Pet Abilities and Action Bar Confusion

Hunter
Post Limit:
After receiving a couple of automated whispers in Dire Maul - eg "bad pet for using thunderstomp", I opened the spell book, located the offending ability, and turned it off, which I should have checked beforehand.

Then I discovered Last Stand.

Given that neither Thunderstomp or Last Stand are passive abilities, I'm wondering why they can't be put on the pet action bar to make them more immediately accessible, particularly in emergency situations - like in an instance, where it's all systems go, the tank's racing through everything as though the devil's after him, and there isn't time to rummage through the spell book?

Or is it just me?
/cast Last Stand

and

/cast Thunderstomp

As a hunter macros are going to be your best friend.
You can drag them into the pet bar <.<..Im not sure what the problem is here.
You can drag them into the pet bar <.<..Im not sure what the problem is here.

That's what I mean; I can't drag them onto the pet action bar - perhaps something glitchy happening?
Are you trying to do this while mounted? You an make changes to the pet bar while mounted, but they do not persist so any changes made are wiped immediately after you dismount.

Another thing to consider is if you have your bars locked.

Secondly, it is free and easy to swap pet specs, so you should always use a Ferocity spec when you are in a dungeon.
12/12/2012 03:58 AMPosted by Mørganá
"bad pet for using thunderstomp"

1) You should probably just spec the pet Ferocity but....if it isn't growling, there is nothing wrong with it thunderstomping. Thunderstomp isn't a taunt, it is mild damage with some mild bonus threat. If a tank can't out-aggro it, then the tank can't out-aggro a DPS doing AOE damage, and it is a bad (or ill-equipped due to lack of abilities) tank.

2) You can drag out pet abilities. Personally, I keep only growl out on my bars out of the auto-cast abilities, the rest of the slots are for whatever manual click ones I need. If it isn't letting you do this, when OOC, and not mounted, sounds like an addon interaction.
Are you trying to do this while mounted? You can make changes to the pet bar while mounted, but they do not persist, so any changes made are wiped immediately after you dismount.

OMG, thank you for posting this! Even two years later it has been helpful. I just spent the last hour trying to figure out why my spells on my pet action bar were not staying and sure enough, after I read your post, I looked to see what my toon was doing and he was mounted. I quickly dismounted him and, voila, all changes to my pet's action bar have stayed put. I highly recommend to anyone having similar issues, to follow this very simple instruction and ensure that you are dismounted prior to attempting to move your spells around on the pet action bar.
Don't listen to those haters.. Thunderstomp is fine to use while in a dungeon H Scen whatever even a raid although you should be specc'ed ferocity for a raid. Growl is not good to have on during those but Thunderstomp is fine.. Last Stand is a powerful CD you need on your pet action bar.. Thunderstomp i would just leave on Auto-cast however unless you are into micro managing..