Why Can't Game Masters Tell Us About Banned..

Customer Support
Bots. Why should an automated program have privacy? An automated program is not an individual so why can't the Game Master notify us of actions taken against an automated account? Automated programs aren't protected by privacy laws so how does it make sense for the GM to not tell us if the bot was removed or not?

To be specific I'm speaking of accounts that are automated from start to finish.
Because it's their policy not to. Just because it's not illegal doesn't mean they're obligated to do it.
Well, to be blunt, because there is no reason for you to know.

The second is that its an umbrella policy not to discuss ANY actions taken against someone else.
A character that is being played by a player isn't an individual either. It's just a character.
01/18/2013 06:36 PMPosted by Pyri
Because it's their policy not to. Just because it's not illegal doesn't mean they're obligated to do it.

I didn't say obligated I used the word can't in which the opposite word would be can in this context not must or obligated.
01/18/2013 06:36 PMPosted by Snowfox
Many of those bots may be compromised accounts.

If your account were hacked and your characters used to bot, would you want Blizzard going around listing your name as a botter?

The second is that its an umbrella policy not to discuss ANY actions taken against someone else.

Well acknowledgment and reassurance that justice was served would be a reason to know. I'm just wondering what their thinking is behind having the policy when it relates to bots but because its an umbrella policy as you say then that's that really...
Often those bots are hacked account and the characters are someones toons. I would not be a happy camper if my toon was hacked, used for illicit actiivities and then Blizzard spread the word around I was a botter/hacker/general scumbag.
Many of those bots may be compromised accounts.

If your account were hacked and your characters used to bot, would you want Blizzard going around listing your name as a botter?

I would think they would offer a name change to accounts that were hacked and used for botting. Word of mouth from admin of well known guilds can spread across the server giving that name a bad rep.
I kinda figured if they announced every so often that they have banned an account, that just gives other botters a reason to "lay low" for a bit. Or maybe discuss it on the bot forums what happened so they can avoid a ban also. Or whatever.

And besides, when they do get around to doing a ban wave, you'll know it from the sudden and drastic increase in "I'm innocent" posts that show up on the forums. I personally am hoping that day comes soon, but they do things in their own time I guess.
01/18/2013 06:44 PMPosted by Mælstromedes
I would think they would offer a name change to accounts that were hacked and used for botting.

Would you be willing to give up the name of a character that you are attached to and have used for years and all of your friends knew you by?
01/18/2013 06:43 PMPosted by Mælstromedes
Well acknowledgment and reassurance that justice was served would be a reason to know.

It's also a reason NOT to tell people.

If a player reports someone they are SURE is a bot, but the GMs investigate and it turns out that the guy just REALLY enjoys farming Fel Iron and it creeped out by random whispers asking if he's a bot, then the player hears from the GM that the guy isn't botting and nothing happened, what are the chances that the player will be reassured that the guy isn't a bot and the GMs investigated thoroughly?

So then the player still isn't happy about the player he reported and he's also upset at the GMs for not doing anything. What does that accomplish?

I'm with Snowfox:
01/18/2013 06:36 PMPosted by Snowfox
there is no reason for you to know
01/18/2013 06:46 PMPosted by Selenic
I would think they would offer a name change to accounts that were hacked and used for botting.

Would you be willing to give up the name of a character that you are attached to and have used for year and all of your friends knew you by?

If my name had gained PR for being a bot yes.
01/18/2013 06:47 PMPosted by Hippeaux
Well acknowledgment and reassurance that justice was served would be a reason to know.

It's also a reason NOT to tell people.

If a player reports someone they are SURE is a bot, but the GMs investigate and it turns out that the guy just REALLY enjoys farming Fel Iron and it creeped out by random whispers asking if he's a bot, then the player hears from the GM that the guy isn't botting and nothing happened, what are the chances that the player will be reassured that the guy isn't a bot and the GMs investigated thoroughly?

So then the player still isn't happy about the player he reported and he's also upset at the GMs for not doing anything. What does that accomplish?

I'm with Snowfox:
there is no reason for you to know

That contradicts what I just said I am speak to if the end result after investigation is that its a bot not a innocent player.
01/18/2013 06:47 PMPosted by Mælstromedes

So, lets say you have had your account for 6 or 7 years and everyone knew you for those 6 ot 7 years by that name. Then, one day, you are hacked and used to bot, and Blizzard tells everyone that you are a bot.

Even with a name change, people will still know that it's you. There are sites that track such things by achievements, gear, and the like. Now, not only have you lost the name that you love and are known by, but you are also a scumbag botter that everyone hates.

You aren't everyone.
01/18/2013 06:50 PMPosted by Selenic

So, lets say you have had your account for 6 or 7 years and everyone knew you for those 6 ot 7 years by that name. Then, one day, you are hacked and used to bot, and Blizzard tells everyone that you are a bot.

Even with a name change, people will still know that it's you. There are sites that track such things by achievements, gear, and the like. Now, not only have you lost the name that you love and are known by, but you are also a scumbag botter that everyone hates.

I have seen some bots botting for days on end and I will ask about them in general chat and get a flood of responses saying that yes people have reported them. It's not a question of if that name gains bad PR or not. Blizz doesn't have to tell everyone your a bot by word of mouth over the long period of time that name was botting it will have gained PR as a bot.
01/18/2013 06:49 PMPosted by Mælstromedes
That contradicts what I just said I am speak to if the end result after investigation is that its a bot not a innocent player.

You mean like how you would know that the player wasn't a bot because Blizzard didn't tell you he was banned?!? Blizzard isn't going to tell you what action they have taken on other accounts PERIOD. You do not have any right to know.

That is your opinion not shared by many other people who play this game. It really does not matter what the name of the toon is that got banned for botting.

Why do you care anyways? If you have a suggestion then post it in the appropriate forum where the developers can look at your suggestion and take it under consideration.

That forum would be General.