Just an Idea for professions

Professions
I would really like to see them employ a way for us to upgrade and make viable our old gear, potions, ect. I open my profession tab and see a ton of old gear, potions ect that are useless due to lvl or expansion or so on.... I would like to see them enable a profession where we can keep our old sets up to date this should include all professions....

Just a thought from a old player.
Well for much of the gear, doesn't Transmogrify provide a reason to use it?
all of the gear in all the professions needs to be upgradeable so we can use it...... as it stands as is its a waste of space and time. Why wouldn't you want to have your current plans be upgradeable so you can use them and sell them on the ah.... who gives a crap about Transmorphing? I want the professions to be usefull so we can do others things in the game besides daily quests, instances, or pvp....
Better idea maybe ..

Since we all have professions we have at max .. why not have 1 item we can craft that is better than any thing else in game .... something unique that makes it totally worth leveling that trade skill
!
Leatherworking / Tailoring all have their 496 items BUT anyone can get them crafted ..

My suggestion would be to have an item .. say at 510 ilvl that is a bop item .. that way all professions have something that is totally unique rather than just item enhancements !
Professions used to have a best in slot. There was a point when having blacksmithing was absolutely mandatory for most raiders. Do you really want to have to min/max the same two professions on every character just to be competitive?

To the OP: WoW is a "gear game." If there were no need to acquire better gear, a lot of people wouldn't bother logging on. You're idea does not work well with the "carrot-stick" approach of MMO's.

I want to be able to sell new goods. If everyone simply upgraded their starting area gear, no one would ever need anything new. We'd all look exactlly the same. It would utterly defeat a major game incentive.

I too have old things laying around that I might sometimes use for alts or will simply vendor. The difference between us? I don't fret about it. I make the new stuff and sell it.
01/09/2013 02:56 PMPosted by Ashifta
Since we all have professions we have at max .. why not have 1 item we can craft that is better than any thing else in game .... something unique that makes it totally worth leveling that trade skill

They had this in Vanilla and BC...it didn't work. That is why they did away with BoP profession perks in WotLK and created the profession perk system we have today.

Though I do think the professions could use some form of vanity perk to distinguish there status. Transmog sets for armor crafters (engineers already get the goggles), perhaps titles for the consumable professions after they cut, scribe, or mix so many items.