Voidbinders Taking a Break in 5.2

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 16 Next
I don't think necessarily having the choice to spend valor on gear or upgrading current gear is a bad one.

The only negative consequence of upgrading gear is certain players feeling "forced" to grind dailies forever.

But, in light of those feeling forced to grind dailies, those at the top end of raiding who will undoubtedly be fully geared with normal and heroic raid gear will not need the supplemental gear and instead hoard points and hit the valor cap with nothing to spend it on until 5.3.

It seems like a very delicate situation but I think leaving the vender in and letting players have a choice would cause the least negative feedback.
01/14/2013 10:27 AMPosted by Xileki
(Hint: It’s the new gear on vendors.)

So what you're saying is- the rep grind is required?

How else will they gate the content to artificially extend the tier?
What about JP upgrades? JP isn't a competing currency when it comes to buying new raid tier items. But if you remove the npc you disable JP upgrades as well. And doing that can have a negative impact on alts trying to get into raid finder.
01/14/2013 10:13 AMPosted by Mutabull
Can we at least have a JP version around for alts?

Well, Blizzard has made it pretty clear this expansion that they just hate the idea of alts, so I sincerely doubt that even came up in the discussion.
I agree with the JP upgrade remaining for the most part. But usually with a new tier, comes a switch of VP gear to JP, along with the standard VP to JP conversion. Is this happening too? And if it is, will we get a little buff to earning JP? Seems like that would make the most sense. If all this is true, I can see the JP upgrade going away for one patch making sense.
Eh I still think valor and justice points should just be removed.
... nice spin.

Why don't you just come right out and say it's a way to slow us down from acquiring better gear, prolonging the length of time to acquire said gear.
Bashiok, please think of the advantage the Season 12 PvPers will have. The next season everyone can acquire the new honor set ( pre conquest ) but the pvpers of today already have everything upgraded, so they will still have a advantage for the next season.

Please make something about that!
Call me paranoid, but I don't think this will be the last we hear of this, and right now I have my suspisions that they will not be returning in the same capacity... I forsee that perhaps the next expansion will see their return as a force to be reckoned with.
01/14/2013 10:12 AMPosted by Nathanbp
Great, please never bring them back. Being forced to cap valor every week forever is pretty terrible, I'd like to be able to have a life besides WoW. Or at least to be able to play an alt.

You know someone had to do this.

You do not ''have'' to cap valor every week. That is something you put on yourself.
when you have small children you have to baby proof your house to make sure they dont hurt themselves on a sharp edge or electrical socket

01/14/2013 10:33 AMPosted by Ibatatas

How else will they gate the content to artificially extend the tier?

The new valor gear will require rep with the faction that you gain from raiding. If previous raid factions are any guide, that will go pretty darn quickly. I think this brings valor points back to 'buy a piece or two of gear to fill slots that have been unlucky for you'.

Face it, we (as a whole) are never happy. If there's nothing to spend valor on, then 'I have all this valor going to waste! QQ' If there is always something to spend valor on, then 'I have to grind valor forever and I can't have a life outside WoW! QQ'

I'm fine to see the point upgrades go away for pve (don't pvp, so no opinion). Everybody yelling about using them to get into LFR is forgetting that people got into LFR before there were valor (or justice) upgrades. I have zero sympathy for someone who just got a toon to 90 and wants it to be on par with the toon that hit 90 before the end of September.
All a smokescreen for the Ethereals in the next expansion.
Here's the best feedback I can give you:

Keep the JUSTICE POINT upgrades in. Basically keep a JP version of the vendor so we can at least upgrade that gear (blue / rare gear).
... nice spin.

Why don't you just come right out and say it's a way to slow us down from acquiring better gear, prolonging the length of time to acquire said gear.

Alright, if you're going to sling stuff like this, at least be sure you're right.

Spending 1,500 VP to upgrade an item you already have by 8 iLvls is not better than purchasing a new item, for almost the exact same amount, that is going to be a lot more than 8 ilvls higher than what you currently have.

By the time you have full Thunder King gear, and you actually have no purpose for your valor points, 5.3 will be here, and you'll be able to spend your VP as you choose.

Pretty much. Once again you'll need to grind to do something with that valor you earned.
nice way of applying a band aid fix to another problem in the game, resulting in no jp or vp upgrades for any 5.0 gear till 5.3 making it even harder for alts to gear up in jp gear or even have a high enough ilvl to get into lfr without waiting 1 month or more for heroic drops if you have bad luck, especially if you have 460, go msv lfr and get little to no loot (cause u dont grind dailies everyday, face it its the biggest crap grind and time sink).
Couldn't you just make it 458-463 upgrades only for that time? I found that it was a good way to get a boost in the raid finder environment while waiting for the VPs to build up, especially as heals or tank.

Depending on VP cost, you can only buy a new piece every week (well a week and a day given the extra if you rush to get the 250 or 750 after the week rolls over), or even two weeks for 2200 items. If your luck is also terrible in raid finder (as we know this does happen), the 463 > 471 ilvl upgrades were a huge help.
01/14/2013 10:12 AMPosted by Nathanbp
Great, please never bring them back. Being forced to cap valor every week forever is pretty terrible, I'd like to be able to have a life besides WoW. Or at least to be able to play an alt.

If you're a heroic raider (and they are probably the only ones who will benefit from item upgrading), capping Valor is easy. You get 40 VP per boss, so that's 640 for just clearing content each week, and then doing 4 out of the 5 LFRs will take up the rest of that space. If you don't feel like dealing with LFR, do a random Heroic every day and you will have it in 5 days. Do some dailies and you can cut it down to 4. Do some challenge modes and you won't even need to step foot into a Heroic or an LFR.

My point being that, you can cap Valor quite easily and quickly if you're a raider. My guild hasn't even finished Normal Modes yet, and I'm always valor capped on my Main by Thursday (the last raid night of the week for my guild)

OT: I like this idea a lot. This makes it so that people aren't confused by the option to upgrade gear or buy new gear. If the vendor makes a return in 5.3 that will give people the feeling of upgrading their gear despite the fact that no new raids have been introduced.

You could just do the raid instead, for your raid quality gear.