforging stats that are lower priority for crit, depending on the class, spec, and gameplay role being dealt with.
Agility is useless to us nowadays, but back in TBC paladins liked it alot more cause of benefits it had back then. I didnt play in TBC but I've heard this from multiple sources
The only benefits it had for Ret in TBC was increasing your armor slightly, increasing your crit (if I recall correctly), possibly increasing your chance to dodge slightly, and increasing your attack power on a 1:1 ratio.

Since strength, even back then, gave us a 2:1 attack power ratio, and there was plenty more plate gear with strength and crit rating, and Ret Paladins shouldn't care about extra armor and dodge (to the point of intentionally gearing for it, at least) no Ret Paladin should have been going after Agility, even in TBC. I think the only time a Ret Paladin could ever have wanted Agility would have been in Vanilla and I doubt it was even the case then. I believe back then they were stacking intellect, attack power, and spell power (but I could be wrong there, I started playing in TBC).
Yeah, it's like my character's belt: Tenacious Defender. I don't think there's a better plate belt I can get at this level, and overall it is great, but the agility is virtually useless. But, whatever. It doesn't make you worse.

Outland is weird that way, probably because it's the least changed of the areas since the Cata/MoP "clean up" they did.
12/11/2012 07:45 PMPosted by Estherica
When the MOP patch came, they removed all benefits from agility. It no longer boosts anything for plate classes, and in return they changed the base chance to crit (from 3%-5%) and made strength add parry rating to all plate classes.

Agility still boosts crit, and the base crit chance has always been 5%. It was armor and dodge that were removed from agility for plate classes.

12/12/2012 06:37 AMPosted by Drenak
The only benefits it had for Ret in TBC was increasing your armor slightly, increasing your crit (if I recall correctly), possibly increasing your chance to dodge slightly, and increasing your attack power on a 1:1 ratio.

Agility never gave plate classes attack power (not melee attack power, at least--I have no idea if it affected ranged attack power).
Just dropped a Temple Girdle of the Tiger.... LoL..... so they still are dropping agi on plate.
Before stats were given a second look, plate tanks needed some Agility because it provided extra dodge chance, as well as some AP. It also increased crit chance, I believe.

This was back in BC and vanilla. I believe this got redone either right before, or on the release of Wrath.
Agility never gave melee AP for str classes, only for agi classes.

It did give crit, dodge, and a bit of armor, though. It wasn't as good as actual crit rating - IIRC, a level 60 needed 20 agi to get 1% crit, compared to 14 crit rating - but it did have some value.

And then they eventually revamped stats so that paladins/warriors/DKs would stop wearing agi gear, but forgot to change all the old gear :p
Just dropped a Temple Girdle of the Tiger.... LoL..... so they still are dropping agi on plate.

Randomly-assigned stats are randomly-assigned. :P