The new heirlooms in 5.2.

General Discussion
There are new versions of older heirlooms in the next patch that go to 85 rather than just 80. Are far as I know it has not be revealed how or even if we will be able to obtain them.

I just want to say I hope that there will be some way to upgrade or trade in the older heirlooms for the new ones. I personally don't think it would be nice to make those that have them pay full price (or more) for 5 more levels.
They are probably just updating the old ones.
Hopefully it's just an upgrade to the current heirlooms.
Source?
12/24/2012 12:56 PMPosted by Takki

Not sure yet, they have different names....which implies...different items.

However, it would make very little since not to just update the items.

Looking forward to BoA shields, drool.....
12/24/2012 12:57 PMPosted by Jambi
Source?

Patch 5.2 PTR - Build 16408

Patch 5.2 Soon on PTR!
The patch 5.2 unexpectedly hit Blizzard's servers tonight and should be available on test realms soon, although it wouldn't be surprising if it the PTRs were available to players only after the holidays. Among other things this patch has:

Throne of Thunder is the new 13 boss raid, with the last boss being Heroic Difficulty only.
Warlock will be able to unlock green fire spell effects through the quest line that starts with The Codex of Xerrath.
You can now purchase your farm, where several quality of life improvements have been made.
Wrathion is back once again and will reward you with a new head enchantment, Crown of the Heavens.
There are two new world bosses, both of which will be a more pleasant experience now that anyone from your faction can tag them and everyone will get loot!
The Isle of the Thunder King is the new daily questing zone, with the Kirin-Tor Offensive led by Jaina Proudmoore and the Sunreaver Onslaught led by Lor'themar Theron. Doing quests will unlock the powerful Lightning Forge, which will allow Blacksmiths to forge mighty raid-worthy items, as well as classic weapons from the past. Other features will also be unlocked by your realm's participation in the war effort.
Four new scenarios have also been added. (Unofficially)
New crafted Gladiator gear and heirlooms that scale to level 85 were among the new items added in Patch 5.2.
Additionally, a lot of Season 13 and Tier 15 armor sets are already in the game files!

http://ptr.wowdb.com/items?filter-patch=16408&filter-quality=128
12/24/2012 12:59 PMPosted by Bubblykiss

I can't imagine them making us all buy new heirlooms for just five levels that already go by quickly. :/

That would really suck.
12/24/2012 01:00 PMPosted by Bubblykiss
Source?

Patch 5.2 PTR - Build 16408

Patch 5.2 Soon on PTR!
The patch 5.2 unexpectedly hit Blizzard's servers tonight and should be available on test realms soon, although it wouldn't be surprising if it the PTRs were available to players only after the holidays. Among other things this patch has:

Throne of Thunder is the new 13 boss raid, with the last boss being Heroic Difficulty only.
Warlock will be able to unlock green fire spell effects through the quest line that starts with The Codex of Xerrath.
You can now purchase your farm, where several quality of life improvements have been made.
Wrathion is back once again and will reward you with a new head enchantment, Crown of the Heavens.
There are two new world bosses, both of which will be a more pleasant experience now that anyone from your faction can tag them and everyone will get loot!
The Isle of the Thunder King is the new daily questing zone, with the Kirin-Tor Offensive led by Jaina Proudmoore and the Sunreaver Onslaught led by Lor'themar Theron. Doing quests will unlock the powerful Lightning Forge, which will allow Blacksmiths to forge mighty raid-worthy items, as well as classic weapons from the past. Other features will also be unlocked by your realm's participation in the war effort.
Four new scenarios have also been added. (Unofficially)
New crafted Gladiator gear and heirlooms that scale to level 85 were among the new items added in Patch 5.2.
Additionally, a lot of Season 13 and Tier 15 armor sets are already in the game files!

http://ptr.wowdb.com/items?filter-patch=16408&filter-quality=128

Thanks, I must have completely overlooked that.
12/24/2012 01:00 PMPosted by Takki

I can't imagine them making us all buy new heirlooms for just five levels that already go by quickly. :/

That would really suck.

I do concur. No official word from blizz. On a side note they said 5.2 is coming early January, however, they did not specify the year....lol.....
12/24/2012 01:03 PMPosted by Bubblykiss

That would really suck.

I do concur. No official word from blizz. On a side note they said 5.2 is coming early January, however, they did not specify the year....lol.....

5.2 is going to the PTR early January. I would expect 5.2 to officially come out around March or April.
no one knows.

all that's known for sure is that the 5.2 data files contain heirlooms that scale to 85.

they could be brand new heirlooms, they could replace existing heirlooms, you could have to turn them in and pay a point/gold cost to get them upgraded... no one knows, and it's likely that no one will know until the PTR goes live.

hell, they could not be in the game at all. wouldn't be the first time that blizzard added items to the datafiles that weren't available in-game.
Yeah I know. I remember the pants were added to the files a long time ago, I believe with Cataclysm, but were not available to purchase until Mists.

12/24/2012 12:56 PMPosted by Takki

That would be awesome. Paying for the upgrade at the gear upgrader wouldn't be bad either.
probably just update or use the new upgrade system.
12/24/2012 04:02 PMPosted by Paîñ
probably just update or use the new upgrade system.

Hopefully the enchants on our current ones don't go away if the items themselves are upgraded. I spent a lot of gold enchanting mine (before they made the vanilla reps/enchants so easy to farm that is). I hope Blizzard says something soon about how this is going to work, although I guess we can find out on our own when the PTR launches.

That would really suck.

It's like youve never played this game before.

Actually, it's highly unlikely that they would release new heirloom items and make everyone that has them already grind for them again. It looks to me, so far, like they are just upgrading the items.

Not doing it this way would mean sticking a lot of people with obsolete items that can't even be obtained anymore.
I just want them to look like the new class preview gear.
According to a post on the PTR board the new heirlooms cost the original heirloom plus the cost of the original. So you will be paying twice as much for 5 more levels.

I think that is ridicuous. It shouldn't be more than 500 JP for 5 more levels.
01/02/2013 05:06 PMPosted by Phreska
According to a post on the PTR board the new heirlooms cost the original heirloom plus the cost of the original. So you will be paying twice as much for 5 more levels.

I can't imagine many people actually buying them if that's the case. You can just level your character past 85 normally in the time it'd take to get enough JP to buy the new heirlooms.
I will be angry and/or disappointed if they aren't updating them. New items will piss off a lot of people when they have to rebuy their heirlooms to level alts. Talk about being alt-hostile.