An error has occurred while resetting pw

Customer Support
My other wow account has been locked out since I logged in at a friend's house. I tried resetting the password by following the typical steps of verifying my first and last named followed by answering my secret question and answer. However, once the mail was sent to my email, I clicked on the linked provided, and this "An error has occured" message appeared. This happened over 8 times and then a new message "you have made too many unsuccessful attempts" appeared. I have tried calling the blizzard contact line but the lines are closed for the weekend. I am unable to reset my password or log into my account.

Tried this process over the span of 9 hours, and the issue has still not been resolved. The you have made too many unsuccessful attempts message has appeared again.

I have tried clearing the cache as well as tried accessing the websites on different browsers to no avail. Please help me fix this issue
Have you tried logging into the game again to see what happens?
Yes, it just says my account has been locked due to suspicious activity, and providing a link to reset my password, once again leading to the vicious cycle.
Sounds like you went straight to the reset instead of the email that would have been sent.

In any case, yes - too many tries and it will lock you out for a period of time.

If this hasn't cleared up, submit a ticket through the link above - Account Management and we should be able to reset the password for you.

On the off chance this is a browser issue - have you tried clearing your cookies and cache - or using another browser?
Sounds like you went straight to the reset instead of the email that would have been sent.

In any case, yes - too many tries and it will lock you out for a period of time.

If this hasn't cleared up, submit a ticket through the link above - Account Management and we should be able to reset the password for you.

On the off chance this is a browser issue - have you tried clearing your cookies and cache - or using another browser?

My first step was to reset the password with the link provided, after answering my secret Q&A, I waited for the email to be sent to my email account. I then clicked on the link that they sent to my email. That's when the "An error has occurred" message appeared.

Yes I have cleared my cookies and caches, tried using different computers in my house. I have tried IE, Firefox, Google Chrome and Safari.

I have already submitted a ticket regarding this issue 9 hours ago.
Has anyone encountered a similar situation?
Can you give me a character/realm on the account in question?
Elvaa - Thaurissan
12/15/2012 06:11 AMPosted by Newnesh
Elvaa - Thaurissan

Well, I actually see 5 requests for reset here.

I've asked one more new password be sent to your registered email. Once you receive that - please see if you can access the game.

I also highly recommend adding an authenticator for an extra layer of protection if possible. Not only will it help protect your account, the systems that lock these up due to security aren't quite as sensitive.
Thank you so much! Worked like a charm, I guess I'll be coming to the customer support forums rather than submitting a ticket in the future. XD
12/15/2012 06:25 AMPosted by Newnesh
Thank you so much! Worked like a charm, I guess I'll be coming to the customer support forums rather than submitting a ticket in the future. XD

Oh...hehehe, back up a sec.

A petition is the proper way to go about something like this. This forum isn't staffed round the clock and we cannot ever guarantee an answer, or that we'll be able to directly assist.

We are of course more than happy to help when we can, but this really isn't an alternate contact method simply because we can't ever guarantee we'll see any particular post.

Glad it worked for you though!
Hi Orlyia,

Same problem has happened again, an error has occurred while trying to reset my password, my computer got locked while trying to access it from a different location (friend's house) why does this keep happening?
Hi Orlyia,

Same problem has happened again, an error has occurred while trying to reset my password, my computer got locked while trying to access it from a different location (friend's house) why does this keep happening?

Because your location keeps changing and that is absolutely working as intended.

If you still have your petition open, leave it so and this can be looked into further. I do highly recommend adding an authenticator. Not only will it help with this - but if you are playing from locations and systems you may not have total control over security, you really really should have one.
Oh dear, thanks for your help, but can you resend me the link so that I can reset my password. My sincere apologies for the trouble but I'm staying over at my friend's house to play WoW so it would be greatly appreciated if the blizzard system can just detect my friend's house IP address as a "safe" location so that I can play.

edit: I closed my petitions once I resetted my password with the link you provided

2nd edit: I just made a new ticket
"Because your location keeps changing and that is absolutely working as intended."

Sorry I think you misunderstood my post, my point was that I am fine with my account being locked since it's Blizzard's security system and I think it's a good measure to prevent hackers. My inquiry is why does the error message "An error has occurred" keep appearing when I'm trying to reset my password.
I have the same thing happening with my step-daughters account. She was sent the request to change password via email, I went through the process with her, was advised that another email would be sent, opened that email and followed the link only to be told that an error occurred and that I would have to go through the process again. This continued until the account locked. Tried again an hour later only to be caught in the same loop. Must be an error on Bizzard's part with the 2nd reset password email link. I have tried different browsers and cleared cache, etc, etc, etc.
The only explanation of what type of error has occurred is the very helpful clarification that 'An error has occurred' written slightly smaller than the original alert that states, 'An error has occurred'.
I have exactly the same problem when I tried to log in from an internet cafe today. When I returned to my home and tried to reset the password, it always says "An error has occurred". tried everything but still doesnt work. Help please ?
I had no success, so in the end I called customer service and they sorted it but they recommended an Authenticator for ease of access at different locations.
Hi same problem, I had to make a trail account to do this. 'error occurred' comes up everytime I try and change password please help I miss my old characters :(
The problem is, why is there always 'an error has occurred' when trying to reset pw??? Is there something wrong with the password recovery system?

Just yesterday, i helped my friend to call blizz at 2am + my time to reset his pw. Now he is locked again when trying to login at his place. 'an error has occured', he cant unlock his account....

edit2: problem solved. The password recovery link i received is under 'sea.battle.net...'. All i have to do is change it to 'us.battle.net...' and it worked without any error.

Question is why is the link sent over with sea.battle.net in the first place?