5.4 WW PvE Guide: Dance of the White Tiger

Monk
Prev 1 2 3 18 Next
01/18/2013 02:08 PMPosted by Chillbros
You should see his name for MW

Do I even want to know.

01/18/2013 02:08 PMPosted by Chillbros
It did.

Oh, well then. Now I feel dirty for still running double Windsong on my fists.
Very nice guide. Inb4 everyone is a monk D:
I'm debating about ditching Brewmaster for windwalker, (just had a HORRENDOUS run in heroics tonight <_< I'm so squishy at ilvl453) and thought I'd check this guide.

I want to point out, you may want to re-word your glyphs section. You have like, 10-12 REQUIRED glyphs. :P

Anyway, I JUST vendored my double fist weapons like a week ago when I got an ilvl463 staff. Bleh. I'm happy to see that stat weights for WW and Brewmaster are the same though, so that should make the transition smoother. Oddly, the same stat weights for a Combat Rogue, which I'm currently gearing. Lol.
I'm debating about ditching Brewmaster for windwalker, (just had a HORRENDOUS run in heroics tonight <_< I'm so squishy at ilvl453) and thought I'd check this guide.

I want to point out, you may want to re-word your glyphs section. You have like, 10-12 REQUIRED glyphs. :P

Anyway, I JUST vendored my double fist weapons like a week ago when I got an ilvl463 staff. Bleh. I'm happy to see that stat weights for WW and Brewmaster are the same though, so that should make the transition smoother. Oddly, the same stat weights for a Combat Rogue, which I'm currently gearing. Lol.

What ilvl were those fists? It might be worth burning your monthly restore on them.

Thanks for catching that little issue with Glyphs, updated to show that there are no actual required majors.

On my guild fourms I have been staunchly opposed to using Ask Mr. Robot (*without using SimC) and I have gotten a lot of flack for it. Just for fun I wanted to see how far off Ask Mr. Robot was from Endangered's Gemming. Wow I have to say they are so very different. Ask Mr. Robot has him remove 7 out of 8 Agi gems, and replaces them with Haste gems only one of the gems did they have any Agi on at all.

Now Endangered Runs a Sim to do his weights, but that just goes to show you how far off Ask Mr. Robot is if you just plug your toon in and see what it kicks out.

Great guide Endangered

Edit: *

My current Stat weights:
Agi: 1.00 > Haste: 0.55 > Crit: 0.48 > Mastery: 0.32

So due to the fact that secondary stat gems grant twice the amount of stats that Primary gems do, and the fact that my weighting for haste is just over half of agility I should be gemming pure haste for the most part.

However one of the major issues with going pure haste is the fact that this is only a consistently good idea to do on purely patchwerk fights (garajal assuming you don't go down). Any other fight you will see movement and other mechanics forcing you off of the boss causing you to energy cap, which partially devalues haste. It's actually fairly common practice for Windwalkers to start ditching haste around the 5k mark to start putting emphasis on critical strike purely because they find themselves in situations where they can't use all of the energy that the excess of haste is affording them. I'm actually kind of a black sheep in the fact that I've allowed my haste to jump up over 7k, however I do this due to the fact that my guilds strategies can involve things that force me to fist less.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Mr. Robot is correct, I should be gemming pure haste. However Mr. Robot is incorrect due to the fact that it does not consider outside factors that can devalue haste and artificially inflate other stat ratings. This is a big part of the reason that I'm very leery of actually using Mr. Robot, with my main other reason being how unbelievably wrong it was at it's inception. It's a tool that has come a long way since it came out, however I don't trust it at all, and I don't think I ever will, especially considering how easy it is to figure out your own stat weights and reforge/gem accordingly.

I guess I should add in a little section to the guide about this.
Thanks Endangered! Upvoted and sticky requested for great justice.

What ilvl were those fists? It might be worth burning your monthly restore on them.

463, just like my staff. :P

And just to note, you may want to include Flying Serpent Kick in a Relevant Minor Glyph section. I wish I could use it, but I want Jab and Zen Flight. :P

Every ~50-60 seconds, (at least at my haste level), there's a 1-2 second point where there's no energy, chi, and cooldowns are not ready. I can squeeze out a Flying Serpent Kick in that time, then go right back to the regular rotation. The glyph would make it simpler to not fly out of the way in case of lag. xD

I'm sure that's not the case at higher levels of haste though
I haven't listed it due to some very severe collision issues, if you want to use it feel free to, but it has some problems, and I don't want to recommend a glyph that can end up sending you the full distance away from the boss with no way of stopping it.

01/19/2013 07:00 PMPosted by Brewfist
463, just like my staff. :P

yeah not worth it then
sad day when the old guide is actually higher on the forums than this one

up
01/15/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Endangered
Feet - Blurred speed (+140 Agility, and increased run speed), If you don't want the run speed use Greater Haste ( +175 Haste)

Since secondaries are worth about half what agi is, isn't blurred speed the ONLY choice?
01/20/2013 02:01 PMPosted by Xinxou
bah don't worry about it is the weekend and no one hardly post on the weekend.

nah it'll never get stickied
calm down wtf
01/18/2013 01:58 PMPosted by Beifong
You COULD go into a bit more detail on why DW is better then smacking things with your staff. Is it better scaling? Is it higher AA damage? Is it because two weapons is greater then 1 weapon?

01/18/2013 01:58 PMPosted by Beifong
n regards to enchants, would double Dancing Steel yield more DPS then Dancing Steel/Windsong? Or did the (semi) recent change to their RPPM systems shift the weight to double DS?

Updated guide to deal with these

01/20/2013 01:05 PMPosted by Koneko
Feet - Blurred speed (+140 Agility, and increased run speed), If you don't want the run speed use Greater Haste ( +175 Haste)

Since secondaries are worth about half what agi is, isn't blurred speed the ONLY choice?

Updated to deal with this

01/20/2013 04:24 PMPosted by Chillbros
bah don't worry about it is the weekend and no one hardly post on the weekend.

nah it'll never get stickied

I would bet you many goldz that my guide gets stickied first

but I know you have none

It's usually worth pointing out lesser enchants like haste for people who don't want to spend a lot of money on enchanting a lower level item.

Like, I wouldn't put Dancing Steel on an ilvl463, I'd want Windsong. But I wouldn't want Windsong on an ilvl420, I might want Elemental Force or whatever it's called.

However, I don't believe Windwalkers even get the run speed increase from Blurred Speed, we innately move 10% faster, and I'm almost positive those don't stack.

Since it's not in the front post, but most other class guides have it - does anyone have a trinket list, showing what statistically gives the best DPS?

EDIT: Lol. Posting this made me realize I still have the stamina bracer enchant and leg enchant from leatherworking, I need to switch those. xD And lacking windsong on my staff. Fun.
01/20/2013 11:58 PMPosted by Brewfist
However, I don't believe Windwalkers even get the run speed increase from Blurred Speed, we innately move 10% faster, and I'm almost positive those don't stack.

They stack
Question...my little monk just hit 85 and I realized that I'd never paid attention before (BoA weapons + crafted weapons ftw) but now I'm curious. Is weapon damage more important than the stats on the weapon, or do the stats take precedence since monks don't actually attack with their weapons?
despite the fact we don't pull our weapons out to attack, they are a part of the equation. Focus on the stats, don't run around with an int weapon because the weapon damage was somehow higher.
Legit information.