DK Tanking Guide (5.4)

Death Knight
Prev 1 3 4 5 26 Next
While I agree that Death Pact is the best option. Reniat would do a disservice to a guide full of bias. There are some things that flow and change based on patch changes, player ability, player/class make up of a raid and so on. Making a guide for example that is designed around Heroic Raiding against a spell boss would be different from one for other scenarios. A guide should at most give pros/cons for spells but it should end there. So for example Death Pact is great but is tied to your raise ghoul summon CD. Each has a cost and players should decide for themselves if it's worth it.

As an example many would say Lichborne is an awesome ability but I personally do not think it's worth storing large amounts of RP for a marginal heal. But truly if I was writing a guide I should say that. I should simply that using Lichborne requires having the Runic Power to death coil during the CD buff.

Regardless a heal that is 50% of your total health and doesn't really cost a resource at all is glorious. I'd rather not spend a death rune or RP. But I won't slight others that wish to do that.
So I just rolled this toon to help my 10m guild out when our main DK tank decided to take a break from the game. Now this guide is awesome for a fledgling Blood tank! I just have one question. I min/max as best I can even though Im not in too hardcore of a guild and I was wondering about races for Blood tanks. I rolled Night Elf for the extra chance to miss but I was wondering if the Dwarf stone-form CD would be better overall. My guild is just getting into heroic MSV and we are progressing at a decent pace.

Is there a resource already for best tanking races that I might be able to get a link to? Any other links to Blood resources aside from this great guide would be awesome as well.
Generally races don't make much of a difference. The difference is small enough that I don't feel it's even worth including, because you can literally tank at any level with any race without much difference if any. That said, there are "better" races. In general Stoneform is pretty awesome for DK tanks, and for hardmode progression I would say that dwarf is the "best" race for survivability. However, it's not so big that you should feel obligated to pick dwarf (or draenei if you're picking for tank dps) unless you are pushing hardcore progression. If you want to min/max i'd probably say dwarf>draenei>night elf, but like I said you should pick based on what you should play unless you are doing bleeding edge content.
Yes, the races are not game breaking enough that one is leaps ahead of another. The only difference for the 3 listed by Reniat is that Draenei has Hit as a racial instead of expertise to a specific weapon type. So if you're a tank who for example swaps to dps on a single tank fight then Draenei offers the most benefit in more scenarios as a tank.

Really as racials go so many of them work for roles. I wish we could be Pandas as Death Knights. The double food buff is pretty nice with another 450 stam or 300 strength.
Made a twitch.tv account. Will be streaming art http://www.twitch.tv/reniat
raid times are sun-wed from 6:30-10:30 central
Guess I could watch your Monday/Wed days. What time zone anyway?
oh, central. sry

also not sure if we're going to be doing much monday raiding now that the tier is over. Depending on if we have any buyers for msv loot/achievs we might just blow through HoF and Terrace on tues/wed. Obviously once 5.2 comes out that'll change. we almost cleared all 3 on tues/wed this week, but stupid mistakes on sha means we get to come back on sunday... yay wipes <10% on a 20 minute fight...
I'm a west coaster but play on a central server so tend to raid on Tues, Wed & Sunday from 8 to 10:30 so would not be able to watch a lot of the streams but maybe I'll catch one or two.
It's more of just an experiment anyway. I'm not sure if this will actually end up being a thing.
np, twitch is an amusing thing as a concept. I wager it's actually hard to keep people interested. I mean honestly how fun is it to watch someone else play a game instead of playing yourself. Granted I took a lot of enjoyment out of watching Myndflame play games likes Awesomenauts Co-ops, xcom, snuggle truck and the list goes on.
01/23/2013 12:26 AMPosted by Tor
While I agree that Death Pact is the best option. Reniat would do a disservice to a guide full of bias. There are some things that flow and change based on patch changes, player ability, player/class make up of a raid and so on. Making a guide for example that is designed around Heroic Raiding against a spell boss would be different from one for other scenarios. A guide should at most give pros/cons for spells but it should end there. So for example Death Pact is great but is tied to your raise ghoul summon CD. Each has a cost and players should decide for themselves if it's worth it.

