Tailoring and 5.2

Professions
Good morning,

With any incoming patch there is always an excitement to learn if new recipes or patterns will be introduced to the game. My understanding is that Blacksmithing will be receiving some love in the form of new weapons, which in my honest opinion is much needed for that profession.

Has there been any news regarding new patterns for Tailoring in the upcoming patch?? I've been slowly but surely building up a good stack of Imperial Silk hoping to use it on new gear for myself. I know there wasn't much to brag about with 5.1, but with the introduction of 5.2 and the new sizeable raid I could almost bet that we will see new patterns.

If anyone knows anything please discuss!
If history holds, all of the crafting professions should get new patterns for two slots, just like they did at the start of the expansion. Which slots, what ilvl, and so on will likely not be revealed until at least February.

In the meantime, I would highly suggest making royal satchels now though while you can still demand a decent profit margin.
People are making profit on royal satchel's? Crazy they're 7k here, practically giving them away.
01/05/2013 12:23 AMPosted by Brudarek
People are making profit on royal satchel's? Crazy they're 7k here, practically giving them away.

Royal satchels are selling for much less than 7k on my server. I don't understand tailors. We seem to think selling crafted items for less than the price of the cloth makes us a "profit". I understand people do this while leveling, but for high level things, why? I make my friends bags and such as a courtesy, but really, would be better business for them to buy the bags and sell the cloth they give to me for the item on the AH. I make more money selling raw cloth I pick up from instances than I do from my "profession".
spellthreads bring in 400 every day, that works for me

plus I can make outfits for my human form :)
It cost you more than 7k to make a Royal Satchel? I dont think so. 12 Imperial Cloth x 8 bolts of windwool per cloth x 5 windwool per bolt = 480 cloth per bag. That values each cloth at 145g. So lets not get carried away with this now.
01/09/2013 10:37 AMPosted by Ikett
It cost you more than 7k to make a Royal Satchel? I dont think so. 12 Imperial Cloth x 8 bolts of windwool per cloth x 5 windwool per bolt = 480 cloth per bag. That values each cloth at 145g. So lets not get carried away with this now.

This. Though I would put the value of cloth at 2g each, so 960g for one bag. Assuming you waste SoH to increase silk production, two golden lotus probably run in the neighborhood of 50g each, so make it between 1100 to 1200 gold to make one bag, with 6k being a more then fair price.
01/08/2013 04:50 AMPosted by Zulayka

Royal satchels are selling for much less than 7k on my server. I don't understand tailors. We seem to think selling crafted items for less than the price of the cloth makes us a "profit". I understand people do this while leveling, but for high level things, why? I make my friends bags and such as a courtesy, but really, would be better business for them to buy the bags and sell the cloth they give to me for the item on the AH. I make more money selling raw cloth I pick up from instances than I do from my "profession".

Most people feel if they gather the materials themselves, that they are free or have no opportunity cost. As such, 7K (or less) for a bag is all profit as far as they are concerned. They don't realize they could actually sell the cloth for more.
01/09/2013 12:16 PMPosted by Lorisha
Most people feel if they gather the materials themselves, that they are free or have no opportunity cost. As such, 7K (or less) for a bag is all profit as far as they are concerned. They don't realize they could actually sell the cloth for more.

Another way of looking at this is that they're monetizing otherwise useless materials. At this point in the expansion, a fair number of players have a surplus of items like Imperial Silk that they just have no use for. The only way for them to get money out of them is to sell at 'below market' rates.

It's really no different from the fact that candy is always really cheap after Halloween.

Just as an aside, your math appears to be faulty. If you sell a bag at 7,000 gold, and it takes 480 cloths to make that bag, you're not valuing the cloth at 145g each (69,600g per bag), you're valuing them at 14.5g per cloth. Whether this is under, above, or at market value is dependent on your server. (About 300g a stack, give or take)
When we say it sells for less than the mats, that includes either the time or the spirits needed to make it. Not the cloth itself.
01/10/2013 12:57 PMPosted by Positivity
When we say it sells for less than the mats, that includes either the time or the spirits needed to make it. Not the cloth itself.

