Low FPS/performance problems since MoP Patch

Mac Technical Support
Post Limit:
Hello, I have had really poor performance/low fps on my mac since MoP patch came out. Here are the details. I would like to state that I have re-installed my operating system, done an SMC reset, reset the permissions, un-installed and re-installed WoW about 5 times, deleted Cache/WTF folders, Ran with no addons, ran with addons. Pretty much every trouble-shooting possibility that you guys have given me, I have tried about 5-10 times each. Before the MoP patch, I was able to run the game on high settings with the fps capped at 30 with no problems during any type of content (25-man raids, running through crowded cities, etc.). Now, if I run it at anything about low on every setting, I get roughly 5-10 fps even just walking around a non-crowded area. But I am making a new thread about my performance issue as you have requested on the previous thread.

Here are some more details about the problem and my computer specs.

1. Sept. 25th, 2012
2. All modes.
3. 10-15 fps
4. Immediately
5. Yes
SET readTOS "1"
SET readEULA "1"
SET readScanning "-1"
SET readContest "-1"
SET locale "enUS"
SET showToolsUI "1"
SET accounttype "MP"
SET readTerminationWithoutNotice "-1"
SET installType "Retail"
SET installLocale "enUS"
SET enterWorld "1"
SET maxFPS "30"
SET hwDetect "0"
SET videoOptionsVersion "5"
SET gxApi "GLL"
SET gxWindow "0"
SET gxMaximize "0"
SET graphicsQuality "4"
SET accountName
SET mouseSpeed "1"
SET Gamma "0.800000"
SET ChatMusicVolume "0.29999998211861"
SET ChatSoundVolume "0.39999997615814"
SET ChatAmbienceVolume "0.29999998211861"
SET VoiceActivationSensitivity "0.39999997615814"
SET Sound_EnableAllSound "0"
SET Sound_MusicVolume "0.40000000596046"
SET Sound_AmbienceVolume "0.60000002384186"
SET farclip "800"
SET particleDensity "40"
SET rippleDetail "1"
SET reflectionMode "0"
SET groundEffectDensity "40"
SET groundEffectDist "110"
SET environmentDetail "75"
SET projectedTextures "1"
SET shadowTextureSize "2048"
SET SSAOBlur "1"
SET terrainLodDist "450"
SET wmoLodDist "400"
SET terrainTextureLod "1"
SET realmName "Bleeding Hollow"
SET gameTip "145"
SET ffxGlow "0"
SET ffxDeath "0"
SET repositionfrequency "0"
SET weatherDensity "1"
SET terrainMipLevel "1"
SET worldBaseMip "1"
SET g_accountUsesToken "1"

7. I've tried playing on both the 32-bit and 64-bit client.

Finally, please post your system information here.

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0
Time since boot: 1 day22:14

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F
SMC Version (system): 1.71f22

Graphics/Displays:

AMD Radeon HD 6750M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6741
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C2950H-170
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.544
Displays:
iMac:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI
Unfortunately this is occurring across the board with everyone. I have tested on three systems (2 x Apple, 1 x Windows).

Before the patch, they were running between 40 to well over 100 fps. Very acceptable.

They're all running 30 fps at best now, with the fps dropping to between 3 to 15 fps.
Unacceptable.

Given that I have have varying hardware, OS versions and the performance is so poor immediately after MoP, suggests it's a problem Blizzard needs to rectify immediately.

Seems Blizzard doesn't really care though.
I've run this game since the beginning and I've progressed through many hardware upgrades. But performance has never been this poor.
Lets remember to keep threads constructive. Making posts constructive and with-in community guidelines will help you get better assistance, and does not derail threads from the original issue at hand.

As I mention in other posts, we're investigating all these reports, and will need to reproduce issues before the appropriate teams can perform action items. I understand things these things can be frustrating, and I apologize for that experience :( Technical Support isn't development, as we don't work directly on the game itself.

The sticky that was tracking is being reviewed, but since this is a new patch, we also needed to try to get a newer perspective and see if newer issues are arising.

I hope this sheds a little light on the subject. We're still looking at additional troubleshooting and sending feedback up to the appropriate teams for review.
bumping thread to pray for a response and fix.. this problem has been ongoing for almost four months now, blizzard.. If you want my subscription payments, fix it.. I'm cancelling my account until this is fixed.
Bumping this thread to add another voice heard. I've been playing WoW on a Macbook (Powerbook, back in the day) since the original Beta.

I have a new Retina Display 15" Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM and the fastest graphics card available. I've verified that my machine is running on the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics card (high performance graphics mode) while WoW is running.

Up until last night WoW was running perfectly smoothly. Easily 30FPS on "High" settings. Not running 2880x1800 but even when I tried it a few times it ran over 20FPS on "High" settings.

It seems that overnight something changed and now I can't get it to run more than 13 or 14FPS on "Fair" settings. I've tried deleting caches and WTF folder. I disabled all of my addons. Nothing seems to impact it.

Also, I would normally hear the fans in my computer spin up to keep things cool. They're not firing up.

I'm hoping this is related to the game client and not my hardware. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to be sure.
Yup.

Can't be sure when the issue popped up or what in particular it might be linked to -- but it is new, certainly two weeks or less.

FPS bounces between nine and twelve or so and plummets to three at times, no matter where I am / what I am doing. Never had the problem in the past. Not once, anywhere.

It is frustrating, at best.
I've been dealing with the FPS spikes since the release of Mists. Like the OP of this thread, I've done just about everything customer service has recommended including reinstalling the game client.

