5.4 WW PvE Guide: Dance of the White Tiger

Monk
Prev 1 2 3 4 18 Next
01/21/2013 12:42 AMPosted by Endangered
However, I don't believe Windwalkers even get the run speed increase from Blurred Speed, we innately move 10% faster, and I'm almost positive those don't stack.

They stack

Weird. My character panel didn't say they did when I had them on my other boots. O_o
it definitely is stacking lol
Great guide. This will be very useful once I hit max level. I suppose some tips on leveling would be nice to include, but, leveling is so very easy there probably isn't a massive need. But having something about leveling would help give people a sticky to look at before they post questions.

Why isn't this stickied yet?

Keep up the great work!
Bump, cmom we ned more sticky!
up
Great guide. This will be very useful once I hit max level. I suppose some tips on leveling would be nice to include, but, leveling is so very easy there probably isn't a massive need. But having something about leveling would help give people a sticky to look at before they post questions.

Keep up the great work!

Honestly, there's not much we can give tips wise for leveling.

Grab Chi Wave ASAP, and prepare for things to die quite slow until you get Rising Sun Kick.

Then expect things to die just by staring at them wrong.
I have 2 questions. Is it ok to Jab twice in a row to get low enough energy to be able to use Fist of Fury. Second question, is it worth to use Tiger Palm procs even though you don't need to refresh the buff.
01/22/2013 10:56 PMPosted by Wolly
Is it ok to Jab twice in a row to get low enough energy to be able to use Fist of Fury.

So long as the Chi generated from those jabs isn't wasted, then I don't see why not. It IS likely a DPS loss if you are at 2 chi then jab twice to lose energy.

is it worth to use Tiger Palm procs even though you don't need to refresh the buff.

If it won't GCD lock you, or lead to energy capping/chi waste, then yes, you do want to use the procs.
I have 2 questions. Is it ok to Jab twice in a row to get low enough energy to be able to use Fist of Fury.

As long as Chi is not wasted, yes it is ok to double jab, if Chi is going to end up "disappearing" it's not worth the extra jab and you should burn some of the extra off with a Blackout Kick.

Second question, is it worth to use Tiger Palm procs even though you don't need to refresh the buff.

Only if you have absolutely nothing else to do, if you're out of energy as well as chi and Energizing brew is on cooldown, then feel free to fire off that tigerpalm. Otherwise there are other actions that you could be performing that will result in you doing more damage.

Keep up the great work!

Honestly, there's not much we can give tips wise for leveling.

Grab Chi Wave ASAP, and prepare for things to die quite slow until you get Rising Sun Kick.

Then expect things to die just by staring at them wrong.

My biggest levelling tip is to spec Brewmaster until 60 >.>
Under stat weights, you have "At High levels of haste while still using Fists of Fury you will see
Agi > Hit/Exp cap > Crit >= Haste > > > Mastery"

Did I miss what determines a high level of haste? Granted, I'm not DW since I don't have 2 fists yet, but if I do, I'd like to know when to adjust my stat priority.
Bump
So, with a 2H, crit is the better stat to gem / reforge to?

Also: For DW - You mention that at high haste levels, and while using FoF, crit becomes >= haste as well. Is there a ballpark estimate of what "higher haste levels" could refer to?

Awesome guide!
A couple of questions:

There are times when I'm forced out of melee range just when I'm going to chi cap - in those circumstance I tend to energy cap as well; do I prioritize energy or chi cap dumping first?

Sometimes during energizing brew I have 2 cb procs together with rsk coming off cooldown. Hitting all 3 tends to make me energy cap, especially when I'm running high on energy due to a long previous chain of procs. Should I jab, or energy cap and use the procs before jabbing?

For AoE: Do i jab twice and rsk/tiger palm or just ScK off the bat and apply the debuffs when i get enough chi?
01/24/2013 03:07 AMPosted by Monica
So, with a 2H, crit is the better stat to gem / reforge to?

It's something that needs to be simmed with your gear, at lower levels haste will be a bit higher, but crit catches up pretty rapidly.

