"Remove flying mounts"middle ground solution?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
2. Other people flying related...people who I wanted to force into pvp couldn't escape my ganking and camping - solution, bgs. You want to pvp and are allowed to do that. They do not want to pvp. Why should you get something you enjoy but disallow them the same courtesy? This is a personal ego dysfunction/problem, not a game problem. The fix needed is in the attitude of the person, not the game.

Then why are they on PvP servers? If you don't want to be ganked, or take part in world pvp, and you rolled on a PvP server that is the persons fault, and they have no right to complain about it. Sick of hearing about people complaining about PvP happening when they quest when they are on a PvP server, if you dont want open PvP to happen roll on a PvE server, simple.
Why does there have to be a compromise?
It is not a good idea.

I don't like having to wade through a bunch of pointless mobs in and out of a quest area, especially given Blizzards recent love of making them fast-respawning, patrolling, and each with a huge aggro radius.

No thanks.
01/18/2013 09:05 AMPosted by Besh
I am merely suggesting a COMPROMISE for the people complaining about flying being in the game, so that I don't have to come to the forums and see a new "flying should be removed" complaint every other day (I'm exaggerating here but you get the point)

Why did you see fit to make another thread about it and why would compromise be needed when dealing with an unreasonable request made by a very small section of the player base because they feel it would enhance the one feature(world pvp camp/gank) of the game that they prefer?
Ok, one more time for the people who like to make assumptions and for those with poor reading comprehension, let me clarify:

I am NOT against flying in any way shape or form! I love flying just the way it is (with one small exception, I still think mages should get a flight spell!) I don't want to force anyone into pvp by grounding them, I don't give a flying f*** about archaeology, and I don't suffer from camping/ganking issues.

I am merely suggesting a COMPROMISE for the people complaining about flying being in the game, so that I don't have to come to the forums and see a new "flying should be removed" complaint every other day (I'm exaggerating here but you get the point)

And YES, I realize the irony in that last statement.

I asked for feedback on my suggestion, that's it...please restrict your answers to the idea in question and not your assumptions of my "agenda" (or lack thereof, in this case). Is that really so hard to understand?

Therein lies the problem, on multiple levels.

You said "I don't give a flying....about archaeology"...well, since that is the sole purpose flying was added to the old world, you are saying you don't care about breaking something that is a part of the game. Breaking something that is a part of the game. Well, those who actually do use that part of the game do care, so no.

You also said "I am merely suggesting a COMPROMISE for the people complaining about flying being in the game, so that I don't have to come to the forums and see a new "flying should be removed" complaint every other day (I'm exaggerating here but you get the point)"...those people ARE the people who DO have a personal agenda of forcing others into pvp, even if you do not. Any compromise of any nature is CATERING to these malcontents that want to ruin the game for others by inflicting pvp, ganking, and camping on those that do not wish to pvp. Their desire is not fair, nor appropriate, and no one should be catering to these egomaniacs that already are out of control in terms of ganking and camping. Even if you have no such agenda, by suggesting a compromise you are supporting their agenda.

As someone mentioned earlier, you are proposing a solution for a problem that does not exist. The egomaniacs campaigning for ways to expand their ganking and camping agendas need help, but from a medical professional...not from wow programming.
2. Other people flying related...people who I wanted to force into pvp couldn't escape my ganking and camping - solution, bgs. You want to pvp and are allowed to do that. They do not want to pvp. Why should you get something you enjoy but disallow them the same courtesy? This is a personal ego dysfunction/problem, not a game problem. The fix needed is in the attitude of the person, not the game.

Then why are they on PvP servers? If you don't want to be ganked, or take part in world pvp, and you rolled on a PvP server that is the persons fault, and they have no right to complain about it. Sick of hearing about people complaining about PvP happening when they quest when they are on a PvP server, if you dont want open PvP to happen roll on a PvE server, simple.

