8 year old gets advice about game industry

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 13 Next
Damn, looks like you need to be some kinda of genius to be a game designer. Salary better be good.
Learned quite a lot from that post. Thanks, GC. It's definitely a tall order, but good luck OP's son, and if he doesn't feel that game design is his calling, he can apply those skills to another field. Really a lot of advice for myself in it too.
I'm impressed with that post. Didn't resort to talking down to a child at all, but didn't put it over his head. Very well put together indeed.
Aayia,

Just a suggestion in case you have not yet heard about this website.

http://www.KhanAcademy.org

I have a niece that uses this site to help her with her studies. She just took a standardized test for the 8th grade and tested in the 99th percentile NATIONWIDE, and was the top student in her school in Chicago, IL. She only missed one question in the entire Math section. I know that she is an extremely diligent student and has spoken extremely highly of the courses available on this site.

You can configure yourself as a Parent, and your child as a Student and track each and every item he views, how he does with the interactive problems, and how he scores on the tests at the end of each course. They teach in a different manner than the way most teachers in a school teach, and I firmly believe that my niece has benefited greatly from this website. Again, it's totally free, it just takes a commitment to show your child how to find courses that will help them, and monitor how they do on their own.

They teach courses in Math, Science, Computer Science, Humanities, and SAT Test Prep.

Please take a look at the site and tell me what you think! Good Luck!!
Office tours?! THERE ARE OFFICE TOURS?! BY THE SEVEN ATA'MAL CRYSTALS THERE ARE OFFICE TOURS?!
01/09/2013 10:24 PMPosted by Suda
Office tours?! THERE ARE OFFICE TOURS?! BY THE SEVEN ATA'MAL CRYSTALS THERE ARE OFFICE TOURS?!

I was pretty pumped when I read that too.
+1 GC
This is amazing. I too want to be a game designer, and I'm definitely bookmarking this just for your reply, Daxxarri / Ghostcrawler. :)
01/09/2013 10:51 PMPosted by Flashfyre

I was pretty pumped when I read that too.

I figured that they were for important folk. Which would definitely not be me. Right now, my mind is blown.
I don't know what else to say other than, excellent post, GC. That you took the time speaks very well of you and your company.
Aayia,

Just a suggestion in case you have not yet heard about this website.

http://www.KhanAcademy.org

You can configure yourself as a Parent, and your child as a Student and track each and every item he views, how he does with the interactive problems, and how he scores on the tests at the end of each course. They teach in a different manner than the way most teachers in a school teach, and I firmly believe that my niece has benefited greatly from this website. Again, it's totally free, it just takes a commitment to show your child how to find courses that will help them, and monitor how they do on their own.

They teach courses in Math, Science, Computer Science, Humanities, and SAT Test Prep.

Please take a look at the site and tell me what you think! Good Luck!!

So I looked at the site, tried to figure it out and omg I just don't understand. Guess I need to keep practicing so I can explain it to Alex.
I bet you Ghost Crawler read the article about the little boy and LEGO yesterday. My guess is that article compelled GC to write this. Either way, that was very nice of you GC! Go Blizzard!
01/09/2013 12:25 PMPosted by Aayia
this thread is a means for child enrichment. I personally know very little about computers. so I turned to this forum for advice on what information he retains

As someone who wrote a hand-written letter in snail mail asking about employment information (albeit totally unrelated to CS or Game Development) when still in elementary school, I can see how important this is. I even got a reply, advising me to continue going to school, and then to College. I didn't end up doing any work related to the job I had inquired about; however, I did evolve it as a way to be involved in the community. I ended up taking Computer Science in College instead, finishing a 3 year program in my country, equivalent to an associate degree in the USA. Further, I do find quite a lot of GC's composition to be very relative to expectations, not only in the Game Development world, but in other companies requiring an education (and/or experience) in fields related to Computer Science.
<3 GC
I have to say , I really respect this kind act from Blizzard! Thumbs up!
Just another reason to love the blizz team.
Very impressed with the response to the OP's question. More companies should be reaching out to the next generation of employees, very well done GC, Daxx and Peratryn. Much respect.
:|
Nevermind.