Why Does Blizzard Have So Little Contact

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 8 Next
12/15/2012 02:37 PMPosted by Ginx
Which is why they use multiple outlets to try to reach us.

The problem is none of those outlets are the official wow forums which doesn't make much sense to me.

Yeah, this has felt odd. It seems that more and more they're pushing us toward third-party sites like wowinsider and mmochampion - I mean for 5.1's release they emailed various fansites the day before to confirm it was going live, but said nothing on either the battle.net warcraft blog or the forums.
What sort of communication are you after?

They have experimented with reaching as many of as possible using different outlets. Not everyone visits the forums.

That's not contempt. It's attempting to reach a wider audience.

The forum audience can be quite intolerant, you're right. And every word spoken is invariably used against them at some point. The game will change over the years. However, a post from years ago will be brought up as "evidence" that their direction must remain in stone forever. It's a tough line to walk.

And honestly, there's 10 millionish of us and a few thousand of them. And most of them are working on the game or supporting us. There's just a few people who are tasked with talking with the audience. It's not easy for them.

Using twitter and reddit when you have your own web page and forums defeats the purpose. I don't have twitter and I never even been to reddit website once. The only reason I know about the posts there is from MMO champion which is in no way related to Blizzard (yet). Why not communicate with your players on the forums you made to communicate with them. Instead of spreading the info over 3-4 websites?
It always shocks me when we never hear J. Allan Brack Speak in anyway shape or from when he runs this game makes so many critical decisions on every server and how he refuses to help so many of those servers.

Yet this is the guy they put up on the podium every blizzcon to answer every Producer question and ever management decision for this game.

To this point I am convinced 100% this is the person who has said no to fixing a megaton of community problems to make this game just better.

I am convinced he is the reason that low pop servers stay low pop.

A person who never speaks to the community unless its at Blizzcon and then only to make joke responses. The lead producer of the game. Who keeps telling us that Tabard wardrode simply dosent' warrant enough developer time after 3+ years. I've listened to this guy say that at 3 Blizzcons up on the podium.
During the WotLK beta, there was actually--for once--a very positive and helpful feedback community amongst the players. This ended up encouraging Blizzard (Ghostcrawler in particular) to spend quite a bit of time responding and developing new forums for two-way communication. The tanking/DPS/healing boards you see here are actually a direct result of that.

Unfortunately, the negativity came back with the expansion going live, and for whatever reason, they didn't get the same reaction from the Cataclysm beta community. I'm not sure if it was just a higher percentage of bad apples in the random invites or the tacit disapproval of the expansion from the alpha folks, who really clamped down on negativity back on the WotLK beta boards (alpha invitees are much better behaved, due in no small part I'm sure to limited-to-no anonymity).

So yeah, I wouldn't be too encouraged to talk with the community either if all I got was complaining and trolling. The negative rhetoric has to soften up considerably for it to go back to the way it was. Frankly, I'm surprised they never introduced an invite-only board for people who have a demonstrated record of constructive feedback. Make it public knowledge and you'll get all of the attention, er, grabbers behaving a lot better.

OP, you're probably thinking, "I can't do anything, I'm one voice in a legion of bile-spewers," and while that is correct, you can do your part. Make sure to downvote negative posts (these get buried with enough votes), and report the posts that clearly violate Code of Conduct.
Hi.

I have been wondering this for quite a while, why does blizzard have so little contact with the community?

Do you have contempt for the community here, so you choose not to communicate as much as you have to? I noticed sometimes when you do choose to communicate, sometimes its through other outlets like twitter or reddit or elsewhere.

Another reason that comes to mind is, sometimes when i did see you talking here on the forums, some people twist their words. If it's a current hot button issue, if a blizz rep doesn't post exactly what people want to hear, they get even madder.

This forum is NOT for direct communication with Blizzard. They have stated this many times. If you have a question, ask them on twitter. Don't expect responses from them on here. This forum is for discussions for other players.

It was how Blizzard communicated with us BEFORE twitter, it irritates me that you think they have to use an outside source as their main form of communication with us instead of their own website. Not all of us twit.
12/15/2012 04:43 PMPosted by Dukè
the reason they use twitter is because the question can be limited and it feels more like someone is asking you a quick question you can answer, the forums people write novels and it is hard to answer every question on long winded posts. So why not just make a section on the forums where your question size is limited

That's a good idea.
I really don't like how twitter look like, so as long as it stays like forum posts, with very limited post length.
If I worked at Blizzard I wouldn't bother responding to 80% of the crud that gets posted here either.
Back in vanilla the GM's actually were a lot more active on the forums especially the class forums(which had good and bad results) but then again the game was a lot smaller then and was a lot less established. Given the current scope of the game there's typically nothing they can tell us that isn't already officially stated somewhere else.

