Blizzard please delete topic

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
Helping others in this game isn't always a good idea, it just produces beggars and people with a sense of entitlement that want to just use and get carried. I used to do the same thing, but I don't anymore. Maybe it's a lesson OP. I don't know about you, but I know I've been used by countless people, and when you stop helping them, they will just ditch you to advance their own progression. Why give things to strangers? Everyone in this game is a troll out to grief others to me, until they prove themselves otherwise.

You sound like an incredibly selfish person.

If everyone thought the way you did, there wouldn't be any soup kitchens or Goodwills.

Selfish? No. I speak from personal experience. I will always give to my friends and help them however I can, anyway that is within my power. There's selfishness and there's self-respect. God, I've given valor epics to someone back in cata, to help them out, and what ended up happening they found out something about me they didn't like from someone else and go trolling me about it on trade, using my personal business against me to the point where I had to make a ticket. There is NO chance in hell I am giving ANY handouts to ANYONE else in this game, until they proven to me, that their heart is pure and good. I suggest if you have self respect, you do the same.
Sorry you had bad experiences. I don't think helping out new players with a few gold embeds a sense if entitlement in them though. I remember a random player giving me and a friend each 2gold when we were lowbies. Neither of us turned into beggars. Sorry OP that CRZ messed up your efforts at goodwill. Presents for ALL....as long as you are actually on my realm.

I don't mean to sound rude, I know blue posters are supportive of this sort of activity, but I'm not really. I believe in hand-ups, not hand-outs. If you give new players everything, they will turn into beggars in trade channel and in SW that are all like "plz plz give me gold" and all the rest of it. I tried to be nice to people in that way as a way of recruiting them to the guild, and what ended up happening, I got people begging to be carried through dungeons and other things.

You should NEVER take more than you give. That's true. But others must prove to you first, that they share the same philosophy.
12/25/2012 12:35 PMPosted by Eliil

You sound like an incredibly selfish person.

If everyone thought the way you did, there wouldn't be any soup kitchens or Goodwills.

Selfish? No. I speak from personal experience. I will always give to my friends and help them however I can, anyway that is within my power. There's selfishness and there's self-respect. God, I've given valor epics to someone back in cata, to help them out, and what ended up happening they found out something about me they didn't like from someone else and go trolling me about it on trade, using my personal business against me to the point where I had to make a ticket. There is NO chance in hell I am giving ANY handouts to ANYONE else in this game, until they proven to me, that their heart is pure and good. I suggest if you have self respect, you do the same.

That IS unfortunate. OP is talking about 10 slot bags and what have you. OP is also talking about giving and expecting nothing in return. Yes, some people are selfish, but for some people, experiencing in game generosity can actually help them to develop more generousity within themselves.
Tovi, you don't have to be rude, I object being to being called a "tard" and if you are truly a nice person as you say you are, then please don't resort to insults. I can only speak through my own experience, of when I was giving things to people, the large majority just demanded more and more, and TIME and TIME again I got hurt, so yes, I had to harden my heart. When someone has proven to me that they are a nice person, through generally a nice conversation as friends-THAT is when I will give them free bags/gold etc to help them out.
The" trade restriction" is caused by CRZ being in effect in start zones. i was venting frustration not asking for a change.

As for the whole giving hand outs thing.. it's CHRISTMAS.
It's not like it's an every day thing. It's not like I stand there every day and just give players stuff. Besides a little good will towards others spreads happiness and sometimes the people you gave a hand out too in game, go on to be nicer players and become helpful citizens. I have had players come back to me around level 15- 20 when they have found out who my main is and they have given me the money back, or thanked me for my kindness. The odds are about 4 in 10 who do so. I have also seen one of the folks Who I did this for, give other players free mats when they were asking for some to buy.

Just because some people become beggars by your experiences, does not mean they all do, but those that do most likely are spoiled brats or already have the RL sense of entitlement. I'd rather have 2 people be jerks and 15 people be happy and maybe helpful to others.
Merry Christmas!
I dunno why people have issue with cross realm AH. If competition for nodes and rare spawns are a good thing, then why isn't competition in the AH good as well?

Thing is, if they make a cross realm AH, I'd say it should only be linked up with realms that are crossed with each other. Not every realm out there.
More then likely, it'd be best if it was the neutral AH, since it gets very little usage anyway.

As for OP wanting to distribute things... well... this is BLizz' way of dealing with botters.
You CAN still give out stuff, but only to people from your realm.
Maybe they're working on a fix for things like this, but... this falls under the 'dont' hold your breath' situation.

