Voidbinders Taking a Break in 5.2

General Discussion
Post Limit:
1 2 3 16 Next
Even Ethereals need a vacation, and the item upgraders (Voidbinders), are no exception. They’re saying they need to go home to take care of business arrangements, but … I’m not convinced. I think they’re just homesick for their ‘space mummy’ families.

Ok ok, fourth wall broken, we’re actually just temporarily removing them from the game for 5.2 due to the new raid tier. The idea with the item upgrade system is that it’s a way to spend currency on upgrading items when buying new items isn’t the clear path. Either you’ve bought everything, or at least most of them, and then spend currency to get that extra *oomph*. With a new raid tier coming, we don’t want to create a trap where people are wondering what’s more lucrative: spend currency on new items, or on the new gear appearing on vendors? (Hint: It’s the new gear on vendors.) To help ensure we’re not indirectly encouraging anyone to spend their currency somewhere they probably shouldn’t, the item upgraders will be taking a break.

Right now we’re planning for them to return in 5.3, which will not have a raid tier, and offer upgrades again as people will have likely have some currency to burn. We’re not sure yet if we’ll continue this cycle of having them take a break for raid patches and then come back in non-raid patches, but we’ll continue evaluating as we go, absorb feedback, and let you know how these plans evolve.
Will this have any affect on items that have already been upgrade?
01/14/2013 10:03 AMPosted by Nezne
Right now we’re planning for them to return in 4.3,

I assume you mean 5.3 there...

Will this have any affect on items that have already been upgrade?

No - http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2013/january/52GearUpgrades.png (GC Tweet)
01/14/2013 10:00 AMPosted by Bashiok
We’re not sure yet if we’ll continue this cycle of having them take a break for raid patches and then come back in non-raid patches, but we’ll continue evaluating as we go, absorb feedback, and let you know how these plans evolve.

Given a new tier comes out, this discourages hoarding. I like it. I don't need to worry about saving VP for the next tier's heroic loot. If I were to suggest something to do with VP, as the tier goes on, it would be to have a way to dump VP which suites raiding. A "goodie bag," purchasable with VP, would be an idea.
I am not a fan of having item upgrades to PVP gear at all, i do not know how it effects raiding but in pvp it puts a large gap to try to catch up to mid season forcing it to be even further gear > skill. I would be fine it they took a permanent vacation.
We’re not sure yet if we’ll continue this cycle of having them take a break for raid patches and then come back in non-raid patches, but we’ll continue evaluating as we go, absorb feedback, and let you know how these plans evolve.

Removing the vendor from the game to avoid confusing raiders is awkward for those of us who use the vendor for non-raid gear.

I rushed one of my alchemist alts to 87 to upgrade his Zen Alchemist Stone . I guess my other alchemist won't be able to upgrade her Zen Alchemist Stone.
Great, please never bring them back. Being forced to cap valor every week forever is pretty terrible, I'd like to be able to have a life besides WoW. Or at least to be able to play an alt.
How adverse is this going to be concerning gearing up alts? Reaching raid lockout points and PvP disparity?

Example being that right now eligibility for raid finder is usually sped up by upgrading a piece over running instances over and over and over again hoping for exactly the right one... Or doing dailies forever again.
Can we at least have a JP version around for alts?
I thought upgrades where supposed to be the primary outlet for points, but it wasn't ready for launch and was therefore added in 5.1, now its going away and we are being given vendor epic again.

What happened to loot coming from drops? Aside from the fact loot doesn't seem to drop for some of us.

I'm not sure why the devs feel the need to make this World of Momcraft, let players make their own decisions, good or bad.
I agree with the VP version being removed, and I also agree with those requesting the JP version stick around.

Upgrading 463 blue weapons is very nice for new characters just starting LFR.
01/14/2013 10:13 AMPosted by Mutabull
Can we at least have a JP version around for alts?

I was going to post this, as it is my main concern as well.

Edit: Although, I guess if current VP gear becomes JP gear, then it doesn't really matter.
Who cares about raiding. Remove item upgrade from PvP gear.
I definitely support keeping JP upgrades as well. Those extra few levels are just what you need to make the cut for LFR sometimes.
Doesn't this somewhat conflict with the notion of not changing the game for change's sake? I mean, you say you try to avoid that wherever possible, but now we can't even be certain if a feature's going to stay from patch to patch.

It just seems like a lot of headache. Do we really need to be playing a different game (yeah, I know, hyperbole) every time a patch comes out?

I'm generally welcoming of change to the game, but I'd rather have some stability than be wondering when a feature is and isn't going to be available.
Hopefully it doesn't come back I don't personally find the feature fun or deep its just a valor dump and I personally liked being able to buy boe valor items to sell or offset gear with my extra valor.
(Hint: It’s the new gear on vendors.)

So what you're saying is- the rep grind is required?
Should keep the upgrades available for the previous tier via Justice / Honor Points but not allow upgrading the new valor / conquest gear similar to how previous valor / conquest items downgraded to justice / honor, rather than remove it all together.
This does not work with my plan to be the most super powerful warrior on the planet! I am most unhappy, on these forums of public opinion, that you would sink to such a low low level to do this to me. You have destroyed my dreams and are therefore the most evilest of people to have ever existed!

I am going to play Guild Wars 2 NAO !1337! :O