level 1 characters having full sets of armor

New Player Help and Guides
Hey i've seen all these lvl 1 characters with full sets of armor on and it says the armor is bound to battle.net account. Where are they getting the armor
Justice point and Honor point vendors as well as guild vendors in Orgrimmar.
http://www.wowpedia.org/Heirloom

"Once purchased, heirlooms bind to the account, as opposed to an individual character. This means they can be mailed to any character that shares the same account and server, including those of opposing faction (patch 3.3). Heirloom items can be returned for a refund within the normal two-hour grace period, but only if the item was not yet mailed to a different character."
Simply put, they're armor to help you level. They're built for players who have reached above 80 and wish to start another character, and to help them this armor not only increases in stats at each level gained but often offer experience bonuses. Thus shortening your 1-80 leveling time.

Basically "Hey you went through the tough part already. You probably don't want to have to go through all that again just to get another character. So here's a bit of a break."
Simply put, they're armor to help you level. They're built for players who have reached above 80 and wish to start another character, and to help them this armor not only increases in stats at each level gained but often offer experience bonuses. Thus shortening your 1-80 leveling time.

Basically "Hey you went through the tough part already. You probably don't want to have to go through all that again just to get another character. So here's a bit of a break."

Why can't they give this to ever player or just give me an item that makes me level 90? Who enjoys the leveling process?
01/06/2013 01:19 PMPosted by Kharnamantic
Why can't they give this to ever player or just give me an item that makes me level 90?

So you want to play the game without playing the game? This mentality never made much sense to me. To get to the high levels you need to play through the lower level ones, that's just how RPG's work. You level your character, building skills and deciding what to improve as you go, in the end you have a somewhat customized character. If you want to play a game where you start out as strong as your character can get, then you're in the wrong genre.

Who enjoys the leveling process?

Everyone else in the game, minus the people who have done it 20 times before. And those people generally liked it the first few times through.
Why can't they give this to ever player or just give me an item that makes me level 90?

So you want to play the game without playing the game? This mentality never made much sense to me. To get to the high levels you need to play through the lower level ones, that's just how RPG's work. You level your character, building skills and deciding what to improve as you go, in the end you have a somewhat customized character. If you want to play a game where you start out as strong as your character can get, then you're in the wrong genre.

But WoW is weighed down with so much past leveling content. I have to get through so many expansions on the road to 90. In that time I feel like I could have gotten 5 (vanilla WoW + BC + WotLK + Cata + MoP = the start of 5 new grinds) max level characters in a new MMO such as SWTOR, Rift or Guild Wars where you're done once you hit 50.

It's not even interesting. The abilities you get are split over the 90 levels now, so you're not even getting new abilities every one/two levels and levels just feel like fluff. You could easily cut down the number of levels to 60. Because of this the first 20 levels are a real chore, where you spam ~2 damaging abilities. Really, new players should get to pick one or two expansions that will give them enough xp to hit 90. I still can't get over how boring and outdated BC was compared to the rather smooth revamped Cata leveling. I just want to go to Pandaria :(, screw the stupid blue goat people and arthas (who should already be dead according to the lvl 1-20 quests).

I am going to stay unsubbed until I get enough rest xp that one mob will take me all the way to 85 and I can start MoP.

Why can't they give this to ever player or just give me an item that makes me level 90? Who enjoys the leveling process?

I do. I enjoy the game, learning how to use my abilities properly, and just wandering around seeing the sights and such. If innkeepers did sell a 1 copper "level to 90" potion I wouldn't be tempted in the slightest to purchase it.

Though it might be funny to read the posts in the general topic forum about the complaints from people having to deal with other characters that have done so and have no idea how to effectively play their class.
01/06/2013 05:02 PMPosted by Kharnamaniac
The abilities you get are split over the 90 levels now, so you're not even getting new abilities every one/two levels and levels just feel like fluff.

If you want, you can tell me every time you gain a level and I can mail you a card that says "one of the abilities you never use is now 1% stronger!" Would that make you feel better?
If you want, you can tell me every time you gain a level and I can mail you a card that says "one of the abilities you never use is now 1% stronger!" Would that make you feel better?

