Open Libram LXIV: Tales of the Bold

Paladin
Prev 1 4 5 6 26 Next
back to back star trek movies. aww yeah, i am not moving off this couch all evening.
01/13/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Idoma
back to back star trek movies. aww yeah, i am not moving off this couch all evening.

What ones and where?
01/13/2013 12:51 PMPosted by Cadenbrie
What ones and where?

first contact and voyage home on scifi. my cable box's guide cuts out at 9pm so i don't know if theres any after that.
01/13/2013 12:58 PMPosted by Idoma
first contact

"THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HEEEYA!!"
THIS FAR, NO FURTHER!!!!
So .. just had a car accident driving to work. Fortunately it was only a broken window and wing mirror - with the window being covered entirely with no excess under my insurance and the wing mirror will cost about $100 including shipping which is way less than my $500 excess, so not a huge amount. Was more of a fright than anything.

This is the first accident I've been in - which is pretty good for driving for almost 25 years with no accidents.
So .. just had a car accident driving to work. Fortunately it was only a broken window and wing mirror - with the window being covered entirely with no excess under my insurance and the wing mirror will cost about $100 including shipping which is way less than my $500 excess, so not a huge amount. Was more of a fright than anything.

This is the first accident I've been in - which is pretty good for driving for almost 25 years with no accidents.

D:

Glad it was nothing serious.

I've been in a couple fender benders over the years, things that resulted in nothing worse then a dent or maybe a broken light cover.

All my friends in High School though seemed to take turns totaling their cars.

I did have one close encounter where I went screaming through a four way intersection during a red light and made it to the other side without getting touched and without a cop pulling me over.

Talk about a constipation aid. XD

I dislike driving, if I could afford too I would hire someone else to drive me everywhere.

01/13/2013 01:05 PMPosted by Aglaea
THIS FAR, NO FURTHER!!!!

I love Patrick Stewart so much.
I love driving. I didn't like hearing a *smash* and having my lap covered in glass.
I actually recently got my learner's permit and have been practicing, driving freaks me the hell out, nothing actually feels like it should be working the way it does.

It was ok in an empty parking lot... but then we had the bright idea to have me drive home... terrifying...
01/13/2013 01:17 PMPosted by Muletia

serves you right for driving on the wrong side of the road you barbarian!

i'm glad you are ok!

driving is scary, i really hate it, its probably made worse by the fact that all cars are waaaay to big for me, never been in an accident , but been really close a few times.

i once had the hood of my older model car flip up onto my front windshield while i was driving along the major highway that runs north south through boston. one of the scariest experiences in my whole life.
01/13/2013 01:17 PMPosted by Muletia
So .. just had a car accident driving to work. Fortunately it was only a broken window and wing mirror

Glad you're safe and the insurance didn't give you a coronary.

01/13/2013 02:11 PMPosted by Darthelm
driving freaks me the hell out, nothing actually feels like it should be working the way it does.

It's one of those things that gets easier with time and practice. Once you start being able to anticipate how things should be behaving, operation becomes considerably less reactionary and more intuitive.

With that said, I still hate driving. Nothing quite a stressful as driving through a city and trying to anticipate everyone else being an idiot.
01/13/2013 02:48 PMPosted by Snozberries
Nothing quite a stressful as driving through a city and trying to anticipate everyone else being an idiot.

So much this. Especially if you're driving manual...For the first time ever. LOL
01/13/2013 02:59 PMPosted by Grôgnárd
manual

The only way to drive! I was considering an auto when I got my Altezza - if only for cruise control, but decided that I wanted a manual. Maybe an auto will be next.

This has taught me that while I may think I'm an excellent driver (I've driven that stretch of road many many times and never needed to cross the center line with cars parked on the side) but others aren't, so I have to make allowances for them - and in cases like this I should just let them go first.
Manuals are too much work.
My manual has cruise control. :|
01/13/2013 04:10 PMPosted by Cayse
My manual has cruise control. :|

Yeah, I know it exists but you can't just hands off the gears and expect it to not slow down going up a hill. In an auto it'll change gear as needed and keep the speed if it can.
01/13/2013 04:01 PMPosted by Cadenbrie
Manuals are too much work.

We could start up a whole Manuals vs Autos discussion here along the same lines as lore discussions in the past, but I won't start it. Everybody has their preference and while autos have their advantages I still prefer manuals.
It suspends while the clutch is in, then goes back active specifically so you can down-shift while it's on. The owner's manual is actually pretty funny how detailed the explanation of it is... but the whole manual is like that. Saturn is funny.

Girlfriend has been looking at cars, mostly with manuals and as much as I would never own something else and don't really like driving autos, manuals just aren't for her. Even the sales people that I've seen her meet with are often hesitant to show her them, and there isn't really a good reason. The autos in the cars she is looking at... for 90% of people, the auto is what they should be getting. People just ditch high-power rear wheel drive cars too easily when they're manual, even when they're pretty good drivers. My dad actually came really close to wrecking one of my Z28's a few years ago, and he lived through the height of the muscle car era and owned some of the fastest ones that were out there.
01/13/2013 04:18 PMPosted by Muletia
We could start up a whole Manuals vs Autos discussion here along the same lines as lore discussions in the past, but I won't start it. Everybody has their preference and while autos have their advantages I still prefer manuals.

Well I certainly didn't mean any offense, just my preference. Why spend all that time trying to not ruin your transmission when the car can just gear shift for you?

But then I am far from a car person, as long as it goes and gets me where I want I don't care.
Fun driving stories ehh?

Was in midtown NYC with a friend trying to get to Chinatown for some grub. Had to use a GPS to get around. GPS wouldn't make up its mind and made us take a right turn. Unfortunately the turn was a one way and and we turned right into incoming traffic. Friend who was driving (a nissan van) had to stomp on the gas and turn right before we got hit by a bunch of cars.
Well I certainly didn't mean any offense, just my preference. Why spend all that time trying to not ruin your transmission when the car can just gear shift for you.

A lot of the arguments against autos from a driving performance perspective come from the time when they were legitimately significant hindrances to the car. While it's still true to a much lesser extent on lower end cars, for the most part it's really a dead point. An auto in a high end performance car shifts better than most people ever could in terms of acceleration, just not for absolute control.