Not everyone that plays wow is on a pvp server. Not everyone on a pve server is marked pve. Not everyone on that plays wow wants to pvp 24/7, even though they may be marked pvp for 5 minutes due to a recently finished bg where they did want to pvp a little. No one, pve server or not, wants to be ganked and camped for the entirety of the one and only night a week they get to play wow.

Suggesting the entire pve world be inconvenienced to satisfy the ganking/camping needs of a few egomaniacs on a pvp server is just absurd and uncalled for.
If flying goes so does a good portion of Blizzards Subs you can take that to the bank.

So doubt Bliz wants to cost them even more subs than they already have done.

Beating a dead horse, give it a burial!

What if you add fatigue to flying?

No.

If people don't like flying, they can stay on the ground.

I ran until level 40, I went through crazy questlines for a mount at 60. I had slow, slow flying at 70 & couldn't afford epic until 80. I did Strange Trip & got my 310 flying thanks to it.

& after going through all that, I'd like to keep my damn flyers the way they are, thank you very much.
01/18/2013 09:13 AMPosted by Kathrian
Why does there have to be a compromise?

Trying to please everyone. That is why.

This will never happen in mankind. Ever.
01/18/2013 08:49 AMPosted by Adiathna
There isn't really have a problem with long flights. It's the short hops between quest objectives that are the issue at hand. Fatigue wouldn't address this. A cooldown on flying mounts could though. If mounting up triggered a 2 minute CD on flying mounts, players would be forced to stay on the ground a lot more.

You pvp'ers are looking for bgs. Those are that way ------>

This is not World of Exclusively PVP. If you don't like people escaping your ganking and camping by flight, bliz gave you multiple places you can accomplish that...tol barad, wintergrasp, a variety of battle grounds, etc,......

Stop trying to force the entire world to be a battle ground. More people play this game than just pvp'ers.

I recall mentioning quest objectives. I don't recall mentioning PvP. Critique the argument, not the poster. Blizzard has stated on numerous times that the ability to fly between quest objectives has hurt immersion and if they had the chance to do it over, flight would be more restricted. I just suggested how that could be accomplished.
Is it really hard to understand that the compromise wont be removing flight or restricting it. The compromise is that YOU choose to use flying or not.

That's not a compromise, that's the status quo. Compromise involves two sides giving up something to meet in the middle.
01/18/2013 09:22 AMPosted by Yandere
That's not a compromise, that's the status quo. Compromise involves two sides giving up something to meet in the middle.

& why should we?

If someone doesn't like flying, good for them. They don't have to.

Why punish the ones who do enjoy flying?

That is not a compromise, that is bending to the will of someone who won't use existing options.
01/18/2013 09:22 AMPosted by Yandere
Is it really hard to understand that the compromise wont be removing flight or restricting it. The compromise is that YOU choose to use flying or not.

Except that any deviation away from the status quo only involves those of us who enjoy flight giving something up. It's all gain for the anti-flight crowd, all loss for the pro-flight crowd. Why would you expect us to support a change?
Heres a solution if you don't like flying don't do it.
01/18/2013 09:21 AMPosted by Yandere
recall mentioning quest objectives. I don't recall mentioning PvP. Critique the argument, not the poster. Blizzard has stated on numerous times that the ability to fly between quest objectives has hurt immersion and if they had the chance to do it over, flight would be more restricted. I just suggested how that could be accomplished.

Bliz has also mentioned multiple times that the game doesn't really start until max level and they like to get people through questing to max level asap, so they are talking out of both sides of their mouths at the same time...they want quests done at warp 99 so you can "avoid questing anymore and get on to 'the real game' asap". Removing/restricting flight would slow that, which would be contrary to their other statement of wanting you to get through questing asap.

The people campaigning for change are the people that don't want others to fly, not themselves. If they really don't want to fly themselves, they have a simple way to accomplish that...don't mount up on a flying mount.

