Heirlooms

New Player Help and Guides
Why aren't they actually Bind on ACCOUNT? When I try to send some heirlooms to a character on a different server it says something like couldn't find Mail receipt. It says bind on ACCOUNT so why couldn't we send it across server to me own ACCOUNT characters?
It's a confusing limitation. They're working on finding a way to make them truly account bound, but no ETA on completion.
They ARE bound to your account. You can use the items on any character you want, however actually getting them to your characters on other servers without a costly character transfer isn't possible. It seems easy to mail things across servers on paper, but it's actually very difficult because of how the game was originally structured. The devs have been working it for a long while now.
So maybe they should add...

I believe that blizz should add a tab on the mailbox that says "Account" on the tab. When people mail heirlooms to other characters on your account you could just go to the Account tab and retrieve it there if Blizz dosen't want any communication across servers. So only your characters can retrieve it since it's on the account tab and not on the general tab where people send mail etc.
12/11/2012 06:23 PMPosted by Toralo
Why aren't they actually Bind on ACCOUNT? When I try to send some heirlooms to a character on a different server it says something like couldn't find Mail receipt. It says bind on ACCOUNT so why couldn't we send it across server to me own ACCOUNT characters?

It's not a limitation of the items, it's a limitation of the in-game mail service. If Blizzard ever figures out the technical conundrum that's posed by cross-server mail, then the BoA's will go across just fine.

You can get around such limitations by giving the heirlooms you want to transfer to a character on the same server, then using the paid-transfer service to move the character to the other realm. Currently that's the only way to get heirlooms to another server.
You can get around such limitations by giving the heirlooms you want to transfer to a character on the same server, then using the paid-transfer service to move the character to the other realm. Currently that's the only way to get heirlooms to another server.

That's the problem. No one's going to pay money to go to a different server and then transfer back just to give some heirlooms to a character on a different server.
12/11/2012 06:28 PMPosted by Toralo
I believe that blizz should add a tab on the mailbox that says "Account" on the tab. When people mail heirlooms to other characters on your account you could just go to the Account tab and retrieve it there if Blizz dosen't want any communication across servers.

It's not that Blizzard doesn't want to do it, it's that they CAN'T do it. The mail system, the way it is now, is set up that every server is entirely independant and completely separate.

Making a special tab on the mailbox won't solve the issue that the mail system on one server CANNOT interact with the mail system on another server.
That suggestion has been made before. It's not new.

Suggestions also don't belong in this forum - devs don't come here. Post it in the General Discussion forum, though like I said before it's not a novel idea so I doubt it'll get much of a response.

12/11/2012 06:35 PMPosted by Toralo
No one's going to pay money to go to a different server and then transfer back just to give some heirlooms to a character on a different server.

Speak for yourself. I've done this three times.
So maybe they should add...

I believe that blizz should add a tab on the mailbox that says "Account" on the tab. When people mail heirlooms to other characters on your account you could just go to the Account tab and retrieve it there if Blizz dosen't want any communication across servers. So only your characters can retrieve it since it's on the account tab and not on the general tab where people send mail etc.

If it were that easy to implement, they probably would have done it by now.

It's something they've been working on, but they aren't sure when they will be able to come up with a good system for getting it to work. As mentioned, the mail system does not work between servers. Heck, you can't even TRADE items between two characters on different servers unless they were BoP items in a dungeon (that still have a timer on them) or conjured items (mage food, warlock healthstones, etc).

It's probably pretty complicated to figure out how to allow items to be moved between your own characters (without using a mailbox, which is the only way to move items between your own characters on the same account) and between servers (which is only possible under very specific circumstances and requires character-to-character trading in an instanced group) without breaking a ton of other stuff in the process.

Until it is figured out, the only way to get heirlooms to another server is to character transfer. :(
That's the problem. No one's going to pay money to go to a different server and then transfer back just to give some heirlooms to a character on a different server.

You don't need to transfer twice. Make the new character you want on the current realm, level it up to 10 real quick so it's eligible for transfer, give it the items (and gold and bags if it's on the same faction), then transfer it to the realm you wanted it on.