For example the class reviews back in the day, blizzard basically to the class forums said "we're doing a comprehensive class review of every class we don't know exactly what to do please give us feedback" then engaged in an active discussion with the players about how they felt about their classes. It had super mixed results, some very good some just meh I suspect partly based on who the CM was for the various classes at the time.
12/15/2012 04:50 PMPosted by Nulm
If I worked at Blizzard I wouldn't bother responding to 80% of the crud that gets posted here either.

Closer to 99% if you ask me.

The "because we're jerks" guy earlier summed it up pretty much as concisely as it gets. I could easily write a half-page post, but it'd just be saying the exact same thing.
Again...problem is people are rude and feel entitled and some of the responses(I said some) are kind of why they don't post.
-
You need to keep in mind that around 75% of what is talked about on these forums is just people complaining just to complain. The remaining 25% is people rehashing discussions/debates. Only a slight few of those people actually bring up topics/items of discussion that is relevant.
12/15/2012 05:14 PMPosted by Valius
Again...problem is people are rude and feel entitled and some of the responses(I said some) are kind of why they don't post.

This response is overused in my opinion. "Entitlement" is the result of paying for something with money. No matter what the "good" is that people are paying for, they want it to be exactly what they want.

I understand some people cannot express their wants in well written suggestions but they are paying for a game monthly, as well as every expansion that comes out. They deserve to have a say regardless of how bad it is conveyed.

I think there are communication issues and I think there are issues with people understanding what exactly the end result is supposed to be. Sure there are many different threads to read though or alternate web sites to get answers from, but I can see how some people just don't want to use those sources of info because they are paying for a monthly service.

Blizz is not a cash strapped company that cant afford to have amazing customer service regardless of how "uninformed" the customer is.
Hi.

I have been wondering this for quite a while, why does blizzard have so little contact with the community?

Have you read what the "community" posts here these days? I am surprised that: a) Blues post here as often as they do; and, b) the forums are still up at all!
12/15/2012 05:53 PMPosted by Drymartini

This response is overused in my opinion. "Entitlement" is the result of paying for something with money. No matter what the "good" is that people are paying for, they want it to be exactly what they want.

I understand some people cannot express their wants in well written suggestions but they are paying for a game monthly, as well as every expansion that comes out. They deserve to have a say regardless of how bad it is conveyed.

I think there are communication issues and I think there are issues with people understanding what exactly the end result is supposed to be. Sure there are many different threads to read though or alternate web sites to get answers from, but I can see how some people just don't want to use those sources of info because they are paying for a monthly service.

Blizz is not a cash strapped company that cant afford to have amazing customer service regardless of how "uninformed" the customer is.

Doesn't matter if they pay, they shouldn't be saying things so impolitely. Blizzard SHOULD communicate with us more often in a way that's easier for us but not because "DA MONIES". They should do it because of ethical reasons and those they get "DA MONIES"

When I said feel entitled I meant those that think since they pay they are supposed to listen to them and if Blizz doesn't they are bad and should feel bad even if the idea is not really thought out and posted very rudely.

I'm not making excuses for them, far from it. It's just understandable why. I'd try and commit to be constructive and push Blizz to communicate but I suck at commitments like that.
Hi.

Have you read what the "community" posts here these days? I am surprised that: a) Blues post here as often as they do; and, b) the forums are still up at all!

b) Is what scares me, to be honest. I've seen companies give up when players refuse to post politely and just close down their forums. Even more so when the front page of posts doesn't give a good impression to the first-time buyer.

I kinda expect any moment to see them either shut down completely, or replaced with some kind of "social group" system where we end up talking in our own little circles without any public posts at all.
12/15/2012 06:00 PMPosted by Valius
When I said feel entitled I meant those that think since they pay they are supposed to listen to them and if Blizz doesn't they are bad and should feel bad even if the idea is not really thought out and posted very rudely.

Yeah. I've even seen people say "I pay this guys wage's, he's *supposed* to take whatever crap I want to give him", and felt utterly sick to my stomach. I'm not even going into the threads about people needing to be fired. That whole freakin attitude with half the forum just makes me want to punch people like that in the face and remind them they're talking about another human being.
12/15/2012 02:53 PMPosted by Rygarius
Eh, I still believe it's because we're jerks.

Not true. I less than three all of you.

If that was true then you would totally come and hang out with us in game.