People really need to stop trying to take away from other people the parts of the game they need and enjoy. Bliz is fine with flying. They added it in outland, made it possible in Lich King, and again in Cata the expanded it further, and even ultimately implemented it in mop. They obviously do not have a problem with it, or they wouldn't keep going out of their way to implement it.
01/18/2013 09:27 AMPosted by Lhivera

Except that any deviation away from the status quo only involves those of us who enjoy flight giving something up. It's all gain for the anti-flight crowd, all loss for the pro-flight crowd. Why would you expect us to support a change?

That's why it's probably too late for any changes. I was just pointing out that giving up nothing is not a compromise.

For the record, I'm not anti flying. I'm pro immersion, and I do feel that the game would be better with some restrictions on flight. What I suggested was pretty minor. On any long flight, you could remount the moment you landed, since the 2 minute timer would be up. All it would really prevent is players mounting up between every set of mobs and quest objectives.
Really don't get these "if you don't like flying don't use it!!" responses. The point is that flying killed world pvp for the most part. If I don't fly, and everyone else is, I'm just putting myself at a disadvantage, why would I do that? For me it's mainly about killing the level 90s who want to fly in and kill my alts, then fly away. I can't get on my main and retaliate because they'll just stay up in the air if I'm not an easy kill, which I am to anyone in decent pvp gear, but those aren't the people who are usually ganking level 60s.
The problem with flying mounts currently is Blizzard's own lack of innovation with them. There are no flying BGs, no flying combat, rarely any flying mobs... the only thing they are used for is to go from point a to point b quicker. Back when they were first introduced in BC, I thought by now we'd have a lot more features added to accommodate flying mounts, but sadly, all we have gotten is different types of flying mount training requirements and a remake of the old world.
Ok, one more time for the people who like to make assumptions and for those with poor reading comprehension, let me clarify:

I am NOT against flying in any way shape or form! I love flying just the way it is (with one small exception, I still think mages should get a flight spell!) I don't want to force anyone into pvp by grounding them, I don't give a flying f*** about archaeology, and I don't suffer from camping/ganking issues.

And YES, I realize the irony in that last statement.

I asked for feedback on my suggestion, that's it...please restrict your answers to the idea in question and not your assumptions of my "agenda" (or lack thereof, in this case). Is that really so hard to understand?

Therein lies the problem, on multiple levels.

You said "I don't give a flying....about archaeology"...well, since that is the sole purpose flying was added to the old world, you are saying you don't care about breaking something that is a part of the game. Breaking something that is a part of the game. Well, those who actually do use that part of the game do care, so no.

You also said "I am merely suggesting a COMPROMISE for the people complaining about flying being in the game, so that I don't have to come to the forums and see a new "flying should be removed" complaint every other day (I'm exaggerating here but you get the point)"...those people ARE the people who DO have a personal agenda of forcing others into pvp, even if you do not. Any compromise of any nature is CATERING to these malcontents that want to ruin the game for others by inflicting pvp, ganking, and camping on those that do not wish to pvp. Their desire is not fair, nor appropriate, and no one should be catering to these egomaniacs that already are out of control in terms of ganking and camping. Even if you have no such agenda, by suggesting a compromise you are supporting their agenda.

As someone mentioned earlier, you are proposing a solution for a problem that does not exist. The egomaniacs campaigning for ways to expand their ganking and camping agendas need help, but from a medical professional...not from wow programming.

This is how I envision it working:

You have a fatigue bar (say 10 minutes) so you fly for 3 minutes, dismount and go about your business, three are 7 minutes left on your bar...once that bar reaches 0, you use your "refresh mount" ability (on a 15 or 17 minute timer) so for every X number of minutes you spend flying, you have to spend X number of minutes on the ground before your mount is refreshed enough to fly again, I don't see how this "breaks" anything at all...at worst it's a minor inconvenience of a few minutes.

On a side note, I personally don't believe that suggesting a compromise can in any way be construed as "supporting their agenda".

On another side note, is my SUGGESTION really THAT big of a deal? I mean jeebus, all I'm trying to do is attempt to be helpful in one of the number of ongoing debates I've seen and I'm getting crucified for it...whenever you see someone say that the biggest thing killing WoW is the community, they're telling the truth!