*giggle*

I do.

I'm actually an altaholic simply because I love the leveling process, and so do a plethora of other people out there, including new players.
01/06/2013 05:02 PMPosted by Kharnamaniac
I am going to stay unsubbed until I get enough rest xp that one mob will take me all the way to 85 and I can start MoP.

You can only accumulate one and a half levels of rested XP, and there isn't any way in the game to get enough xp off of one mob to instantly level to 85.

Perhaps a game where you have to actually level a character isn't the right game for you. There's plenty of game genres where you start out at max strength and just progress through different maps killing things and collecting weapons.

But even those games almost always start you off with a weak weapon like a crowbar or a baseball bat, and you have to find the more powerful weapons as you go. You'll probably complain that they should just give you the most powerful weapon right from the beginning, that way you can blast through all the earlier maps and get to the end quicker.

What's the fun of playing a game if you don't actually play the game? And if you don't find the game fun until you get the "congrats you're at max level" text, then why are you playing it?
This thread got a little off track. I just wanted to add that the Justice Point heirloom gear is now also available through the Darkmoon Faire. It can be purchased with prize tickets. This way a player who does not have a high-level character (and thus an easier source of Justice Points) can also purchase the gear.

I think I saw an equation somewhere that if you did the Faire top-to-bottom the whole week, even a low-level character can earn enough prize tickets to purchase one of the heirloom pieces.

The Faire is also a great way for low-level characters to level their professions. There is a once-a-week quest for every profession, though to be eligible for the quest you must have at least 75 points in the profession before you go. These quests award prize tickets, gold, experience, AND +5 points to the profession in question.

Oh! And *I* enjoy the leveling process, also!
01/06/2013 12:12 AMPosted by Adoreidin
Hey i've seen all these lvl 1 characters with full sets of armor on and it says the armor is bound to battle.net account. Where are they getting the armor

The armor you are seeing is known as heirloom armor. These are highly powerful weapons/armor sets that can only be obtained by a near max-level character to send to his/her alts, to aid in leveling. Most of them require you to already have at least a level 80 or 85 character, and they typically require a large amount of honor points or justice points (obtained through battlegrounds and PVE dungeons, respectively). Needless to say, they are not available at all to somebody leveling their first character.

If you have a max-level character available to buy heirlooms, and you plan on leveling a lot of characters to max level, then purchasing heirloom gear is VERY useful to the leveling process of a new toon.

First, heirlooms level up with your character. This means that an heirloom weapon or armor piece will always provide appropriate stat levels for your character, up to the heirloom's maximum level (most of them are either level 1-80 or 1-85). In addition, heirlooms typically have a comparable quality of either a high-end blue-quality or a basic purple-quality item of their level. Since they are always current compared top your character level, this means that once you obtain an heirloom, it will typically be the strongest available item you will encounter for the character equipping it. Most other gear you encounter will bcome obsolete and get replaced within 3-4 levels. The heirloom gear will keep being useful for most of the leveling process...

While having an always-correct-level and powerful gear item is quite the temptation by itself, many of the heirlooms have an even more important benefit! All of the heirloom armor pieces (NOT the weapons, rings, or trinkets) also provide bonus experience for enemy kills and quest turn-ins. Most pieces will offer either 5% or 10% bonus EXP, in a stacking effect. Currently, there are sets composed of a helmet, shoulders, cloak, and chest armor, which offer a combined 35% bonus EXP. This bonus is applied to any EXP-eligible quests, enemy kills, etc, meaning it is pretty much a straight 35% increase in leveling rate. If you plan on an army of level 90s on your account, needless to say, heirlooms will help you get there sooner...

If you are still on your first character, it is important to remember one thing: Heirloom gear is not available to first time players with new characters. It was introduced as a reward for those that already put the time in to max at least one character, to entice them to go back and try out additional classes. Heirloom benefits are designed to alleviate the tedium of leveling repeat characters through the same content, not to allow a first-timer to skip large portions of the game's content and blast their way to the level cap. My advice: Take your time and enjoy your first trip to level 90 at the game's normal pace (you don't have any choice otherwise, anyways). Heirlooms for your alts are one of the treats you know will be waiting for you once you get there..

