Farming Certain Spawns

Pet Battles
Are there things you can do like kill the existing critters + non combat ones?
Killing the wild battle pets that are currently in the zone does usually have an effect as I believe there is a maximum # that can be in a zone. So killing the current ones opens up space for a new wild pet to spawn. Hopefully then that new one is the rare you are looking for.
Wildly varies from pet to pet.

Some things I know have an effect (again, varies wildly from situation to situation):
1. Killing the parent NPC linked to the pet (example: Giraffe Calf)
2. Not killing the parent (in direction contradiction to #1) (example: Diemetradon Hatchling)
3. Killing (or battling) the other Battle Pets in the area (sometimes zone) (note: this usually does not apply to rare pets.)
4. Time (example: Cogblade Raptor; killing parents does nothing, killing other pets in the zone does nothing, and you just have to wait.)

One thing I know does NOT have an effect:
Killing the non-combat pets. When farming in Ashenvale for Frog, I was killing all of them, then I afk'd next to a Toad (critter form). Right when I got back to my computer, I watched the LIVE Toad critter transform into a Frog Battle Pet. It turns out when the pets need to spawn, they will replace ANY critter they share a spawn with, even if they are not the same type of mob. The game checks "is it a critter?" not "is it a critter of the same type?".
Ahhh ok thank you, so don't bother with plain non-combat critters, kill/battle battle pets & their parents
Killing some types of non battle pets will help force spawn battle pets. Like Spawn of Onyxia or Lofty Libram for example. Even if they're not the same type of pet, killing rats will randomly spawn Lofty Librams.

Word of advise, don't kill the parent. If you're searching for a rare, battle the one coupled with a parent, hang around a few minutes, if the parent isn't killed, a new battle pet will spawn. I did this for Diemetradon Hatchlings in Un'goro Crater. Had my rare within 45 minutes.
01/08/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Ziv
Killing some types of non battle pets will help force spawn battle pets. Like Spawn of Onyxia or Lofty Libram for example. Even if they're not the same type of pet, killing rats will randomly spawn Lofty Librams.

At least for Lofty Librams, this only works very rarely. If you kill a few Rats and nothing spawns, then nothing is going to spawn after another 10 minutes of killing Rats except by coincidence (which is quite likely considering the Lofty Libram's respawn is not THAT bad).

01/08/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Ziv
Word of advise, don't kill the parent. If you're searching for a rare, battle the one coupled with a parent, hang around a few minutes, if the parent isn't killed, a new battle pet will spawn. I did this for Diemetradon Hatchlings in Un'goro Crater. Had my rare within 45 minutes.

Good point, Diemetradon Hatchling was a bad example on my part. Changed the list to reflect that.
Farming Fluxfire Feline, it seemed that killing the cockroach critters caused FFFs to spawn. However I couldn't be certain about cause and effect.
There are certain spawns you can try to force by NOT killing the non-battle pet critters of its type ie. gilded moth. If you leave up only gilded moths in the zone, the non-battle pets start becoming battleable (then you just fight 2 and leave 1 for it to respawn friends).

There are so many different ways they work.
There are certain spawns you can try to force by NOT killing the non-battle pet critters of its type ie. gilded moth. If you leave up only gilded moths in the zone, the non-battle pets start becoming battleable (then you just fight 2 and leave 1 for it to respawn friends).

There are so many different ways they work.

Truth, that's because the Glided Moths do not share spawns with anything else. They are always Glided Moths, so killing them is counterproductive.

There is really never a reason to kill the CRITTERS that I know of.
[quote]

There is really never a reason to kill the CRITTERS that I know of.

Kill the mechanical critters in and around Everlook, Winterspring, and mechanical pets start spawning immediately. If you want to farm robo-cubs this is the way to do it. Keep killing the critters between battling pets and you can get about a dozen mechanical pets before they stop spawning.

I do this daily just to battle mechs in the hope of getting mech stones. None have dropped for me yet though. However I did score a breed 6 rare cub, and good rare chick and varmint, and a number of other players who were just waiting for spawns have picked up nice cubs when I've been doing this. - Which makes me happy. I'm delighted if my little effort benefits someone else too.