Oh, and people do it all the time. For some, having their heirlooms on the new server is worth the $25 fee, for everyone else, they just do without the heirlooms for the first character on a new server.
12/11/2012 06:37 PMPosted by Icedragon
Suggestions also don't belong in this forum - devs don't come here. Post it in the General Discussion forum

Yes, I know about the General Discussion but was trying to make a point.
No one's going to pay money to go to a different server and then transfer back just to give some heirlooms to a character on a different server.

You don't have to transfer back. You make a "mule," a throw away character. Zip them up to level 20, load them up with as much gear, gold, and inventory as you can and ship them off. They either have a new home or they get deleted once stripped of the goodies.

Edit: Avanna types faster. =( And I've done this once or twice. Know several more that do it when they want to branch out.
12/11/2012 06:38 PMPosted by Avanna
You don't need to transfer twice. Make the new character you want on the current realm, level it up to 10 real quick so it's eligible for transfer, give it the items (and gold and bags if it's on the same faction), then transfer it to the realm you wanted it on.

Still...I mean who would want to pay extra just for a quick heirloom transfer? I'd rather sit and wait patiently for blizz to actually find a way to send heirlooms across servers.
12/11/2012 06:41 PMPosted by Toralo
Still...I mean who would want to pay extra just for a quick heirloom transfer? I'd rather sit and wait patiently for blizz to actually find a way to send heirlooms across servers.

Get comfy. Heirlooms were introduced in Wrath. We've been waiting since then.
12/11/2012 06:43 PMPosted by Aríoch
Get comfy. Heirlooms were introduced in Wrath. We've been waiting since then.

I guess you're right. Mind as well for blizz to change the "Bind on Account" to "Bind on Server-Account".

I shall wait so I can finally send in neat RP arch gear.
12/11/2012 06:41 PMPosted by Toralo

Well, then you'll potentially be waiting until Blizzard declares WoW as no longer viable and shuts the servers down for good (that's at least 6 years out). That's a long time to go without ever leveling another character but still having an active account.

My suggestion: level without the heirlooms, or pay the transfer. Those are your only two options right now. Or, you can stick your feet in the mud and say "I'm never leveling another character until Blizzard releases this impossible feature."
12/11/2012 06:39 PMPosted by Toralo
Suggestions also don't belong in this forum - devs don't come here. Post it in the General Discussion forum

Yes, I know about the General Discussion but was trying to make a point.

A point to who? The 10-15 regulars who post here? Or the new players asking about how to move around the map and what gear to use?
12/11/2012 06:45 PMPosted by Avanna
level without the heirlooms

Actually I have. I'm leveling a pandaren monk almost level 83. I been leveling slowly but I really want to get to 90 faster. Just wanted to get a faster boost instead of the Enlightenment buff that only lasts 1 hour.
12/11/2012 06:45 PMPosted by Avanna
Those are your only two options right now.

You can kind of squeeze a third option out... roll a DK on the new server, level that to end game to earn heirlooms and then roll the new character. If you make the DK with dual-gathering professions you'll even have a nice nest egg of gold or a pile of mats.

You'll still be leveling without heirlooms, but 55-90 is faster than 1-90. And I think you can even buy them with Darkmoom Faire tickets, so you may not even have to take the DK all the way up to end game.
12/11/2012 06:49 PMPosted by Toralo
I'm leveling a pandaren monk almost level 83. I been leveling slowly but I really want to get to 90 faster. Just wanted to get a faster boost instead of the Enlightenment buff that only lasts 1 hour.

With the exception of the cloaks, helms, and pants the XP benefit stops at level 80. If you're trying to use them on a level 83, you'll get nothing.

The cloaks, helms, and pants last until 85. You would only get 2 levels of use.

The cloaks are available if you are Honored with a level 10 guild.
The helms are available if you are Honored with a level 20 guild.
The legs are available if your guild has achieved Working Better as a Team.

Since those three come from the guild, you wouldn't need to transfer anything.