But WoW is weighed down with so much past leveling content. I have to get through so many expansions on the road to 90. In that time I feel like I could have gotten 5 (vanilla WoW + BC + WotLK + Cata + MoP = the start of 5 new grinds) max level characters in a new MMO such as SWTOR, Rift or Guild Wars where you're done once you hit 50.

It's not even interesting. The abilities you get are split over the 90 levels now, so you're not even getting new abilities every one/two levels and levels just feel like fluff. You could easily cut down the number of levels to 60. Because of this the first 20 levels are a real chore, where you spam ~2 damaging abilities. Really, new players should get to pick one or two expansions that will give them enough xp to hit 90. I still can't get over how boring and outdated BC was compared to the rather smooth revamped Cata leveling. I just want to go to Pandaria :(, screw the stupid blue goat people and arthas (who should already be dead according to the lvl 1-20 quests).

The amount of /played time spent leveling compared to time spent at max level is small, even for slow levelers. Stop and smell the roses a bit since you only get to level through the game for the first time once. It holds a certain magic that can't be quite replicated ever again.

Actually, I really enjoy leveling! Now that everyone on my main server (but one) has hit 85+, I moved that last character to my Horde-only server with all the heirlooms that are now useless there. But now I have more alts than I can figure out what to do with!

Seriously though, I do like leveling, the sub 70 stuff in particular is really fun for me. I use heirlooms because while they do speed up the leveling process, they don't do it too much. I could enjoy leveling without them, but I have them so why not use them?

I twinked my main repeatedly so I could do all the dungeons at-level. It was fun! Questing has gotten boring for me, but I love heroic dungeons at-level.
01/07/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Drimu

The armor you are seeing is known as heirloom armor. These are highly powerful weapons/armor sets that can only be obtained by a near max-level character to send to his/her alts, to aid in leveling. Most of them require you to already have at least a level 80 or 85 character, and they typically require a large amount of honor points or justice points (obtained through battlegrounds and PVE dungeons, respectively). Needless to say, they are not available at all to somebody leveling their first character.

If you have a max-level character available to buy heirlooms, and you plan on leveling a lot of characters to max level, then purchasing heirloom gear is VERY useful to the leveling process of a new toon.

First, heirlooms level up with your character. This means that an heirloom weapon or armor piece will always provide appropriate stat levels for your character, up to the heirloom's maximum level (most of them are either level 1-80 or 1-85). In addition, heirlooms typically have a comparable quality of either a high-end blue-quality or a basic purple-quality item of their level. Since they are always current compared top your character level, this means that once you obtain an heirloom, it will typically be the strongest available item you will encounter for the character equipping it. Most other gear you encounter will bcome obsolete and get replaced within 3-4 levels. The heirloom gear will keep being useful for most of the leveling process...

While having an always-correct-level and powerful gear item is quite the temptation by itself, many of the heirlooms have an even more important benefit! All of the heirloom armor pieces (NOT the weapons, rings, or trinkets) also provide bonus experience for enemy kills and quest turn-ins. Most pieces will offer either 5% or 10% bonus EXP, in a stacking effect. Currently, there are sets composed of a helmet, shoulders, cloak, and chest armor, which offer a combined 35% bonus EXP. This bonus is applied to any EXP-eligible quests, enemy kills, etc, meaning it is pretty much a straight 35% increase in leveling rate. If you plan on an army of level 90s on your account, needless to say, heirlooms will help you get there sooner...

If you are still on your first character, it is important to remember one thing: Heirloom gear is not available to first time players with new characters. It was introduced as a reward for those that already put the time in to max at least one character, to entice them to go back and try out additional classes. Heirloom benefits are designed to alleviate the tedium of leveling repeat characters through the same content, not to allow a first-timer to skip large portions of the game's content and blast their way to the level cap. My advice: Take your time and enjoy your first trip to level 90 at the game's normal pace (you don't have any choice otherwise, anyways). Heirlooms for your alts are one of the treats you know will be waiting for you once you get there..

Actually, the heirlooms can be purchased without a max lvl toon. You just have to run a ton of bgs to get the honor for them. Or darkmoon faire tickets.