Even though death pact is indeed tied to your summon ghoul since it no longer gets rid of your ghoul I dont see the downside to it really.
01/26/2013 10:09 PMPosted by Merdrfac
Even though death pact is indeed tied to your summon ghoul since it no longer gets rid of your ghoul I dont see the downside to it really.
and 99% of time, there is no reason not to use DP. However, if you are in a situation where you simply will not have healers for a short amount of time, mechanics or otherwise, you can do more healing with say conversion. It's not something you would ever want to use under normal tanking circumstances, but I would not be writing a complete guide if I didn't include it.
01/27/2013 01:16 AMPosted by Reniat
and 99% of time, there is no reason not to use DP. However, if you are in a situation where you simply will not have healers for a short amount of time, mechanics or otherwise, you can do more healing with say conversion. It's not something you would ever want to use under normal tanking circumstances, but I would not be writing a complete guide if I didn't include it.

I guess the reason I bring it up is isn't Death Pact basically a "free" heal so to speak? For the record Im not rying to knock your logic, all of the lvl 60 talents have merits (supposedly because thats hoow the new system was designed). If you have conversion active and you hit VB does that stack?
Death Pact is basically the free heal in the bunch. Generally I prefer Death Pact as I'm sure Reniat does. The thing about a guide like his you can't really write off the other options because they could for example have better uses in some fights. But it's like trying to decide on which lvl 57 talent is the best. Really they all have their uses so as a guide you just have to list them. Telling people to use Anti-Magic zone for non spell heavy fights will find that talent less wanted. Meanwhile some players like having Lichborne for the extra healing even if it eats up RP. I lean to purgatory but that does not mean all DK's should.

Another example is the weapon runeforge. Swordshattering is preferred by many but to tell all that they should use it is unfair to Stone Skin Gargoyle that has it's strengths and advantages for some boss fights.
I'm a Death Knight.
01/27/2013 09:51 PMPosted by Ømnìsciënt
I'm a Death Knight.
Death knight's don't affiliate themselves with the color pink. Too...alive.
If you water down blood stains they can make this nice pink hue.
This guide was a nice read already knew most of the things stated the Army trick was new I really liked that. I see that you use /WA I was wondering if you have exports for it I have some made right now but I don't really like them. One more questing for Lei Shi heroic is it better to use death siphon instead of DS for death runes?
It's a semi-significant benefit. Whether you use death strike or death siphon, there will be a lot of overheal involved. The most important thing you can do to improve your survivability there is to make sure you are using CDs correctly. Make sure you don't stack them, so you aren't left without one when you need it.
Balancing Avoidance and DR
With the new DR mechanics We'll want to balance the % on our character screen according to this equation:

Parry% = 2.598*dodge% - 5.797 (with Rune of Swordshattering)
Parry% = 2.598*dodge% - 9.797 (without Rune of Swordshattering)

So for example if you had 10% dodge on your character sheet and had Swordshattering on your weapon, you would want...
2.598 x 10 - 5.797 = 20.18% parry rating.

NOTE: Night Elves have a different base dodge, and should use:
parry% = 2.598*dodge% - 10.992 (with Rune of Swordshattering)
parry% = 2.598*dodge% - 14.992 (without Rune of Swordshattering)

Or you can just use a macro that will do all the work for you.
With Swordshattering:
/run d=GetDodgeChance() n=3.22 b=5.01 if UnitRace("player")=="Gnome" then n=n-.01 end if UnitRace("player")=="Night Elf" then b=b+2 end p=235.5*d/90.6425-((235.5/90.6425)*b-n)+4 DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Ideal parry: "..string.format("%.2f",p))Without Swordshattering:/run d=GetDodgeChance() n=3.22 b=5.01 if UnitRace("player")=="Gnome" then n=n-.01 end if UnitRace("player")=="Night Elf" then b=b+2 end p=235.5*d/90.6425-((235.5/90.6425)*b-n) DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Ideal parry: "..string.format("%.2f",p))
I missed something - why does the macro reference gnomes? They don't have anything that affects their dodge/parry chance, do they?