How long is a necro?

General Discussion
Just so i don't get majorly abused by forum haters. Got any idea? cuz i don't ._.
Anything past three days, I think?
"Necro" isn't a unit of measure and therefore can't have a magnitude of length in either time nor space. necro- being the latin prefix for !@#$%^-*!e/necrophobe specifically means corpse. Extrapolating that undeath is impossible... I would say the state of being necro is infinite, it's distance... indeterminate at best.

There is no precising definition for the necro-ing of an old thread. Very few people seem to check the dates on them anyways.
"Necro" isn't a unit of measure and therefore can't have a magnitude of length in either time nor space. necro- being the latin prefix for !@#$%^-*!e/necrophobe specifically means corpse. Extrapolating that undeath is impossible... I would say the state of being necro is infinite, it's distance... indeterminate at best.

There is no precising definition for the necro-ing of an old thread. Very few people seem to check the dates on them anyways.

Nah, what i meant was how long does a forum have to have no replies before it is deemed "dead," And that then replying on the thread after (Insert time until thread dies) is considered a necro. I accidentally necro'd a thread and got abused a lot :( and it is a really bad feeling when people call you a 'troll' or make snarky remarks.
I put it at 2 weeks unless it's still a fairly relevant issue.
If you have to question if it's a nerco, it's probably a nerco.
01/08/2013 05:13 PMPosted by Zephoradis
Nah, what i meant was how long does a forum have to have no replies before it is deemed "dead," And that then replying on the thread after (Insert time until thread dies) is considered a necro. I accidentally necro'd a thread and got abused a lot :( and it is a really bad feeling when people call you a 'troll' or make snarky remarks.

It's not a set number.

My rule of thumb is if there's nothing in the past few days on a subject, it's probably best to start a new thread.
Just to clarify, you're allowed to post on old threads if they're still relevant. The rule is to not bump very old threads for no reason.

Context is key. It does say: "bumping very old threads for no reason"

If it's a thread that is still relevant and you have something meaningful to add to, feel free to post. In many cases people necro old threads that, out of context, could cause a lot of confusion just because the content of the post is very old and/or contains what is now misinformation.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7415492785?page=5#92

That being said, if it's an extremely old thread (e.g. a few weeks/months), I'd just start up a new thread just because the thread may contain outdated information.
01/08/2013 05:17 PMPosted by Novalas
In many cases people necro old threads that, out of context, could cause a lot of confusion

That's the crux of it. I've seen threads where people bump or respond to something that is extremely old and outdated - but applied to current situations can become explosive if people don't check the date.

Relevancy is key, but when in doubt, and there isn't an immediate thread about the same topic, start another thread.
A number of factors go into whether a thread is determined to be a 'necro'. One of the factors include nature of the information being discussed.

For example, class balance discussions are very much dependent on the patch version that's currently running. So, bumping threads from a previous patch would likely be out-of-date. The thread may be locked and in certain situations, the account may receive a forum suspension for violating Forum Guidelines.
I usually go with a month at max between patches. Right after one has dropped usually much less time. Such as a certain class needs to be buffed or nerfed to the ground. If it is not of that nature but rather of a hot topic that got buried. It might be okay.
01/08/2013 02:35 AMPosted by Zephoradis
Just so i don't get majorly abused by forum haters. Got any idea? cuz i don't ._.

IMO, it is a measure of relevance, not time.
Here is an example of an bad necro.

us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6759366568?page=7#1128

The original thread was about Golden Lotus from October. Someone explained that you could get 3 GL from the Spirit of Harmony Vendor

The necro'er replied 3 months later that it was only 2 GLs per Spirit.

This was changed in an interim patch between the two posts so the original thread had no relevance making the reply a necro.

That's an extreme example, but illustrates the point well I think.
I think it's different depending on weather it's a serious thread or not it takes about a year on average for most fun threads depending on subject if its something that shows up regularly like mog rating it's better to make a new one after a week from the op or 2 days of inactivity
I think this is long enough?
THIS iS NOT WHAT I WANTED OMG
01/08/2016 05:45 PMPosted by Furypeel

I'd say so.

http://i.imgur.com/WzAI7Fe.jpg

You the real MVP

Necroing a thread about necroing.