Solo Chess Event in Kara

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Folks,

I have seen a lot of threads concerning soloing the chess event in Kara. This seems to be the ONLY solution to work for me. And I have tested over and over, it seems to be full proof. Hope this helps others. It should take no more than 3 tries at the most, being the first couple of tries just getting used to the way of doing it.

- Talk to King and activate group buff, release him
- Activate pawn directly in front of king and move him up one slot, release him
- Activate the pawn on the second farthest right of your side of the board and move up one slot, release him
- Move your Rook (doomguard on the horde side) and move him up to the newly empty slot, release him
- repeat on the opposite side of the board with the pawn\rooke.
- Move rooke on both sides diagnally one more slot closer to the center on either side.

* Ensure you are constantly aware of the "Medivh Cheats" notification and prepare to move your king up and back a slot each time he cheats.

Doing this, moving the rookes to the center allows fore more AOE damage in front of the king, and the AOE from the rookes are damaging all the pieces around them. Before I even fnished moving the second rooke the first time, the opposite side king was already nearly dead, between the AOE dmg and the King cleaving and the Queen dpsing

Hope this was helpful. Let me know if you have any questions!
Thanks!! Took me about five times to get it right.
Medivh cheats in first 3-5 piece moves. And first is always fire.

I always found the safest to move 3 pieces and then get in king, do the kings buff and be prepared to move him 1.

Once fire happens, then complete this process.
Hah, it seems this week, he was cheating way too often. And I couldnt get the setup done in time and would lose. Took me hours worth of attempts before I finally asked my brother for help. With 2, completed in one try.

This event is so random. I wish it was skippable after you complete it once.
What i used that works for me (granted, not always) was to move the pawns out of the kings way so he can get out of the cheat fire and bounce between king and bishop (bishop heals king and lets him do the work basically).

Think ill still use my bishop deal, but set the rooks up first. Thats a nice trick.
Worked like a dream. Thanks!
One thing that i would emphasize is the first couple of moves need to be done really fast.

I usually move pawns 4, 5, 6 and 7 up one square. But the way i do it is i click the king to start the fight, then get out of him. I wait next to a pawn and once the debuff runs out get in the pawn. Hit 1 which is the default move, click the square in front, and as soon as he says 'uh huh' or salutes i click the brain buff to get out of the piece. Once they say uh huh or w/e and they salute there is no need to wait while the piece walks to the next square.

I can get 5 pawns moved forward and then get back in the king and have him ready to move out of Medivhs first cheat. But i usually just move 4 pawns and get in the king and wait to move him.
Having soloed chess on alliance an horde side it seems like horde is so much easier considering that the King is stupid an moves out into the middle so you can use the mage an pyroblast him.
well after several attempts at least 100 tries, I am sure that it is IMPOSSIBLE to solo the chess game. I have tried every means possible to do it solo, once he cheats it's over...
I've tried all of these approaches, but here is a 12 sec CD on the move command, and this quest appears to be almost impossible.
01/03/2013 08:59 PMPosted by Gasburner
well after several attempts at least 100 tries, I am sure that it is IMPOSSIBLE to solo the chess game. I have tried every means possible to do it solo, once he cheats it's over...

You're going to have a hard time convincing me it's impossible to solo something I've solo'd.
Only way I beat it was to move the first two pawns up two spaces, to give the king room to move around and avoid fire. The fire will affect two spaces, but the third free space (created by moving the second pawn) gives you an option. Then just smack stuff. If the enemy moves in patterns that are favorable to you, you win. If not, you won't. Took me 3 tries that way.
I'd been soloing Chess without issue using the "move 3-5 pieces, then move King/heal King as necessary" strategy for a few months without issue....until 5.2

Now, for some reason it's become completely unsoloable. The same strategy which was successful 9/10 times, has led to 5 consecutive wipes. As I see what's been going on on the board each time, it appears that for every 1 move I can make, the Horde side makes no fewer than 5-6. It's like they gave rocket boots to all the horde pieces. They move faster and more frequently, and it's not even doable anymore. I don't know if it was by design or by accident, but looks like 2+ ppl will be needed for Chess once again.
Necro.

Also,

and it's not even doable anymore. I don't know if it was by design or by accident, but looks like 2+ ppl will be needed for Chess once again.

I solo'd it yesterday. Don't be over dramatic.
How is any of that being dramatic, much less over-dramatic?

I merely pointed out that the same pattern/strat that worked for several months stopped working. That's not being dramatic, it's just a point of fact. I also observed from actually watching Medivh's side that the pieces were moving *very* rapidly, like an arcade game on superfast mode. Perhaps it was a temporary bug/glitch that was in play for a brief duration and they've since hot-fixed it, but it was markedly different from my experience the previous two months. Also a point of fact.

No histrionics, no hyperbole...just facts. If you solo'd it yesterday, bully for you. Either the instance wasn't behaving for you as it was for me, or you employed a strategy that somehow is not affected by the Horde pieces moving 5x for every one of yours.

Again...bully for you.
No histrionics, no hyperbole...just facts

Now, for some reason it's become completely unsoloable

It's like they gave rocket boots to all the horde pieces

it's not even doable anymore.

looks like 2+ ppl will be needed for Chess once again.

like an arcade game on superfast mode.

uhhhhh
wait, what
Out of curiosity, when was the last time you tried this strat?

I tried it just now, and the opposing pieces move so quickly, that even leaving each piece super fast (before it even completes its move) and using Cheetah aspect to move more quickly, there wasn't enough time to move the pieces you designated to the appropriate positions - those spots get occupied by enemy pieces first.

Wondering if they stealth-buffed this for some mysterious reason.
Yes, what?
I can confirm this still works