01/24/2013 03:07 AMPosted by Monica
Also: For DW - You mention that at high haste levels, and while using FoF, crit becomes >= haste as well. Is there a ballpark estimate of what "higher haste levels" could refer to?

It's an awkward one, you won't see it on a sim (my simcraft still shows haste as being better and I'm approaching 8k) since haste technically is king, however due to how helter skelter a lot of fights are this tier you tend to get forced off the bosses for short amounts of time which can lead to energy capping (thus devaluing haste). If you're able to consistently fist as an energy regen mechanic then crit becomes stronger. So basically those stat values are based off of a fight by fight basis, as well as a playstyle basis, since they require consistent use of FoF. If you're looking for a magic number there really isn't one, however a lot of people find that they're able to start pushing into crit around 5-6k haste.

01/24/2013 04:39 AMPosted by Nymué
There are times when I'm forced out of melee range just when I'm going to chi cap - in those circumstance I tend to energy cap as well; do I prioritize energy or chi cap dumping first?

Chi dump first

Sometimes during energizing brew I have 2 cb procs together with rsk coming off cooldown. Hitting all 3 tends to make me energy cap, especially when I'm running high on energy due to a long previous chain of procs. Should I jab, or energy cap and use the procs before jabbing?

Do whatever is not going to result in you going over the Chi cap and wasting Chi, remember that that Tiger Palm CB procs can just rot until you need to refresh the buff, since it's only worth using them if you're OOE and out of chi + Energizing Brew is on cooldown.

Basically if you're going to Energy Cap in that situation, assess it, do you have 2 open Chi slots? If so then jab, if not proceed to Chi dump until you do (if this involves using the CBprocs, then use them).

For AoE: Do i jab twice and rsk/tiger palm or just ScK off the bat and apply the debuffs when i get enough chi?

if it's a short duration AoE situation, no

if it's a long duration (you'll ScK more than once), yes
Posted by Endangered
However, I don't believe Windwalkers even get the run speed increase from Blurred Speed, we innately move 10% faster, and I'm almost positive those don't stack.

They stack

Weird. My character panel didn't say they did when I had them on my other boots. O_o

I got bored the other day, and was testing this with a couple friends. Even tho the tool tip on your characters stat screen stays at 110%, you still get the 8% off the boots, for some stupid reason they just don't update it.
I also have a very good feeling the new mastery change will make WW not worry about the procs screwing with chi/energy as much, will allow us to focus more on a 'rotation'.

New Mastery: Bottled Fury
Bottled Fury increases the damage bonus provided by Tigereye Brew by .2% per Mastery per stack.
Tigereye Brew now increases damage by 1% per stack, up from 2%, but is now improved by Bottled Fury.
Tigereye Brew now gains 1 charge after spending 3 2 Chi, down from 4 Chi.
Tigereye Brew will now stack to 20, but only 10 charges can be consumed per activation.
First off - great guide, ty. Secondly, I am LOVING monk; it feels like DK in reverse. Very cool.

But a few questions -

Wouldn't it be better to use expel harm when you can instead of jab? I'm only lvl 60, so I can be WAY off on these q's. Sorry if I am.

Second - for chi spenders (single-target): it seems like the fire blossom talent does a LOT more damage per chi than BoK.

Again, probably due to my being lvl 60 and all. But just curious.

Seems the name of the game for monks is similiar to dks - don't resource cap ;)

Thanks!
Wouldn't it be better to use expel harm when you can instead of jab? I'm only lvl 60, so I can be WAY off on these q's. Sorry if I am.

It only does damage if it heals, so if you need healing and expel harm is off CD, then yes it'll take priority over jab.

If you don't need the healing, then Jab is still a better pick.

Second - for chi spenders (single-target): it seems like the fire blossom talent does a LOT more damage per chi than BoK.

This is due to how BoK's formula works compared to SFB. Once you hit around 80 or so is when damage starts shifting back into BoK.
Great. Thank you!
up