The FPS problems has really seriously deterred any type of serious play for me and it's been VERY frustrating.

@Machkhan are there other constructive feedback venues or tools that the developers would find useful to help identify the problem?
I've finally caved in and switched to playing on my cheap, bare bones Windows 7 laptop. This sucks because the screen is so much smaller and the sound sucks, and I have to set the laptop on a stack of thick books (and use a separate keyboard) to boost the display up to eye level like my iMac's display (I hate staring down at my screen).

But those things are offset by the fact that I'm back to seeing 30-60 FPS instead of the 10-17 I'd been seeing in Pandaria on my iMac. I was actually able to complete that Survival Ring: Blades quest for the first time ever. Previously, the low framerate was making it impossible. On top of that, I actually seem to be killing things faster, which leads me to suspect that the low frame rates were affecting my UI to the point that it wasn't visually keeping up with my ability cool downs — that is, cooldowns were up, but there was a delay in the UI telling me so, so I was hitting things late.
If you weren't filthy Ally scum, I'd sympathize with you.

Still, the problem persists.
I play both sides :)
Lets remember to keep threads constructive. Making posts constructive and with-in community guidelines will help you get better assistance, and does not derail threads from the original issue at hand.

Not really sure how my post doesn't follow forum guidelines as I was not being rude and simply repeating the fact that I have this problem.

As I mention in other posts, we're investigating all these reports, and will need to reproduce issues before the appropriate teams can perform action items. I understand things these things can be frustrating, and I apologize for that experience :( Technical Support isn't development, as we don't work directly on the game itself.

I completely understand that there are different sections of the blizzard team and that the people who answer the forums aren't always the ones who are able to find a solution to the problem at hand, but what I don't understand is why there hasn't been more communication between the two groups, development and technical support. It gets a little old after roughly four months when the answer from everyone starts to become "I'm sorry but that's not my department's job and we're waiting for a response from department X." Can someone please figure out what the actual status is on this problem? It's one thing if a problem has only been around for about a week or two, but we are starting to move towards having this thing become the normal play performance for almost a half of a year. Not to be rude, but its really unacceptable that this problem has been around for so long with no progress or updates from technical support on its status. I mean, this problem has even gotten less and less attention from Blizzard as the months go on, as there used to be a sticky about it on the forum, and now that sticky is gone. Why remove the sticky if the problem hadn't been fixed yet?
At first I thought it was my computer having problems, since WoW can be a resource hog. But this has been going on for a while now, at certain points the screen and the sound just bog down.

Also, it seems to be worse if my computer has been running for a long time, it gets better, but does not totally go away after I reboot.

Also, I work on computers, and have a customer in Florida that was working fine, now it's almost unusable. I've cleaned up what I could and changed program changes, nothing seems to help.

I eagerly await BLIZZARD finding the solution to this. I understand and agree with the person who earlier was canceling his prescription, and I understand that it might take time to fix. Please don't take forever fixing this one.
The game is effectively unplayable at the moment.

I'll need to pack my account in mothballs, if no fix is coming.
I am having same issue, I have reset routers, modems, done scans, updated my computer and its hardware and nothing is helping at ALL. I was running 45fps and lat on both world and home was 89/90 all settings on high and add ons, now on high I get 9fps, I had to set it fair and at most I get it to 30 at times but never in PvP or in twns it then drops to 20 or lower, and lat will increase as well. This is ridiculous, when FPS gets so low I literally can not play as the screen gives me a headache ;( please please fix this, it is apparent that it's across the board to me now and not my hardware or net speed, I won't be playing unless it gets better. I understand that Tech support is just that and not the people who actually work on the game. This just really really sucks as I just started playing not long ago again only to have this go on? Dude lol FIX IT BLIZZARD I WANNA RUN WITH MY PEEPS ;) ok I feel better ;) have a happy New Year everyone!
This has now happened to me as well. Although it's strange that it didn't happen to me until much later than most people here. Started 2 days ago for me, and persists until now. 5-10 fps instead of 30+ fps :/ Playing Arena is impossible at this state.
Same issue. Hopefully Blizzard to prepared to lose a LOT of customers. As to the response by the forum support agent, absolutely sickening and goes to show why these problems arise and persist for so long. BYE WOW! Was fun while it lasted. Thank you for using my money to ruin the game I love.
Hi all,

I apologize about not hearing back about this. I know that it can be frustrating, so I wanted to follow up with the information I do have from a technical support standpoint.

I think the issue is that the issue cannot be recreated to be able to address it. Blind fixes is something that cannot be done, as it may affect other things. From feedback from the team, we've only seen low performance issues due to:

• A post 10.8.2 EFI update seems to be causing low performance. Resetting the SMC can help resolve this when issues arise. This is something that been filed with Apple.
  • A possible issue with sleeping/waking a Mac (includes closing portable Macs) in some 10.7/10.8 systems. Restarting your Mac can help resolve this. This is something that has been filed with Apple.
  • Overheating due to blocking vents (playing on your portal Mac on soft surfaces, laps, etc), playing warm rooms and etc. View our Overheating Prevention article on what you can do to prevent this.
  • Some Addons that might not be fully optimized, compatible or out of date can cause performance issues. Resetting your UI and playtest with no addons can help determine if this is causing issues.

I will speak with the team again and see what more information we need to gather if this is still happening and you've already tried all items in our World of Warcraft Low Performance article.