Rogue PvP - 5.1 and 5.2

Rogue
I've been goin' round the forums asking what people from different classes are experiencing in PvP in 5.1 and what they're excited for in 5.2.

Rogues, you're up. What's looking good for the future, and how do you feel about the class right now?
Nothing. Our class is dead...
If you think our class is dead think again. The good rogues now will be gods in 5.2
The rogues now who still play like they're in cata will still be bad in 5.2
Let us fight to the death whisper
If you think our class is dead think again. The good rogues now will be gods in 5.2
The rogues now who still play like they're in cata will still be bad in 5.2
Let me start with the negative first, Blade Flurry.

With the huge nerf to it, combat rogues will see a massive decline in dps, both in PvP and PvE. Although this is just the starting notes for 5.2 so we will see how it goes.

I'm extremely happy for prep to be baseline, considering I've been using prep as a talent over shadowstep and BoS. The new planned talent to replace it, cloak and dagger, looks like it will be absolutely AMAZING for subtlety pvp. On top of that, having our energy bonus from our pvp set being increased from 10 to 50 will also increase our burst and help a little with our energy starvation. Not to mention subtlety also got a 4% damage buff through SV.

I'm skeptical of the new shuriken toss, I will wait until the PTR before saying anything on it.
I never liked shadow focus, so I never used it. I really enjoy subterfuge because it allows me to get my opening set up perfectly most of the time (garrote bleed for SV, expose armor with glyph for 3 stacks in 1 application, then ambush for decent damage followed quickly by a rupture or slice n dice depending on the opponent)

Overall, I'm pretty excited for 5.2 from a PvP standpoint. The only PvE I do is from LFR so it doesn't matter to me much.
Let me start with the negative first, Blade Flurry.

With the huge nerf to it, combat rogues will see a massive decline in dps, both in PvP and PvE. Although this is just the starting notes for 5.2 so we will see how it goes.

I'm extremely happy for prep to be baseline, considering I've been using prep as a talent over shadowstep and BoS. The new planned talent to replace it, cloak and dagger, looks like it will be absolutely AMAZING for subtlety pvp. On top of that, having our energy bonus from our pvp set being increased from 10 to 50 will also increase our burst and help a little with our energy starvation. Not to mention subtlety also got a 4% damage buff through SV.

I'm skeptical of the new shuriken toss, I will wait until the PTR before saying anything on it.
I never liked shadow focus, so I never used it. I really enjoy subterfuge because it allows me to get my opening set up perfectly most of the time (garrote bleed for SV, expose armor with glyph for 3 stacks in 1 application, then ambush for decent damage followed quickly by a rupture or slice n dice depending on the opponent)

Overall, I'm pretty excited for 5.2 from a PvP standpoint. The only PvE I do is from LFR so it doesn't matter to me much.

-hands cookie-

Yay for being among the only ones I've seen on this forum to build on constructive criticism!
I'd post my thoughts., but i can't get over the fact that i have a sudden urge to put a little action figure man on OP's hair and yell "SURFS UP"
12/23/2012 10:29 PMPosted by Bigbootybish
I'd post my thoughts., but i can't get over the fact that i have a sudden urge to put a little action figure man on OP's hair and yell "SURFS UP"

Great 'hawk Mo!

--------

On live, Rogues need two things: mobility and passive survivability (to damage/CC).

The 5.2 PTR notes promise to increase a few things: micro-burst, sustained, CC, and active survivability ... but MAYBE a little bump to passive survivability due to other class nerfs.

Micro-burst: An extra 40 energy is both a lot and a little. It's only enough for an extra opener in Dance, (or Cheap Shot/Garrote outside Dance) ... but it's an extra CP builder (or two!) during the short time a Rogue is in melee range.

Sustained: Mut and Combat passive damage is over 50%, and Sub's is still higher than 40%. Right now, most of that is lost due to poor target up-time. Enter Shuriken Toss. 1 GCD and 20 energy = 10 seconds of passive damage (auto-attacks, poison procs, SnD) on anyone within 30 yards. It can be CCed, but not kited. WOW!!!!

CC: Prep CD resets. Granted, Cata Rogues had this baseline, so it's actually returning Rogues to something near what they had in Cata. If the Nerve Strike healing debuff stacks, Rogues will be OP v. teams with healers, guaranteed.

Active Mitigation: Again, Prep resets several CDs that can be used ... when the Rogue isn't CCed.

Other changes, including BoS, Nerve Strike MS (if it doesn't stack), MfD, and possibly C&D are all good ways to increase options, but I don't think they really overbalance anything.

--------

Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty major buff, primarily in Prep and Toss (which should be tossed out), but it buffs some really odd things. Maybe Blizzard was responding to those players who like the old Rogue "glass cannon" style.

Personally, I'd rather see the following:

Mobility: a small buff for Crippling Poison, Step/BoS w/ a Prep replacement, Deadly Brew swapped with Prey on the Weak.
Passive Mitigation: a small buff for Cheat Death/Leeching/Feint, some form of CC break/counter.
Active Mitigation: Prep removed, CD's rebalanced, including 1m Cloak/Vanish.
Options: Blade Flurry replacing Shuriken Toss (live) in the talent tree, Toss (live) replacing baseline Throw, Toss (PTR) being rejected.
12/23/2012 11:23 PMPosted by Madcapmcgee
If the Nerve Strike healing debuff stacks

Imagine chains of CCs on healer and we end it with redirect Kidney. Dat 50% less healing after Kidney ends. UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Well, 5.2 is in progress and we are most definitely not 'Gods', to say the least. Our damage is great if it isn't cc'd (which is extremely easy), we have horrible survivability, and there are certain classes such as dk or lock that we will lose to 100% of the time if that player is halfway decent. I have played and loved rogue since the beginning of Cataclysm, and am extremely disappointed with their current state.