Takes five minutes to blow your cooldown. You are lucky to get a 200g tip for cooldowns from most individuals in trade chat, makes your daily cloth cooldown worth about 250g times 12 cloth, or 3k gold. That is a 3k gold profit selling the bags at 6k, which is a reasonable price.

As for using SoH, golden lotus is going for 50g each on a lot of servers, that is 100g per SoH that a tailor otherwise has no use for. You are still turning a decent profit selling a bag a day at 6k gold versus 1 a month at 12k.
Any thoughts on the PVP gear sets? Will they just update the current recipes in the spell book or will we have to buy the recipes again? Will this require more harmony to purchase again?
To answer OP, in 5.2 we will have the chance to "discover" new patterns when using our daily Imperial Silk cd.
Crazy, so which recipes will there be a chance to learn? Just MoP recipes? Any recipe including removed ones?

A lot of people completely fail to understand opportunity cost. They figure imperial silk is worth no more than the 8 windwool bolts it took to make it.

That's the wrong way to look at it.

It takes 1 week of time to make it that way, 1 week is worth hundreds of thousands of gold, which is of course an unreasonable measure.

The only reasonable way to measure is how much it would cost to mass produce them, with no cooldown, using the spirit of harmony version.

36 spirit of harmony is worth a hell of a lot more than 7k.
01/10/2013 04:33 PMPosted by Brudarek
The only reasonable way to measure is how much it would cost to mass produce them, with no cooldown, using the spirit of harmony version.

I would not consider that the only reasonable way at all, not even a reasonable way. The best way, imo, is to look at what else you can do with the cloth and the easiest metric for that is how much spellthreads cost. so 7x the rare quality spell threads which im going to go out on the limb and say is less than 7k on most servers.

Yes its a weeks worth of cooldowns, and a weeks worth of time could be worth hundreds of thousands of gold. But you aren't spending a weeks worth of time, you are spending less then 5 minutes a day for 7 days so at most 35 minutes. so 35minutes of time + w/e trivial windwool cloth it takes.

The other thing you have to consider is what you are selling, it may seem like a huge benefit...huge 28 slot bags right? that's awesome. wrong, you are selling 2-4 extra slots. For the kind of people considering spending 7k on a bag likely already have the cata rare bags so probably 2 slots in most cases. Thats 7k gold for 2 bag slots. Personally i payed about 5k each for mine and despite having millions of gold i don't really feel like it was all that worth it.
For the kind of people considering 28 slot bags, no price is too high. I could barely play my main until I bought 9 of them. That's 18 extra slots, which is huge when all you have free is the 16 slot backpack after you mail off everything that isn't soulbound.

Illusionary Bags were priced at roughly what the cloth + orbs cost. I really don't see why everyone has to be so cheap about it this xpac. Suppose part of the problem is the whole soulbound mote/spirit issue, meaning that spirits SHOULD be priced somewhat based on how long it takes to farm them. There's also the vast discrepancy various professions can charge for them. Chaos orbs had an AH price, spirits are worth 1k+ for other profs, but for tailoring suddenly they have almost no value?
the problem with the "how long it takes to farm spirits" thing is that its different for everyone as well. If theres 1 person just planting song bells on his farm he spends only a few minutes to get his vs a guy killing mobs spends a lot of time.

So the only metric for them is what else you can do with them, which if you arent a leatherworking/tailor/BS then they arnt worth all that much, maybe 100-200g each.

the people willing to pay top dollar already have, that market is limited and exhausted. Now you are left with increasing supply of cloth out there, increasing amounts of people with the pattern lowering the price and people willing to pay less and less.

01/10/2013 05:21 PMPosted by Brudarek
That's 18 extra slots

the amount of people that consider 18 slots worth 63k is extremely small, almost non existent. hell the amount of people that have 63k gold is small, the amount that have the 7k for 1 isn't even that large.