As for people having issue with 'entitlements', yeah, some people when you start giving them things, they can get that 'entitlement' mentality, but it can also give them the leg up they need.
When I first started out on quel dori, I really wasn't wanting to level up much, or do anything there, till some guy showed up, and handed me a bunch of crap he had snagged from Stratholme, gave me an extra bag, and some loose items I was able to sell for cash, and that got me going there.
If someone keeps bugging you for stuff and runs, then yes, it's time to put them on ignore. If they ask for help, and want to try to give something back to you, then that can be valueable in the long run.
I've had people do that for me, I've done it for others, and finding even just ONE person who, in the long run, you can TRUST, is worth all the 26 slot bags, dual mounts, and epic gear you can find, and then some.
12/25/2012 09:27 AMPosted by Pappywinter
At first other than folks who are lgbt on proudmoore being harassed by people from other realms, I did not mind CRZs.

Anyone who advertises their sexual preference, in game, is looking for trouble (and probably deserves it- WOW is NOT the place for this). In 4 years of playing, I've never said anything about my actual sex/sexuality to anyone who's not my friend/in guild chat.

edit: I'm incorrect. I've stated my sex in forums, but not my preference.
CRZ is not going anywhere. It has finally made the world in this MMO, feel full, and that was the intent.

People cast hate on it all the time, but it is not that bad, peoples complaints are because it causes an inconvience to them, not because it is a bad idea.

On to the OP, i don't condone hand-outs, it is the homeless-guy-on-the-corner syndrome....why work for something when they can just beg for it. They have never allowed cross server transactions for anything since LFR and LFD came about, and they probably never will. It hurts server economies, and allows gold sellers easier access.

However good luck in you endeavors even if I don't agree with them. =P

He was doing it for Christmas Cheer Ms. Grinnch!!!!
Thank you Tovi for the support on it being Christmas /Hugs you old orc you.

As for the other issue with sexuality its amazing how this became a second thread in this thread. But I'll just say this, many many people moved to Proudmoore for a reason, to avoid BS. Now they are sharing zones with haters. Just a side effect that sucks.
Tovi I think you misunderstood me, I am not saying that people shouldn't be nice to people and give others a helping hand, I'm just warning them that they do so at their own risk as in my experience, a large majority of players, simply never deserved that helping hand. What's wrong with that?

Yes, my heart has been hardened through bad experience, it's all fine to say "oh you should give freely and expect nothing in return" but the way I see it, given the fact that a large portion of wow's player base is homphobic and racist, I simply choose not to risk helping someone with that mentality, ever again. Yes this means, generally good people might not receive help from me they probably deserve, but you can thank the griefers for that.
12/25/2012 01:03 PMPosted by Tovi
Tovi, you don't have to be rude, I object being to being called a "tard" and if you are truly a nice person as you say you are, then please don't resort to insults. I can only speak through my own experience, of when I was giving things to people, the large majority just demanded more and more, and TIME and TIME again I got hurt, so yes, I had to harden my heart. When someone has proven to me that they are a nice person, through generally a nice conversation as friends-THAT is when I will give them free bags/gold etc to help them out.

I never claimed to be nice and the reason I'm rude to you is you disgust me.

You're telling someone not to be nice to people because you had one bad experience (maybe two but I bet you're exaggerating.)

The only thing your experiences should have taught you is if someone starts to get needy after you have been nice to them, you need to put them on ignore.

Also, what you're talking about and what the OP is talking about sounds slightly different. You sound like someone who's helped guildies/friends and has been burned. The OP dressing up like Santa and helping out noobies is not the same specially when he only logs that character on once a year (so he can't be stalked.) And how in the hell is a level one supposed to run anyone through a dungeon?

A heads up here babe, Eliil is as needy as they come and is the most carried person on the server. Its a pure attention seeker, anyone on Nagrand will tell you this.
CRZ sucks and needs to disappear. /end

QFT!
Very nice idea, OP. The problem with fixing this would be that it would impact server economies in a negative way - since goldsellers would be the absolute first to exploit the mechanic. It would also subvert the transfer limit of gold for transfers, so a person would only need to friend someone on their new server, give them their gold to hold, transfer, get it back.

There is no working around this unless they merge the servers, since we've been dealing with Cross Realm situations since late Classic. And when that happened most of us that were online that day remember people immediately started trading things in BGs causing it to be removed.
Tovi I think you misunderstood me, I am not saying that people shouldn't be nice to people and give others a helping hand, I'm just warning them that they do so at their own risk as in my experience, a large majority of players, simply never deserved that helping hand. What's wrong with that?

Yes, my heart has been hardened through bad experience, it's all fine to say "oh you should give freely and expect nothing in return" but the way I see it, given the fact that a large portion of wow's player base is homphobic and racist, I simply choose not to risk helping someone with that mentality, ever again. Yes this means, generally good people might not receive help from me they probably deserve, but you can thank the griefers for that.

The ''griefers'' win then. Grow some stones!